1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A reliable back link report

Discussion in 'Google' started by Sean@WMS, Nov 10, 2008.

To the best of my knowledge, no one expects a reliable back link report from a Google querry. Other tools I've looked at simply query Google, so they have been worthless.

I'd like to know if anyone has a reliable way to check against back links (others sites linking to a site in question).

For example, I know well that I've a good number of sites linking back to me with one way (from them to me) links, but they no longer show at all in a Google querry nor on other tools I've found so far.

I'm looking for a way to fully account for back links.

EDIT: Just happened to check this post is another broser and saw a Rich Jerk (hate that A-Hole) somehow tagging a post onto my post here somehow. Any idea how this was accomplished and how I can prevent it in the future?

Sean@WMS, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  2. pawanpandey78

pawanpandey78 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I am facing the same problem with Google webmaster tool !! no exact information there for external back links

pawanpandey78, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  3. Wizeress

Wizeress Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm struggling with spending months creating backlinks and discovering that none of them are being displayed in results from a google link search or a free backlink SEO site tool. HELP! I'd like too see the fruits of my labor are paying off somewhere over the rainbow.

ps. I know I'm a newbie to this forum...but must I carry the label "peon"...geezz

Wizeress, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  4. isolvum

isolvum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    isolvum, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  5. patzz

patzz Member

Best Answers:
    there is firefox extention that has ability of inspet your site backlink count but it doesnt mean it shows every individual site names that has link to you. only the number of sites

patzz, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  6. Sean@WMS

Sean@WMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember looking at this one, and the stats here seem rather over the top.

Anyone have any advice on how reliable MarketLeap is on this?

7. Sean@WMS

Sean@WMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Mind looking up the name of the FF plugin for folks tracking this?

8. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will not give exact bcz not giving the current. Better check some others like
    http://www.seologs.com/seo-tools.html
    http://www.diagnosticoweb.com/

rena, Nov 11, 2008 IP
    Sean@WMS likes this.
  9. Wizeress

Wizeress Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also curious on marketleaps reliability. It seems to have more accurate information than the tool I was using. I would like to match it up to the stats in the FF plugin....I'll be looking for the name in this thread.

Wizeress, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  10. tukarinfobispak

tukarinfobispak Peon

Best Answers:
    tukarinfobispak, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  11. GoGlobal

GoGlobal Peon

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is
    backlinkwatch.com it's very better result for reliable back link generate report.

GoGlobal, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  12. UncleBun

UncleBun Banned

Best Answers:
    linkdomain:yourdomain.com (search at yahoo.) this is the most up to date backlink check.

UncleBun, Nov 12, 2008 IP
    Sean@WMS likes this.
  13. javaidanwar

javaidanwar Guest

Best Answers:
    if you dont mind paying checkout some of the brad callen stuff its pretty good, other than that use firefox there are so many free SEO adins i'm very impressed with it, maybe the other guy tagged your post by just copying the link into his post, nothing you can do about that

javaidanwar, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  14. mavros

mavros Peon

Best Answers:
    mavros, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  15. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use Yahoo! generally for checking backlinks. I don't get a report, but Yahoo! provides most of the backlinks (remove no-follow ones from the result for Google)

mixke, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  16. pluto1

pluto1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure if you will find what you are looking for, but I use this backlink checker tool and am pretty satisfied with the results.

pluto1, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  17. Radamel

Radamel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Yahoo Internet Explorer and Backlinkwatch.
    Results are almost the same.

Radamel, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  18. pitagora

pitagora Peon

Best Answers:
    use yahoo site explorer: https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

It's a lot more accurate then google

pitagora, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  19. meridiancrest

meridiancrest Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's mostly blogs I would recommend just monitoring Technorati or Google Blog Updates.

Technorati is very accurate.

meridiancrest, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  20. Sean@WMS

Sean@WMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for your feed back on this.

After checking everything out, here's what I've found:

Yahoo! Site Explorer seems to be the most comprehensive, accurate and flexible, exp. using the linkdomain: query syntax. From here you can refine based on the exact page, the whole domain, exclude internal links, etc. Very helpful. However, I still can't quite figure out what sense to make of the link: query synatx; this returns results I can't make much sense of.

I also found the SEOQuake add-on for FireFox to be very interesting and consistently accurate vis a vis the linkdomain: query syntax on Yahoo! Site Explorer. One nice aspect of this tool is that you can navigate into a site and check quickly for page-specific bank links.

Backlink Watch was also an interesting tool. Seems to be accurate when comparing with specific pages ( not the whole domain ) on Yahoo! Site Explorer; however, it also provides some nice info such as anchor text/img used in the link back, PR of the page linking back, the number of outbound links on the page linking back, and a flag as to whether a nofollow was used on the link.

DiagnosticoWeb was interesting as a nice overview of info from WHOIS info down to back links, pages indexed, outbound vs. internal links on a page, etc. but I didn't find the back link data accurate -- though it does give you the links to the sources where you can get more accurate info as those sources report them.

The Backlinks Analyzer Tool from Webmasterlogs.com seems to approach this in a very different fashion, but providees some interesting data such as the number of unique commercial domains linking back and the number of unique C Blocks ( important vis a vis Google's algorithm ).

About the only value I found in MarketLeap Link Popularity Check is that it gives a sketch of where you are vis a vis competitors or on the web overall; however, it's hard to say how accurate it is as the Google link: query is worthless and the Yahoo! link: query (which is what it uses) is mysterious compared with the linkdomain: query. Given all of this and the niche nature of SEM, this tool doesn't seem very helpful at all to me.

I found the khrido.com back link checker completely worthless.

Someone else mentioned using the link: query syntax on MSN Live search, but that doesn't seem to work.

At the end of the day, it looks like using Yahoo! Site Explorer with the linkdomain: query syntax provides the most comprehensize, accurate and flexible reports. Some other tools, such as Backlink Watch and the Backlinks Analyzer Tool, can provide some other interesting infomation.

EDIT: Should have done this ealier, but I've also found Google WebMaster Tools very helpful, esp. to see what Google is seeing. The results here are very different, though as Google seems to take a very different approach than Yahoo! does.

What I'm seeing now is that to get a good sense of what is factored in on one's back links, one should use a number of tools, namely Yahoo! Site Explorer with the linkdomain: query syntax, Goolge WebMaster Tools, and then Backlink Watch & Backlinks Analyzer Tool for other data of interest.

Sean@WMS, Nov 12, 2008 IP