1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do we love Israel?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by GeorgeB., Nov 18, 2008.

I think I've mentioned before that I am pretty ignorant on this topic. Just trying to educate myself at your expense by not doing the research and just asking here :D

I "think" part of it is because they are the one true democracy in that region so we support them for that. But other than that is there any other reason we've even considered spending American money and lives defending them?

GeorgeB., Nov 18, 2008 IP
  2. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because America was established as a christian nation and we vowed to always defend the holy land that is Israel?

I don't know. I like them because the Israeli girl on NCIS is pretty and looks like Salma Hayek. :D

touchAshley, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Oooor...
    it could be because we defend several nations in our lifespan ;)
    doesn't matter what color or race IMO

Brandon Sheley, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  4. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    support of Israel has evolved over time. Truman recognized Israel right away in 1948 when it declared independence. It was a close call for him. He took a lot of advice from differing parties.

In 1956, France and Britain acted in cahoots with Israel's behalf taking control of the Suez canal. The US opposed that action.

In the 1960's, 70's, and early 1980's part of the support was anti-Soviet as they were arming various Arab nations during several of the wars. It was part of the cold war strategy.

Since then support from the US has gotten stronger. We see a mutual democracy within a troubled middle east, that is essentially anti-Western, anti US. We are aligned with Israel on against extremist Islamic terrorism.

We walk a delicate balance in maintaining ties with oil producting nations, defending them, as in the case of Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia, and maintaining strong relations with Israel.

earlpearl, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  5. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I personally think they are good allies. We don't need anymore enemies by denouncing them as our friends.

PHPGator, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  6. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Beacuse US needs an ally in that region, and Israel suits the best role for that ;)

N_F_S, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  7. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some see Israel as an obvious sacrifice to appease the evil disease that wants to kill, murder, and destroy everyone else.

The problem is, if they destroyed Israel and even killed every Jew in the world, they would still hate the USA, in fact it would give them more energy to focus on us.

debunked, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  8. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    its impossible to kill every Jew in the world :) They are in each country and are on a good positions (politicians, oligarchs, etc.).

I dont understand why people say that its "the whole world against Jews", its all hyped out, the only people who are in conflict with Jews are their neighbours, territory debate again (as always). Whats the difference between this and any other conflicts.

N_F_S, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  9. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder why nobody says they love Israel because of the food?

Firegirl, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  10. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    what food? I tasted once the super puper HUGE strawberry from Israel, no taste at all, it only looks brilliant. I prefer my local one, small and sweet.

N_F_S, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  11. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Israel has much better food than India. Israel isn't really that spectacular though. You eat a lot of fish and fruit there. My parents hated Indian food when they were there. They said curry is on everything over there... ack.

PHPGator, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  12. wmghori

wmghori Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    She ain't Israeli, not even a jew.

Only reason the world hate US is because of its policies of interfering other countries business in the name of so called "national or US interest". Stop doing that and people will stop hating USA.

wmghori, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  13. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the subconcious , guilty psychology etc.

[​IMG]

zangief, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  14. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I did, but my post was deleted :(

(I said vareniques!)

cientificoloco, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  15. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    I heard she was messican. Is it true? The girl from NCIS, not salma hayek..

touchAshley, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's the only statement I got out of all these posts that made sense to me.

But my question still stands..... If Iran for example were to attack Israel tomorrow I have no doubts the U.S. would get involved as quickly as physically possible. And that wouldn't exactly be a quick in and out war, we're talking Iran here...

So my question would be why? What's in it for us?

GeorgeB., Nov 18, 2008 IP
  17. myp

myp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned pressure by AIPAC (a pro-Isreal lobbying group) on politicians.

myp, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  18. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    I've asked myself this alot. Our support of Israel is the single biggest source of hatred for us. I don't think it's because "we need a friend in the region" although that's the first and most obvious thing to examine. If it weren't for our support of Israel we'd have a lot more friends in the middle east, ones with a lot of oil who wouldn't be afraid of a backlash from their people for being openly friendly with us.

Being such an ardent supporter of Israel probably makes things a lot harder for us. For one, it makes us a target of hatred and two, wouldn't it be better to buddy up to countries with big oil instead of Israel who I don't believe really does anything for us?

I really do think it's just because we vowed a long time ago to protect it and because it is a democracy in the middle of democratic badlands. Oh and AIPAC I'm sure has something to do with it also.

I think we need to be harder on Israel in order to create peace. Having their back makes us a lot less safe and yet they still continue to do whatever they want. If they want our protection we should pretty much be able to make any demands we want in terms of what they should do regarding a peace process.

LogicFlux, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  19. dc0ded

dc0ded Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hav ur parents just been to 1 region in India..
    I am surprised to hear ur views on Indian food. There r thousands of cuisines which can be considered Indian.
    Gujrati, Punjabi, South Indian, Mughal, Bengali, Sindhi, Bhojpuria are just few names... They r entirely different in taste and come from different regions and cultures in India.
    :) u need to learn a lot mate..

dc0ded, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  20. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    because christian believe that the jews are god's chosen people.

source

bfebrian, Nov 18, 2008 IP