1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedi Server Question

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by wptheme, Nov 12, 2008.

Hi, everyone sorry about being a such a noob but I need to ask a few questions regarding a dedicated server.
    First- what is the advantage of a dedicated server compared to a normal VPS or shared hosting. Same space but different price?
    2nd- What is a standard price for a dedicated server with these specs
    Intel Dual Core ,1.6Ghz,512MB RAM,1 x320GB,1 IP,Linux or Windows(wats the differece?In shared hosting what do we usually use?),Guaranteed Bandwidth 512kbps (?? Does this mean we can have a guranteed 512KB per second bandwith usage? or around 0.5 MB per second or 30MB per minute or 1.8GB per hours or 43.2GB each day or 1.3TB per month?) and wat is Shared Firewall? Thanks

Thats all my question. I do hope to get a good answer plus a recommendation for the best hosting available here for service and price value.
    p/s- last Q, when we buy a Dedicated server how do we enter and manage our server. Thanks

wptheme, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  2. jamesterror

jamesterror Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi wptheme,

I think your digging deep if you don't have any experience. I know we all have to start somewhere, but its best to start with like a reseller, then get a VPS or dedicated server. Theres no point diving in.

First Question, Dedicated Server & VPS are basically the same thing, its like you have part of the server for your use.

Second, crazy question. You can't put a standard price on specs IMO. The best answer I can offer to that is, shop about, ask for quotes, compete with companies.

Linux, you tend to save cash as its command driven and free.
    Windows Server prices vary, if I wanted to have Windows Server 2003 I'd have to pay £15 extra for the license. Basically, these are just the operating systems the server will operate to run your control panel, like cPanel or Direct Admin.

The bandwidth guarantee is probably the allocation of speed.

I think, you'd be best with a reseller to start and establish, I can provide you with low cost resellers, check http://www.5wire.co.uk/resellers.php

As you don't know how to access a Windows Server or Linux server you are very stuck. Linux is command driven, if you don't know how to access it, you will end up paying more for Windows and causing RAM usage to increase.

You access Linux via a program such as putty, and connect to windows via Remote Desktop which is built in with Windows.

Regards,
    James

jamesterror, Nov 12, 2008 IP
    wptheme likes this.
  3. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 2
    I see. Thanks a lot. I am currently using a reseller but just for my sites. Rep+

wptheme, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  4. jamesterror

jamesterror Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks mate.

Well, if you require a reseller with greater space, and bandwidth I can offer you a great price to help you get started.

If you are looking for a server, I may be able to speak to my provider and sort you a good deal out but the thing is, I rekon your best getting a reseller on the go, and a very cheap VPS to play about with.

James

jamesterror, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  5. samcroft11

samcroft11 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The specs of your machine seem a bit on the low side, seeing as that processor speed looks like it is a lower-spec processor.

The 512Kbps is quite a lot speed for a dedicated server. Even though you are getting it on a dedicated line. Most servers come with a 100Mbps line but on a bandwidth restriction. A 512Kbps line would not be able to push much, on a constant usage for 1Mbps you would get 330Gbish, so half of that on a 512Kbps line.

The RAM is also quite low so would suffer with some scripts and a control panel such as cPanel.

Most systems you see run on a Linux core, probably what your shared hosting is ran on, a LAMP setup with a control panel such as cPanel or DirectAdmin.

Once you have a control panel installed, you can mostly run a server yourself, you need to check with what sort of management is included with a server before you purchase it. If it is unmanaged (doeverythingyourself), basic management (usually means that they will help you with the control panel) or full (where they will do everything).

Price depends on the quality of the machine, datacentre, network and which managment you choose.

A price for that server could range from $60 to $100, depending on a number of things.

If you want a fully managed quality server, I'd go for a provider such as singlehop.com, softlayer, liquidweb, etc.

Or an unmanaged provider such as Justedge or off someone on here.

Also bear in mind that it may be good to go with a VPS provider at first, then move onto a dedicated server. VPSs are generally easier to manage and have lower costs, also on licenses.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Thanks,
    Sam - ClanDrive.com Co-Owner.

samcroft11, Nov 12, 2008 IP
    wptheme likes this.
  6. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 2
    Thanks great answer. rep +
    Seems like I will take a look at VPS soon.

wptheme, Nov 12, 2008 IP
    samcroft11 likes this.
  7. adam@thevpsguy

adam@thevpsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    IT also depends on the kind of VPS, for instance a XEN VPS is more of a dedicated server like environment. An openvz VPS is a hybrid, because if one user uses all of there available ram, you might not get your allocated "burst-able" ram. With a xen VPS, everything is pre-allocated, and as such, you get what you pay for. With an openvz VPS, you may even be using swap space instead of ram, in some cases, and that does not occur with XEN.

adam@thevpsguy, Nov 12, 2008 IP