1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yippeeeeeee!!!!! Just had to tell someone

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Cryptonorb, May 20, 2006.

Listed 5 days after first submission :) :D :)

Now I walk around with a big smile and say 'I've been DMOZZED' to people. They think I'm some sort of wierd or stupid but, hey, it's a nice buzz.

Cheers

Norb

Cryptonorb, May 20, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  2. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations. Thats a very good news to hear and No your not weird I will be in the very same position if I hear such.:)

buratssky, May 20, 2006 IP
  3. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it depends editor ????

asterix, May 20, 2006 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    [SIZE=-1]Congratulations on being DMOZZED! You must have a really good site. All the best to you! :)[/SIZE]

compostannie, May 20, 2006 IP
  5. Cryptonorb

Cryptonorb Peon

Best Answers:
    All good fun!

Someone donated an old computer so I thought I'd set it up as a server, been thinking about doing that for a while. Got Linux with Apache and plugged things in and, after a bit of writing, it was up. Part of it is the statistics, it's not the be all and end all but...

Anyway I submitted to Google then found out about DMOZ and, although I'd read some of the moans about it, it all seemed fair enough. I gave it a go last Sunday and had a look yesterday. The catagory hadn't been edited for three months and then.... it had!!

Mine wasn't there, but it was! The editor had edited the title and description I had given so I missed it.

Hope I don't get too much extra traffic, my upload speed is only 10kB/s. :eek:

Cheers

Norb

Cryptonorb, May 20, 2006 IP
  6. libervisco

libervisco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Heh you've just motivated me to submit my new site to DMOZ. :D Who knows.. maybe they add me as fast as well. ;)

libervisco, May 24, 2006 IP
  7. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    congo buddy... movtivates me too to sumbit mine to dmoz :D

humm, May 24, 2006 IP
  8. Cryptonorb

Cryptonorb Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck with your submissions.:)

I think I was lucky coz my category is a bit specialized and there's not too much in there anyway. So far I got a few more hits from some bots, nothing from referalls and......

Had my first spam e-mail to webmaster@mydomain.com.:mad:

Now I can spamvertise my site with e-mails to 8,000,000 people for FREE.

Norb

Strange stuff,

Used to have most of my pages listed on Google, site:mydomain.com. Now they've all dissapeared apart from the front page.

Now MSN lists most of them and Yahoo has two.

Ah well.:rolleyes:

Norb

Cryptonorb, May 24, 2006 IP
  9. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    all the best good, hope you get more traffic :cough: spammer .. oops I mean visitors. ;)

humm, May 25, 2006 IP
  10. Travis

Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations!

You know what's really fun? Trying to get listed in a category with no editor ;).
    I think most would agree that a 5 day turnaround is quite impressive...was it a large category or a small one?

Travis, May 27, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. Cryptonorb

Cryptonorb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

You're right, the category only has 28 listings. I drilled down to find what was appropriate and came up with two. The one I placed it in might not have been my first choice but it was the best match.....

I guess if there is no editor you might submit and then move up the list to find a contact and ask them to have a look. The worst you can do is upset someone but, personally speaking, if I got a one off request I'd give the site a look and act accordingly..... No I am not an editor.

Good Luck :)

Norb

Oh.... My fault on the Google thing.

I reorganised suff coz it was getting messy on the server so all the links went phut!

Re-submitted to Google the bot came back and it looks like the list is being rebuilt.

I've been having a look at the referrer logs and got a couple of hits from searches in MSN and Google.

It's a game.... :rolleyes:

Norb

Big surprise is that some of the search engine referrals involve simple three word stuff and the site mostly hits the top 20 returns and does a couple of firsts....

Well, maybe it's not surprising. I suppose no-one is going to go down to the 147th result, someone did.....

Nothing from DMOZ yet...

I see Google Directory is Copyright 2005. Does that mean they haven't updated it for a long time?

Page Rank is still 2 on the front page, zero on the others I have looked at.

Norb

Cryptonorb, May 28, 2006 IP
  12. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you can predict when Google updates. But if you see anything at all from the dmoz listing it will only happen when Google does update their directory the first time after your site was included in dmoz. Until it shows up in the Google directory you can't expect much. And even then it may help and may not. If it does help you will see a change within three weeks from the time Google adds it to their directory.

dogbows, May 30, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  13. thenetfreak

thenetfreak Guest

Best Answers:
    congratz. If you keep up your work you will get a lot of traffic

thenetfreak, May 30, 2006 IP
  14. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Good job, I know the feeling! but it took much longer then 5 days! You must have a great site.

t2000q, May 30, 2006 IP
  15. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats! Wow, that was quick. :)

As far as traffic, it may help but I dont think an ODP listing is as important as many presume it to be. ;)

jjwill, May 31, 2006 IP
  16. Cryptonorb

Cryptonorb Peon

Best Answers:
    A funny thing happened....

Sometimes, when bored, I go to Alexa. There is a section on the site where they carry contact details for your site and I assumed you had to do it yourself and also provide some form of validation to prove whatever.

In fact I had a play with that bit before this happened and if I wanted to do it I had to provide a means of verification.

Today I had a look.

Now, prior to the DMOZ listing there was no real information about anything in particular.

Today the page referring to my site has changed to include 'Directory' information. Fair enough, things are filtering through the system(?)

But.... now Alexa lists my personal contact details.

This is the information I provided when I registered the domain name(s) and it is not available elsewhere.

Now, I suppose I should go and do a proper whois and check this but, I thought that the information contained in those databases was made 'public' for purposes of whatever and there is a statement that it is copyright and not for general distribution without permission.

And now Alexa has published it.......

If I try to change it then I have to provide proof that I am the person who has the 'right' to change it..... But, if they are not allowed to publish the information in the first place how did it get in there?

Of course I have asked them to comment on the situation but it will take time and then, apparently, it takes a week to update the details....

Norb

Cryptonorb, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  17. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    The information you provide when you register a domain name is available to everyone on the Internet, via any site that provides "whois" data. (Run a search on whois to find some examples -- I don't feel inclined to advertise any particular whois service here.)

An amazing number of people are unaware of this. :eek: If you don't like having your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address out there for the whole world to see, tweak your registration info to depersonalize it -- but do not remove so much information that your domain registrar cannot contact you.

orlady, Jun 6, 2006 IP