1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Critique needed on my portfolio

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by ariefsyu, Nov 17, 2008.

Hello..

I need someone to critique my portfolio at http://coroflot.com/ariefsyu . I need some improvments of my designs. I will give good rep to someone who give me good critics.

Thanks in advance
    Arief

ariefsyu, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  2. garrettheel

garrettheel Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty good, I'd just recommend having a little more content on the home page (maybe a little bit about you or some descriptions of the work) and adding a little more color

garrettheel, Nov 17, 2008 IP
    ariefsyu likes this.
  3. dan208

dan208 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are a very good artist. Here are my suggestions. Make sure your very best page has two things: Your very best concepts, and concepts of the artwork you like to do best (ie, if you enjoy banners the most put banners at the top of the main page, etc.). I would highly recommend transitioning over to your own webhost on your own domain eventually, although the coroflot site is very nice. This will give you a more professional look, letting clients or prospective employers know you are serious about your work. To them they want to know that it is more than a passion or a hobby, but that it is a job.

Overall, though, the layout looks nice, and I think your artwork will speak for itself. You are very talented and I wish you luck in your endeavors.

dan208, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  4. event-catering

event-catering Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some of the company logos are good. I think its a good idea to show completely different designs, a few of the websites have that rainbow style and they look very similar.

event-catering, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  5. ariefsyu

ariefsyu Active Member

Best Answers:
    @garrettheel : thanks, since it's a free portfolio-host, the frontpage content are limited. :)
    @dan208 : yeah sure. I just need a few bucks to afford my own web host. thanks for your suggestion :) rep added
    @event-catering : :) thanks.

ariefsyu, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  6. ric6000

ric6000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good design, I like the way you have merged your projects with folders :)

ric6000, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  7. carlosr

carlosr Peon

Best Answers:
    nice... keep it up!

carlosr, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  8. BannersLab

BannersLab Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok... I have checked some of your designs and I think you're pretty good!

Colors:
    I would suggest you try playing with color schemes, just to be a bit more sophisticated... I know it's hard to get good color scheme, but when I'm browsing websites I'm using color picker tools to remember colors I like... Later, if I don't have inspiration, it can be very useful for design... I can't tell you how... maybe just to spend more time playing with colors...

Here is good example:
    http://coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?from_url=true&individual_id=231517&portfolio_id=1649225&sort_by=1&

...and the one where I'm not impressed:
    http://coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?from_url=true&individual_id=231517&portfolio_id=1649220&sort_by=1&

Visual hierarchy:
    Primary graphic design task is to create strong and consistent visual hierarchy, emphasizing important elements. Sometimes I see you're done it almost perfect... on the other hand, there are examples where it looks like you did it in rush... Take care of this, it's very important!

Good example:
    http://coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?from_url=true&individual_id=231517&portfolio_id=1649223&sort_by=1&

I'm not impressed:
    http://coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?from_url=true&individual_id=231517&portfolio_id=1649252&sort_by=1&

Typography:
    I like the way you're playing with typography. Typographic style is often overlooked by designers, but it is very important part of design process... My suggestion here is that you can try using more clear and simple fonts. Good yet simple serif and sans serif fonts can be more attractive then some "unusual" fonts when it's not necessary. Also... I would suggest you to try stronger contrasts between fonts and background sometimes...

Good example:
    http://coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?from_url=true&individual_id=231517&portfolio_id=1649228&sort_by=1&

I'm not impressed:
    http://coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?from_url=true&individual_id=231517&portfolio_id=1649234&sort_by=1&

Ok... this is enough from me... Please don't kill me because of too much critiques :)

Cheers!

BannersLab, Dec 4, 2008 IP
    ariefsyu likes this.
  9. ariefsyu

ariefsyu Active Member

Best Answers:
    BannersLab :
    Wow... such a long critiques. Thanks very much. The way you explain it is very clear. Did you get a artistic degree? You seem have a lot of understanding of art. Well, I must admit, the design you are like at, I designed it with love in my brain. On the other hand, the design you are not impressed at, I designed it with lack of love in my brain. lol.

Ok. Thanks again for your appreciation. rep added.

Arief

ariefsyu, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  10. BannersLab

BannersLab Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually no... I didn't get graphic design degree. I studied graphic design, but I left university and never get degree... Anyway, loves theory :)

Yes... it looks like that... sometimes it's hard to get good design if you are not inspired... but even if I don't have inspiration I'm trying to enjoy in form... not necessary to work on cool projects

Thanks

BannersLab, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  11. jaynewstrom

jaynewstrom Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the colors and the design... but i guess it isn't organized in the best fashion in my opinion... the sides just seem nonsense.

jaynewstrom, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  12. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Pick your 8 best, because what happens is people go to your site, and look at the first 5 or 10 they see and then assume the rest is the same.

Example I clicked on flyers and looked at about 5, then I left your site. Try cutting it down to just 8 total awesome pieces and I'll never know.....

innovati, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  13. Textor

Textor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest a more sleak design. Simple is beautiful.

Textor, Dec 6, 2008 IP