1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Internet marketing is an old man's game.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by willyboy104, Nov 21, 2008.

willyboy104, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  2. rbuelna

rbuelna Peon

Best Answers:
    You do make a lot of great points. It is always evolving in some fashion and your never going to know everything, you've just got to keep up with the technology and the know how.

rbuelna, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  3. brand35

brand35 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that willyboy makes a few important points, although some newbies might be put of by the idea of Internet marketing being an exclusive, closed Old Boys' thing. Truth is, anyone can learn from the Old Boys and Girls, put their own fresh spin on things and before they know it, the "experts" and the "gurus" are copying them. IM is an ever evolving phenomenon, and it should be for all involved. Your article is a good starting point for a debate, though :)

brand35, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  4. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you to both of you for well liking my article. The idea of the article isn't obviously to be true facts that are set in stone merely a starting point for as "brand35" said a debate or discussion.

I do think internet marketing is an evolving process which never really pauses take for example the new Google Search Wiki how long will it be before people are taking advantage of this tool for advertising purposes.

5. wwwyatt

wwwyatt Peon

Best Answers:
    A new perspective will never be a bad thing in internet marketing. They will always have the new ideas. Good article though...where did you get that figure of 1.5~ish billion on the internet today? Just curious.

wwwyatt, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  6. willyboy104

Best Answers:
  7. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Every newbie and wannabe marketer should read that article and realise that they're only at the beginning of their journey and if the thought of that puts them off, then good; we want people who are in it for the long term not just in it for the money, who have dedication, want knowledge, are willing to develop their experience and be passionate, not just have dollar signs in their eyes and the false belief that everything for everyone on the Internet is piss easy; "getting it up" is one thing, but having the stamina to keep it up is another deal completely.

Lever, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  8. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    Well said Lever. Its true Internet marketing takes time to master and if you think of it as some get rich money quick money scheme you are totally wrong.

Lever likes this.
  9. tanenqq

tanenqq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice writing style. Looking forward to reading more from you.

tanenqq, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  10. Coupons

Coupons Active Member

Best Answers:
    A pity that most of the time the hype that is done around some products or services give a bad image to the rest of the players. Another thing I really dislike is the guru stamp...

Coupons, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  11. Erik

Erik Peon

Best Answers:
    Very good article! You have some great points, but its only an oldmans game if youngster are not willing to learn... and they want to! (including me)

Erik, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  12. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    Thank you glad you liked it and you can subscribe I post an article a day hoping in the near future to bump this up to 9 articles a week.

Good point, it is a pity indeed. These Internet marketers if you could call them that, the ones who hype products up definitely give a bad name to the rest of us.

Thank you glad you enjoyed it. Indeed and that was one of my points of writing the article although I didn't cover it. Oldmen are not going to be the experts of Internet marketing for much longer it was due to the timing that they were and the experience needed to be classed as an expert. Nowadays you have youngsters from the ages of 13-14 starting to learn about web development. The world is turning very entrepreneurial and most of its down to the internet and its potential.

13. Loren Woirhaye

Loren Woirhaye Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the great lessons of life is to Respect Your Elders.

Even the "old men" of the internet are simply copping and repackaging
    the direct-response marketing game of guys like Ted Nicholas,
    Joe Sugarman, Gray Halbert, Eugene Schwartz, and many more.

When you start reading the books by the dead guys a whole
    new world of understanding opens up and there is a certain
    leveling of the playing field when you read a book and then
    you realize that some recent $2000 internet marketing product
    launch was just a repackaging of a $20 book written years ago.

Loren Woirhaye, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  14. brand35

brand35 Peon

Best Answers:
    In that sense Internet marketing is no different from life in general, and the evolutionary process that dictates which species survive, and which don't. People who are passionate about what they do (in this case marketing), and who want to PROVIDE VALUE as they learn and evolve into better marketers, will end up making the lion's share of the profits, year in and year out. Those who want to make a quick buck and fold at the first bad hand, will naturally fall behind and eventually disappear.

brand35, Nov 21, 2008 IP
    Lever likes this.
  15. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe it is an old mans game in it takes patience and allot of boring work that seems to only be able to get done by older people since they can sit still for long periods of time

but I overcome this by smoking a little green to calm my nerves then it makes us even

ErikJ, Nov 21, 2008 IP
    Lever likes this.