1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bidding to higher average position

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by tbarr60, Nov 14, 2008.

For a major two word keyword term our bid is $0.59, average CPC is $0.09 and average position is 1.7. We obviously have a high quality score with such a low CPC. This term is our trademark as a two word phrase and a copyright phrase as a one word term.

I could easily double or triple my bid but I am wondering what the effect would be. I do see a better CTR as average position goes closer to 1 even when I am already below 2.0. Can I bid my way to a higher average position?

tbarr60, Nov 14, 2008 IP
    imnajam likes this.
  2. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    Confused! Who is outbidding you on your trademark?" Since you are in USA just contact Google and register a complaint since they do not allow bidding on trademarks over there. That way you will get no.1 spot without spending any extra!
    Alternatively, I assume you are probably QS 9 or 10 so the answer to your question is yes. You could try doubling or trebling your bid as you suggest and see if that moves you up and, if so, what your CPC will be. Obviously, it is going to increase hugely, more than 59c anyway, so the next question would be if the increase in CTR and, more importantly, conversions outweighs the extra cost?

bjewelled, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  3. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They do allow bidding on trademarked keywords, you just can't use a trademark in your ad copy. I bid on my competitors names and trademarks as the rules allow.

The conversion costs are very low for us so I am trying to get as much traffic as possible and it seems the closer I get to a position of 1.0 the better my CTR is.

tbarr60, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  4. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course. Higher positions get higher CTR.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  5. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, my mistake. I was led to believe, by a number of US advertisers who claim to have been banned from bidding on trademarks, that the rules in the US were different from the UK.

In that case I cannot see much to stop you outbidding your competitor. Certainly would not do much harm to bump up the bid for a day or two and see exactly what would be needed. Of course, if your conversion costs are very low your competitor's are likely to be low also so you might just prompt a bidding war were you end up paying several $s for position 1 and he is only paying 9c for pos.2 (assuming the guy in 3rd does not change his bid).

bjewelled, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  6. abook

abook Peon

Best Answers:
    if it is your main keywords then u should go ahead slightly above avg. bid

abook, Nov 15, 2008 IP
  7. PeterW

PeterW Peon

Best Answers:
    When you see average position of 1.5 for example .... is that the page number or is that what ad number you are

PeterW, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  8. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is the ad position.

tbarr60, Nov 16, 2008 IP