1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think viewing your competitors site can harm your rakings?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by fadetoblack22, Nov 16, 2008.

As part of google's algorithm I think they incorporate the click through rate on your site.

So say your site was #4 and people searching your keyword clicked on your site more than site #2 then you may get a ranking boost because google thinks visitors think your site is better.

Now my question is, do you think when you search your competiors and click their site after typing in your keyword, this gives them a boost?

fadetoblack22, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  2. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, if you think it's such a big problem, then just don't click your competitors.
    Copy and paste the URL and explore their sites, easy as that :)

Please don't tell me that you visit your site from Google in order to increase your SERP :D

P.S.: for the links in your signature, it will be better if you place some anchor text.

zexy, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  3. bleuken

bleuken Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this confirmed or is this just another SEO theory? Where did you read this new Google algo? From Google?

bleuken, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  4. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I was just wondering as its a popular thing to type your keyword into google and click other sites rather than your own. I was just wondering people's opinions on this. I read an article that there are companies that sell SERP clicking services from different ips.

Don't worry I'm not one of those people who have nothing better to do than check my site in google.

Yeh, thanks I will change my sig links.

5. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    I have read it several times in articles that click through is a factor, but I don't know if it is true or not.

6. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does keep track of click through rate. Just do a search on Google and check the tracking code. It use to be where they only tracked click-through a percent of the time, but it seems as if it is all the time now.

As for them using it as part of their rankings, I doubt it is directly. It is probably more of clicks per page, finding related material, etc.

PoemofQuotes, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  7. JW888

JW888 Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to just cut and paste the URL into the browser. Maybe it's SEO paranoia.. but who knows what Google actually factors in.

JW888, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  8. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How often are you doing this? one or two clicks isn't going to influence anything.

magda, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  9. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    I would make sense to use it though. As I said before, if a site lower down gets more clicks, then the user likes the content more, so it is more relevant.