1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Large company wants my domain name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Spinachetr, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi, I'm a noob to this forum. Here is my story. I bought a home from one of the top 10 home builders in the US. The home sucks. I registered ******sucks.com (the ****** is the name of the builder). I put up a simple website just telling people to re-think buying a home from this builder and if they already bought a home from them to email me their horror story. My site also had the builder's logo + $475k = a picture of an oversized piece of crap (with windows, a door and a chimney) sitting in a toilet. I received a letter from the lawyer representing the builder saying that I have infringed on the builders copyright. I took down their logo as they "requested" in their letter (but have kept the site up). I had perviously put a disclaimer on the bottom of the page that the logo was the registered trademark of the company. Anyway, the bottom of their letter states that they would be "willing to pay a reasonable fee to cover your expenses" if I transfer the domain name to them. The builder had registered ******sucks.net and .info 2 months after I registered .com.

I have already replied to them that I would entertain any offers (and that I have complied with their requests).

Any advice from anyone. What would be a reasonable offer from a company that had a net profit of $481 million in 2005? Thanks

Spinachetr, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  2. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How much did you pay for your house again ;)

That amount would be fair .. Wouldent it?..

That being said.. Go for gold man.. if they themselves has expressed interest in buying it, then you should be pretty much in the clear.

I think that it would atleast be worth mid xxxx$ for them to buy you to remove the site.. What a great idea btw.. I have loads of companies I could do that with :)

Congratz!

promo, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  3. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Think of the money that you lost on the house and that's what you may want to get ;)

davert, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  4. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    u lucky guy...id take anything over 1K

ash1, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  5. Spinachetr

Spinachetr Peon

Best Answers:
    I've read and re-read their letter several times. No where does it say they are immediately sueing me. Their site is Khov[dot]com My site is khovsucks[dot]com. But, I immediately replaced their logo with the simple word Khov after I was contacted. I had used the site out of my own personal frustrations and never set out to profit from the home builder and never contacted them saying "i own this site buy it from me". Still think I'm ok?

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    They are so dumb. They'd do much better by sending their lawyer and a team of builders round, offering to demolish the house and build you one, better than you wanted in the first place. It would cost them less and you'd be a happy camper talking about how they "put things right".

This way they buy the domain - you register ***stillsucks.com and tell the extended story - except they'll try to pin you down to a confidentiality agreement which you shouldn't sign as there is no need for any of this to be "secret".

sarahk, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You generally cannot use any form of a trademark in a domain - however, courts have ruled that "xxxxsucks.com" is not trademark infringement because the average person would not assume such a site is operated by the trademark holder. Use of their logo would be another story.

This wouldn't prevent the trademark holder from suing you for libel. Make sure you are careful to avoid making statements of fact that you cannot prove. "Opinions" are generally protected - i.e. there is a difference from stating something as a fact i.e. "XXXX is the worst builder of homes in the world" vs. saying "In my opinion, xxxx is the worst builder of homes I have ever seen."

By clearly stating that something is your opinion, you can prevent a lot of potential problems and legal costs - as even if a court subsquently finds any statements you made were opinions (even though not stated as such), you do not get to recover your legal fees or collect damages.

Refrain from making comments that have malicious intention, which can be "Libel Per Se".

mjewel, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  8. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    You + MS Paint = rockin!

[​IMG]

TheHoff, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  9. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to make a realistic offer, look up how much cash they are generating through operation (assuming that it's a publicly traded company).
    Should they at least give you 30 min worth of their cash flow? One hour?
    If their net income was $481MM, I'm guessing that they generate at least $50,000 in cash/hour on average.
    If you don't know how to get the numbers, just ask me.

ReadyToGo, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  10. Spinachetr

Spinachetr Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of your comments. It will be interesting to hear back from them. How about this for a number $263,790.00. LOL. How did I get that number? The company's net profit in 2005 was (actually) $469.1 million. They sold 17,783 homes..so their net profit per home is $26,379. If my opinions were to discourage just 10 people (less than 0.0006 % of their 2005 home buyers) from buying a home ...........?

11. volvo

volvo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmmmm...... What would prevent every web savvy person on the net from holding companys hostage? This seems very disturbing that they have no recourse. that said...... That is funny as hell and Kicks butt!

volvo, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  12. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    How did they find you? I couldn't find your site in any SE's when searching for "khov" or even "khov sucks"

TheHoff, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  13. Spinachetr

Spinachetr Peon

Best Answers:
    They "found me" by sending an email to khovsucks@aol. They also sent a letter to the service I used to keep my registration info private, but I haven't received a forward from the proxy service.

14. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I see. It's Hovanian huh?
    They won't be able to give you $263,790 since they only have $56,945 in cash.
    Given the profit figure, I assumed that this was a cash flow positive company (on operating basis) but it's not.
    High $xxxx max IMHO.

ReadyToGo, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  15. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking of buying ....sucks.com because I'm not getting a fair deal from a website dealing with expired domains. I paid a lot for their services but I had been getting inaccurate info.

I had asked for a refund but they are to busy to reply.

Premium.com was listed as pending deletion despite the fact that the domain is doing fine. Only a serious degree of insanity would let go Premium.com.

ainmohd, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  16. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Just a suggestion but if it were me, I would put up some pictures of why I thought they built a sucky house -- close ups and all.

mcfox, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's a fine ambition but I've seen a company whose misdeeds are well documented online still continue to persuade others to hand over far greater sums of money - because despite doing supposed "due diligence" they don't google.

If you discourage a single genuine prospect I'd be impressed.

sarahk, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  18. Spinachetr

Spinachetr Peon

Best Answers:
    $500. My thought is to not accept it. How does this sound. I will write them back and tell them of all of the problems I've had with the house, that if they "compensate" me for what it will cost me to have a contractor fix the problems...thus making me a happy Khovnanian home owner, I will give them the domain name for nothing.

Spinachetr, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Your priority is to have a nice house right?

So, get them to put the problem right and you'll give them the domain.

Anything more risks looking exploitative

If they can see the logic they should also give you alternate accommodation so you don't have to live there through the repair work.

sarahk, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  20. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Be careful about sending them an email that sounds like extortion - which can get you a criminal charge.

mjewel, Jun 13, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.