1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The difference is amazing!

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Help Desk, Jun 8, 2006.

The difference is amazing. My site (http://www.dotdesk.com) ranks in the top 10 on Yahoo for "Help Desk". Yet it is nowhere in the top 100 sites of Google.

This kind of blows my mind that there could be such a difference.

Help Desk, Jun 8, 2006 IP
    max pain likes this.
  2. jeremy860

jeremy860 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yea google kinda sucks now, I used to like them but I now prefer yahoo more as they have been really nice to me with alot of my sites.

jeremy860, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  3. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you do well on Yahoo! usually you don't do well on Google. I think that's how things goes generally. I have seen sites that are top 10 in both, but they are usually old sites. I'm still trying to figure out how to do well in both SEs.

I think Yahoo! is more difficult than Google - for me at least - because of my experiences. Things I have done are not working. (Rss,link exchange, and other on-page SEO)

Plus the new algo messed SERPs big time. I really like to know good SEO for Yahoo!

coolsitez, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  4. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally do better in yahoo than in google. I just thought that was the way it went, msn, then yahoo, then google. I had good rankings in msn, now yahoo, and google is slowly starting give me better rankings. Isn't that the way it works?

Janet, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  5. garraeth

garraeth Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree...I got several of my sites in the top 10 on MSN and/or Yahoo that aren't within the top 100 on Google. Kinda weird.

Also, Google bites (at least for me and my sites) for adsense payout...I get nearly 10x on the same sites with Yahoo ads.

garraeth, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  6. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    MSN and Yahoo are more SEO friendly - both have higher keyword density, are less picky on backlinks, so getting a top ranking on those can keep you from ranking well with google. I have over 50 sites and many #1 rankings for competitive keywords on all three - but only one is consistently #1 on all three.

While many concentrate on google because of traffic, Yahoo and MSN both have higher conversion rate percentages for adsense.

mjewel, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  7. brian394

brian394 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm just throwing out a guess here but maybe it has something to do with how many rel="nofollow" backlinks you have. If you have hundreds and hundreds of backlinks to your site with the rel="nofollow" attribute Google may say, "hmm, other websites don't seem to trust this site. Maybe I shouldn't either." (hence you don't show up in the top 100). Yahoo, on the other hand, may see all those rel="nofollow" links, and won't attribute any value to them but also won't penalize you for them either. Again, it's just a guess. I have no proof of this. :)

Or, another guess is that there is a site somewhere that Google considers a "bad neighborhood" that is linking to you. This will of course affect your Google rankings but not your Yahoo.

brian394, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  8. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    What exactly do you mean by that? If you rank well in msn and yahoo, you won't rank well in google? Are their people that only work to rank on google and if so, how does their seo procedure differ? I think what I am doing is helping me rank on all three se's. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Janet, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  9. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo and MSN allow a higher keyword density. A high keyword density can work against you with google. Yahoo and MSN will count non-relevant backlinks more than google - so the higher ranking sites on Yahoo and MSN can tend to rank well with techniques that can get you a penalty of sort with google. It's a lot easier to rank well will MSN and Yahoo by taking short cuts that won't work with google -i.e. the coop also works very well with MSN and sometimes yahoo but not nearly as well with google. A lot more people target google so the competition is going to make it more difficult for competitive keywords.

Relevant backlinks will always help you with any search engine. It's not impossible to do, but generally people who are ranking well with MSN and Yahoo, but not google, are doing so because of SEO techniques that don't work nearly as well with google.

mjewel, Jun 10, 2006 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  10. andrewshim

andrewshim Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know the keyword density range for Y! and MSN? Does that include alt and meta ... or just text?

andrewshim, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  11. jawinn

jawinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Strange, I just noticed a huge amount of traffic now coming from Y and a drop off in my referrals from G. I'd really like to know how this happened.

jawinn, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  12. *Michael*

*Michael* Banned

Best Answers:
    msn and yahoo is outting google in a shadow for me

*Michael*, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  13. xeno

xeno Peon

Best Answers:
    Optimizing for Google is now like rolling dice. Lots of backlinks = decent rating on yahoo and msn.

xeno, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  14. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The phrase 'help desk' is showing a competition of around 398 million on Google. Thats a hell of a lot of competition.

Your Title might be helping you on Yahoo since those are the only KWs you are using in the title.

The first 3 sites showing on Google have PR 6 , 5 and 7 respectively. I think you should focus on on-page and on-site optimization. Your home page needs content and a few headings to bring it up in SERPs.

rosiee007, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  15. jeff forest

jeff forest Peon

Best Answers:
    great explanation, mjewel!

I have one site currently that is facing the same situation here as well...

jeff forest, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  16. Daedalus

Daedalus Peon

Best Answers:
    I have noticed Yahoo Slurp Spiders crawling all over my site 24/7, but I only get the occasional Google bot. I haven't figured out yet why I do extremely well on Yahoo and AltaVista, fair on Google, but terrible on MSN.

Daedalus, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  17. liquidboy

liquidboy Peon

Best Answers:
    yahoo spiders visit quite often but index only a few pages each visit. Where as alot of other spiders like googlebot visit less often but each visit spiders alot of pages. (completely different methods of spidering)

I prefer yahoo's because they spread out there indexing and capture more recent changes over googles spidering technique!

(me im spidered everyday with yahoo, msn, aol, aip etc but once every 3 or more days with google)

liquidboy, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  18. thesaddleryshop

thesaddleryshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Google was first for me, Yahoo is only just starting (a year on...)and MSN still hates me- must be doing something right, but something very wrong too :D

thesaddleryshop, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  19. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    One keyword is at #2 and other is at #3 at yahoo.com

However, main keyword is not on first page.....Hmmmmm.

Cheap SEO Services, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  20. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of age of sites are you guys talking about? Might it be possible you're sandboxed in Google?

MattUK, Jun 29, 2006 IP