1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is Barack so amazing?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ncz_nate, Nov 7, 2008.

Besides the fact that he's the first black president omg omg. That's cool and all but besides that.

What is particularly amazing about the man, is it his issues or just how he delivers speeches? Be honest please.

ncz_nate, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  2. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    He's smart, and so understands the subtle complexities of the the game in which he makes himself a player. We have had years of dogma, and I find his flexible approach to problem solving, coupled with what I have come to know of his native gifts, as encouraging. He has shown the ability to draw together widely divergent views, in a way I haven't witnessed since JFK - this is a key aspect of leadership, in my world. I am aware that the odds are stacked against success - there are entrenched interests that stack against any real change; he has himself shown some troubling tendencies, at least to me. Bottom line, he isn't a Messiah, but he is gifted, and I was ready to give him a shot.

northpointaiki, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  3. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll accept that, he's a unifier. Anyone else?

ncz_nate, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  4. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Barack is wonderful because he smells like sunshine and babies!

Firegirl, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Firegirl says obama is a baby eater!

debunked, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  6. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, ok. I'm sorry, I'll revise what I wrote.

Obama is so wonderful because he smells of "hope" and "change"!

Firegirl, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  7. debunked

Best Answers:
    Too late

I see baby eater

debunked, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  8. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i would like to see the real obama.. All this is script.

Shazz, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  9. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, he's an improvement to what you have now but afterall he's just another politician and besides, there are plenty of things he might want to do but are not in his power to do. Personally, I find it amazing how excited americans get about who's going to fuck them up over the next four years. In Romania we feel sick and disgusted whenever we have any elections. And we do have parliamentary elections on november 30th :(

iul, Nov 7, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  10. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I also reject trickle down economics as a viable economic model; I buy the notion that a thriving middle class, viably demanding goods and services, is a means to revitalization generally.

Interesting to me, Nate - the whiff of Obama-philes as "la la" morons. So far, on this thread, can you please tell me where the points of substance are? Did you really seek substantive answers? (I believe you did).

11. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, very interesting way of putting it Shazz. I agree. We have yet to see the real Obama without his campaign advisors ramming what to say down his throat. Only time will tell....

*Although I have to say I still think this thread is ridiculous. Can we get back to real topics, talk about what he's gonna do, who's will be his cabinet, etc. instead of continuosly making this man out to be the messiah before he's even in office?????

Firegirl, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  12. debunked

Best Answers:
    Things that are positives to me:

He seems like a genuine nice guy, like most of his close friends would really like him and not just for power, money, etc...

He has 2 young children which I hope are raised in a loving home.

He has lots of energy and radiant health.

Great and delivering speeches. He could probably make anything sound good. I wish I was more like him in delivery - shoot, in writing, just ask some DPers.

I can relate to him on the level of being a father and husband.

Here is Obama - Real Obama

debunked, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  13. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    You're the only smart Obama-phile :D. J/k zibblu and georgeb aren't morons we just don't see eye to eye.

ncz_nate, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  14. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    That's cool, man. Guess it was more of an ironic observation - seems you asked for some substance, and at the time, all I was seeing was stuff about eating babies, sunshine and other valuable points on-target. :rolleyes:

15. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    I'll admit besides debunked's latter post and kinda iul you have been the first and only to make a post of good substance.

The rest were humorous and fine by me, cause I'd probably do the same thing if it was someone else's thread :cool:

ncz_nate, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  16. Masterful

Masterful Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know much about the man at all. Even so, I couldn't help but feel a rush of excitement when he was elected. Usually, I couldn't give a damn about politics, especially foreign politics; but, on this occasion, I couldn't help but be drawn in.

Obama's election signified a far more powerful moment in history than most people understand. It reflected a shift in collective human consciousness, no less. It also sent a wave of much needed confidence around the planet. What am I talking about? Let me explain . . .

Bush's premiership has been a disaster for the planet. His foreign and environmental policies have been bleak, leaving many people worried, frustrated and even scared. Even more worrying was watching America re-elect him. It was as if Americans - or at least a majority of them - couldn't see how stupid the man was. The planet's confidence in America dropped.

Another four years of stupidity ensued. The planet's problems mounted. Change became a yearn around the world. And what could signify change more than a black man's ascension to the most powerful position on Earth?!

Obama's election sent shock waves around the world, signifying the imminence of that much wanted change. People relaxed, their confidence in America restored. Americans had proved that they, too, wanted change, and that they could even see past the issue of race to effect its realisation.

Obama's election also allowed black people in America and around the world to vent their frustrations, gather inspiration, and see the world anew, as equals and not subordinates. For them in particular I was very happy.

This global sigh of relief at the prospect of imminent change, coupled with black people's realisation of more equality, marked the change in collective human consciousness that I mentioned. The world seemed a little different from that moment on.

Masterful, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  17. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Darn it now you're making me feel like I need to make a civilized post in this thread instead of something silly. :( I was totally going to ask Firegirl what John McCain smells like! :D

But OK seriously, I can list quite a few things. Now they may not all make sense to you because of your politics but these are why he's so great, in my opinion.

1) He's a liberal democrat. Therefore, ideologically, I agree with the majority of what he represents, plans, and stands for. I actually like that he's progressing into a centrist Democrat because now that we're in power, the LAST thing we need is for the far left to take over our party like the Republicans let the far right do.

2) He's obviously intelligent. His intelligence is THE #1 FACTOR for which I support him. I really don't get why anyone would at this time (or any time for that matter) want to elect someone who's not intellectually up to task. This past election, the American people paid attention. Now I'm not going to try to act as if I know the main reason everyone voted for Obama. I'm not a mind reader. But I do know that, for example in the case of Sarah Palin, the American people rejected the idea that it's a OK to vote for the guy/gal next door who's "just like you". Sure it's OK to feel like you have a President you could have a beer with but that needs to be an afterthought. What's more important is having a President who has the ability to truly analyze a situation, think carefully and methodically through it, and make a smart educated decision. The problem with leaders who's only calling card is that they are just like you is that they will try to make decisions based on what they think the American people would do in order to keep their popularity. Fact is.... the American people only have access to a fraction of the information the President has. You have to make decisions based on what's best for the country, not what will make you seem more like Joe six-pack.

George Bush, all animosity aside for what he's done, seems like a guy who'd easily be the life of a party! But his presidency is proof positive, at least to me, that a smart thoughtful President trumps having the guy next door in there running the country any day.

I see a lot of people who like to say he "makes a good speech" in a way that is obviously intended to belittle it and reduce him to being "just a good orator". But be honest with yourself. There's a reason he makes such a good speech. It's because he's smart! Trying to belittle that only makes you seem like the classic "stupid bully kid" on the playground who's jealous of all the smart kids. Seriously....

3) He's perceptive - Let's be clear... I don't judge intelligence based on book learning alone. Just watching him speak, with or without a teleprompter, you can tell his comments are always well thought out, and that he is extremely perceptive. Being perceptive to me is very important because, armed with the information you gain by sitting back and taking in an entire situation you make better decisions. We've watched emotional decision making take this country in the wrong direction for too many years.

DO NOT make the mistake of confusing someone making off the cuff emotional decisions with them being "Patriotic". Being patriotic is doing what's best for your country because you KNOW it's best for the country after carefully thinking it through. Not because it FEELS like it's best for the country. Get what I mean?

Being perceptive means you have the ability to look at the big picture. It gives you the added advantage of truly being able to read people. Very important when speaking to world leaders. Who would you rather have doing that part of the job? Someone who is truly reading people for weaknesses, figuring out how to defeat them, and making comments based on perception. Or someone up there just trying to prove how tough America is?

4) Confidence and steadiness. Nuff said.

I've got a LOT more but I'm probably boring people at this point. :D Most of it can be summed up in point #1 too because it deals with his policies.

What DON'T I agree with President Elect Barack Obama on? Gun control! As a person who began collecting guns a few years back now that I have the financial means I am increasingly FRUSTRATED by silly gun control laws. I believe that so long as you're not a convicted felon you should be able to own any and all types of small arms and as much as your home can contain! From the smallest hand gun up to a 50 cal machine gun. If you haven't given anyone any reason to fear you, you should be able to own what you want.

GeorgeB., Nov 8, 2008 IP
  18. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    He's a marketer. Period.

scubita, Nov 8, 2008 IP
  19. lumpia

lumpia Banned

Best Answers:
    Speeches don't save a country, financially and from terrorists.

He has been promoted and we just need to wait and see what he can do.

Black, white, Asian, hispanic - who cares as long as you can do the job right.

I guess black people are ecstatic because at least 1 made it in the white house instead of the big house.

It is to remain to be seen what he can do. I just hope he doesn't sacrifice national security that the Republican has to fix.
    jmho.

lumpia, Nov 8, 2008 IP
  20. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I just don't get it. Is this, or is it not, 2008?

northpointaiki, Nov 8, 2008 IP