1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

bad question: What is Press release

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by finaldestination, Jun 6, 2006.

oh my god i nearly feel ashamed to ask this...

what is press release? (like what happens with prweb, prline, etc)

i have a community forums for mba students...its just a phpbb installation on the homepage....thats it

what kind of matter will i write in the press release...

press release will contain news about my site (like xyz.com launced some abc product or service

or

shd i write an article ,like article submissions)

finaldestination, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  2. debare

debare Peon

Best Answers:
    Press releases can be almost anything you want: From announcing a new product or service to simply describing existing products or services you already offer. Typically it should be 350-600 words. PRWeb and other websites have quick tutorials that can walk you through the mechanics of a good press release. You might want to use the free article submission services to practise before you decide to pay for any PR distribution.

debare, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  3. -Abhishek-

-Abhishek- Regaining my Momentum!

Best Answers:
    No Question is a bad Question bro !!!
    A press release is just about a compilation of 500 words that talk about your new product or service and seeks to draw media attention to it!
    This will encourage more jounralists to write about you and eventually ends up as one of the most sought after marketing ideas!
    Abhishek

-Abhishek-, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Please don't use PRweb's templates. They're awful, and that's all I'm going to say about that for now.

Also, press releases are NOT just to talk about your products or services, and no that won't encourage more journalists to write about you, and no it's not "marketing", it's PR. While a specific branch, it's completely different, but again, I won't get into that here.

I'm a PR professional and run a small PR firm. So let me make this as simple as I can:

A press release is a one-page PR tool that is a standard means of communicating to the media about actual NEWS. If you don't have real news, don't attempt to send a press release. You won't get the results you want. They're not simply link-generating tools, and they're not advertising. If you try to write it like an advertisement, with testimonials and such, any good newswire will refuse your release.

There's not a whole lot on this site yet because it's new and still being built, but go to www.allinfoaboutmarketing.com. I have a small group of PR-related articles there, including a press release template that you can feel free to use and an article explaining how to write each part in that template. Try writing one, and post it here on DP for review. You'll likely get at least a few responses telling you what's good and bad about your release, and you can improve it from there.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jun 12, 2006 IP
    poseidon likes this.
  5. Jamie Lister

Jamie Lister Peon

Best Answers:
    Jenn - do you jsut write the PR or do you distribute to the right channels too for the price published on your site?

Jamie Lister, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The $25 is just writing, and will probably be a special I end up keeping all summer.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  7. topsearch

topsearch Peon

Best Answers:
    where do you draw the line between news and what is advertising? At what point does an announcement of goods and services become shilling?

thanks
    g

topsearch, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    As soon as there's nothing newsworthy about it. If it's not new, and doesn't have some sort of feature that sets it apart (like a new technology, etc.) from similar products, it's not news. Simple as that. You need to remember that the end-reader you're targeting will likely never see your release. The idea is to appeal to what the media wants, not your customers. If you don't give them something interesting and different, they'll ignore your PR, and those readers won't ever have a story to see, and you'll have failed to reach your target market. Think like a journalist. If you were to see the news you're planning to send out, would you say "Wow, that's great. I haven't seen something like this before,"? If not, find a new angle or start making some real news. :) An easy way to do that is to issue a release when your business can somehow relate to something important in the news.

Don't ever include a testimonial in a press release. Those are fine for advertising copy, and not much more. Avoid using the word "you" ever in a release, even in quotes. You're not talking to the end reader. You're talking to the media. And they're not going to go out and buy your product, so don't talk to them like they're going to. Just understand who you're actually writing for, and you'll work it out. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Jun 13, 2006 IP