1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Meta tags bring High Rankings to my site?

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by johnxuster, Nov 6, 2008.

hi,
    i'm newer for seo, and i hear that meta tags includes "title","keyword","descrip" are important factors.
    does anyone tell me:Can Meta tags bring High Rankings to my site?
    thank you!

johnxuster, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  2. phinelinda

phinelinda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks get you high rankings. Meta tags assure you high rankings.

phinelinda, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  3. DeCSS

DeCSS Peon

Best Answers:
    Yah I don't think the search engines take meta keywords and such too seriously anymore. Too many spammers online that screwed that up :) Should always be good practice to have quality meta tags anyway though.

DeCSS, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  4. gabandrei

gabandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    Title is the most important factor you have. Most surely, if you have a good optimized title you will be in top.
    Meta description is the second one, it's very important too because users read it in search engine results pages, so it can make a difference in bringing you traffic.
    Meta keywords is not important in Google; Yahoo is the only search engine (after my knowledge and experience) who counts it, but does not make huge difference. If you do not have meta keywords, nothing bad happens.

gabandrei, Nov 9, 2008 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Meta description and keywords are still worth using (no harm) but i dont believe thay are a major factor in higher ranking.

Increase backlinks and increase relevant, quality content.

pipes, Nov 9, 2008 IP
  6. Aldo

Aldo Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta tags are no longer even paid attention to by most modern search engines, especially Google and Yahoo! (probably Live Search too)

Titles and header tags like <h1> and bolded text are good things because those are put into consideration as important information :)

Aldo, Nov 9, 2008 IP
  7. johnxuster

johnxuster Guest

Best Answers:
    for Google and Yahoo, i think it important.

johnxuster, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  8. UncleBun

UncleBun Banned

Best Answers:
    meta tag don't seem to work as important.

UncleBun, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  9. stickboy2642

stickboy2642 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nowadays, most of the big search engines rely on the content in your pages and the title more than anything. Back in the day, keywords and meta tags meant a lot, but people figured out that they could load their meta tags with keywords for one thing, and put something entirely different in another. As a result, the search engines had to adapt to keep the internet clean, or at least somewhat clean.

Google focuses a lot on the content of your page title. If you have your keywords in the title (not overdone, mind you) and some other basic wording that really fits your page, you will do better. Google looks at the contents of your page to make sure it really does fit what people are searching for. If someone searches for "dog toys" and your page does not have anything in the content about dog toys, then you are not going to be ranked as high. Obviously, given all of this, if your title doesn't reflect what is actually in the page, you are going to drop some in the rankings.

Most modern search engines work on a similar principal. They look at your actual page content more now than at the meta-tags. There are some search engines out there that do still look at metas, so it is good practice to put them in, but you don't have to spend a huge amount of time dialing them in.

stickboy2642, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  10. jony1234

jony1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pay attention to backlinks and quality content. They are the most important.

jony1234, Nov 19, 2008 IP