1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Putting Keywords in URLS - My Experiment

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Michaelr, Nov 12, 2008.

Putting Keywords in URLS - My Experiment

I had a pile of similar keywords but they were not related to the URL of the site and were averaging 7 on the Quality Score. There had been no upward movement in a month so I decided to get another domain and put a similar website there and direct my adwords to that site.
    As soon as I made the change my quality scores stayed at 7 and then dropped to 6 the next morning. One week later they went back to 7 and another week later they went to 8!

I hope they will keep going up.

During this time I employed all the same strategies for getting a good quality score and my only change was the domain name!

I hope I can get the scores up to 9s now!

Michaelr, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  2. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you see any increase in your clickthrough rates (assuming that your adverts were in the same position).

If searchers think your site is more likely to have what they want, they may be more likely to click on your advert. And a higher clickthrough rate will lead to a better Quality Score...

CustardMite, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  3. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    I did something similar about 4 weeks ago after many of my Quality Scores dropped dramatically following the introduction of the new system. However, all I did was introduce keywords into the display urls and for some create new landing pages with similar, although not the same, destination urls, e.g..

Keyword "red widgets"
    Original display url "www.somewhere.com" + destination "www.somewhere.com/home.html"
    New display url "www.somewhere.com/coloured-widgets" + new destination "www.somewhere.com/multicoloured-plastic-widgets.html"

This was a tactic I had not used before but many posters here and elsewhere suggest it benefits QS and improves CTR. Evidence to date certainly supports the first suggestion and QS improved across the board within days and I now have many 9s and 10s. It worked for all keywords whether I gave them a new landing page or not (those with unchanged landing pages had some element of the keyword in the destination url already.)

But, as for CTR the effect has been minimal and in some cases completely opposite the prediction with the worst cases showing a 50% drop in CTR for all 4 ads I was running in one particular adgroup.

bjewelled, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  4. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    I used almost the same ad with the exception of the url it pointed to.
    Click through rates appear to be the same.

Michaelr, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  5. PeterW

PeterW Peon

Best Answers:
    I see so many people saying that GA can be a huge waist of money. I have a new business Im starting and I get so many mixed signals.

PeterW, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  6. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    Half of my keywords went from QS8 to 9 overnight.
    This experiment is better than I thought!

Michaelr, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  7. Bramcote1

Bramcote1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried the same thing on my adgroups and certainly noticed an improvement...especially when worked in with regular split testing.

Bramcote1, Nov 21, 2008 IP