1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any DMOZ editor here?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by goldensea80, Jun 6, 2006.

I've been trying to submit my website for nearly a month but no response. I wonder if there are any DMOZ editor wandering around here?

goldensea80, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  2. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    You will not get a response for a suggested site to the directory.

gboisseau, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  3. goldensea80

goldensea80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Humm, so you are one. I am just wondering. It seems that there are not enough editors compares to the huge number of websites to be reviewed?

goldensea80, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  4. Caios

Caios Peon

Best Answers:
    gboisseau, how can you see who is the editor of a specifc category?

Caios, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  5. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    You can look at bottom of the category to see any listed editors. Also, any editor up the category tree can edit in those subcats. :)

jjwill, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  6. Caios

Caios Peon

Best Answers:
    ah I see now thanks, I think Id been looking at categories without an editor that may explain my difficulties in getting listed.

Caios, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  7. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    We can always use more quality editors to help us. Please remember that reviewing suggestions to the ODP is only apart of what editors do. Finding sites to fill in categories that are under represented, creating new categories to enhance the directory, looking for sites that are eiter dead, misplaced, hijacked, etc. Of course, there are the daily updates to wade through. Some of us also mentor new editors, look for quality issues, give a hand with special projects that pop up from time to time. The metas and catmods review new editor applications and provide guidance to the other editors.

We are volunteers - we do this because we enjoy doing this - not because we have to. We edit where we want to (or where we have permissions to), when we want to, for how long we want to. We do not have a quota, we do not have to sit at our computers 24/7 to make the SEOs happy. We take pride in what we do, and do it because we have pride in the directory.

While there are always accusations of editors using the directory for their personal gain (you will see this in this forum and others (no, gworld and minstrel - this is not an open invitation to hijack this thread, again)), I can assure you that this is a very small number. When found out, these editors are quickly removed.

The bottom line is, we need good editors who care about what they do, and edit because they want to help keep the ODP the great directory it is. :)

gboisseau, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

gworld, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  9. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    gworld - do you have a life - or do you just troll these forums and try to make a fool of yourself? Just wondering. BTW, nice self-portrait. LOL!

orlady likes this.
  10. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    And of course gworld can't help but put in his two "pigs" worth. :rolleyes:

What gb said is the world of the ODP in a nut shell. Anyone who enjoys collecting, categorizing, proofreading, or other similar activities - would probably enjoy editing. I highly recommend it as a stress reliever - as long as you stay away from forums like these when stressed :p

lmocr, Jun 7, 2006 IP
    gboisseau likes this.
  11. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Yes there are quite a few.

sji2671, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  12. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    Or you need a real dose of humor - sort of like reading a thread that was hijacked by Bevis and/or Butthead.

13. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It can take anywhere from one day to over 3 years before an editor even looks at your site. It depends on the category, but I would say a year wait is not uncommon. The vast majority of sites are not accepted.

It's worth the time to submit, but it isn't the end of the world if you are not accepted. DMOZ is vastly overrated in what it will do for traffic or SERPS - although I do still believe it has a minor benefit with google in SERPS, it isn't like it once was with google now ignoring or discounting all the DMOZ clones. I have top level listings and the traffic generated is next to zero.

Make sure you submit to the right category and do not submit it more than once.

mjewel, Jun 7, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  14. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Have you considered the thought that maybe your site is a pile of pish :rolleyes:

I don't think you get a response anyway :confused: there are no email notifications if you get listed or not, as mjewel said it can take some time.

sji2671, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  15. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyway gworld, thanks for sharing your rich abundance of pictures. I only hope nobody dies from an overdose.;)

vulcano, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  16. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is the one in your signature then in its current condition (lack of content relative to competitors) you have more chance of finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than getting listed. Build it up, promote it, make it the best of its kind in the world, and then you might have a chance. By that point you won't care about a DMOZ listing. But then none of the best sites care about a DMOZ listing, they just focus on their content.

brizzie, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  17. goldensea80

goldensea80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can see that gboisseau has a lot of medal or kind of :D

Right , it'd better to do something useful than trying in vain.

goldensea80, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As gboisseau says, there's an easy solution to that problem - apply to be an editor.

Ref: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=90638

sarahk, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  19. xuncoder

xuncoder Peon

Best Answers:
    I applied several times to became dmoz editor, but I never was accepted.

xuncoder, Jun 17, 2006 IP