1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is 40 new links to your website throughout a week unnatural to google?

Discussion in 'Google' started by AlphanetChrisC, Nov 18, 2008.

I heard that if you have x amount of new links to your website in an x amount of time, and google finds this is unnatural, that all those new links won't give you any credit. Anyone know if this is true?

AlphanetChrisC, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is true, but it is not as simple as 'x amount of links' though. 100 links in a day might be unnatural to one website, but natural to another. Google keeps track of how regularly a website gets new links over its lifetime. So it is more about patterns and history. 40 links in a week isn't too much if you can keep up that pace. You just don't want a big surge of links or a big drop off in links.

vansterdam, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  3. AlphanetChrisC

AlphanetChrisC Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand the big surge, and also the big drop off in links part, I just don't see how websites can't have a big drop off in links. I mean I haven't really linked websites, so I should try it out before anything lol

AlphanetChrisC, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  4. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    surge or drop off - none if it has an effect. sometimes sites get popular, sometimes they die - sometimes things go viral - this is something Google simply cannot penalize a site for. No history or pattern is taken into account.

What does matter is the quality of links you get and who points to you/who you point to.

kianah, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    talismanclick likes this.
  5. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't agree ...

Some websites can naturally have lots of links in a short period of time and then close to nothing for long periods. Let's say I sell software products and I make a new version and do a lot of PR, this will attract lots of traffic and natural links in a very short period of time. So Google will penalize me for that? Of course not!

The overall quality of links of a website will make the difference :p

If you attract lots of garbage links (and they make a huge portion of your total incoming links), then you're in for trouble.

shihtzu, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  6. Toiletroll

Toiletroll Peon

Best Answers:
    You are not in for trouble, if that was the case I could take down any site I wished whether its mine or not!

What you should say is that the links will mean nothing rather than negatively effect it will be neutral... Waste of time if you spent ages making loads of spam links

Toiletroll, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  7. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Submit a website to 1000 garbage free directories over a few days for the same keyphrase and watch your site get delisted for that keyphrase. Happens all the time with those guys who buy 1000, 500 etc. directory submissions. Site doesn't get deindexed, but get's deranked because the linking paterns look unnatural. Whether it will happen at 40/wk is really dependant upon alot of things. Mix up the anchor texts and it may be fine, that's all I could suggest.

mdvaldosta, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    evolveforever likes this.
  8. johnsunvalley

johnsunvalley Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't be afraid, my friend.

johnsunvalley, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  9. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is for as little as bout $20 I can ruin my competitiors SERPS rankings? I find this hard to beleive.

If so it would be cheaper for me to ruin the five sites above me for a keyword than try an rank myself.

The measure of bad practice can only be measured by the black hat trick on your actual site, which you have control of.

By link building to fast you may simply see no effect of your link building efforts.

anyone else please let me know if you have experienced something different and I will start mass link building to my competition as it will be quicker and easier.

Gazzerman, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  10. Saler

Saler Member

Best Answers:
    google doesnt like so many links at one time. so i think you better inform them about it.

Saler, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  11. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You heard it right.

Too may links at a time would be bad for your site. In the case of John Chow he is acquiring a thousand back links in day so he got banned from Google. Don't worry about your site getting 40 links in a week. It can't be compared to any website that has million of back links. I am having 40 links a day.

Chancey, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  12. DeCSS

DeCSS Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually add about 10 links a day for a week, and then drop off for a week. Is that a somewhat natural strategy?

DeCSS, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  13. StarBucksCoffee

StarBucksCoffee Peon

Best Answers:
    Adding 50 new links to your site is very unnatural for any search engines, especially google, your site will look like a link farm if you ask me

StarBucksCoffee, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  14. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont think even 100 links per day will problem. Sometime buying signature from any forum which contains may be 2k links also , i dont buy but i saw many in some forums buying ...also one of my customers purchased many. their site is going fine without any problem

rena, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  15. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    John Chow made it clear on his website that he wanted people to link in to him as an experiment and made such a big headline about it that google manually penalized him.

Gazzerman, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  16. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Too many links in a very short time can be link spam in eyes of Google.
    Better keep the same pace all the time.

Abhik, Nov 19, 2008 IP