1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A dumb question - link farms

Discussion in 'Google' started by mnemtsas, Jun 8, 2004.

Hi There,

I've been reading and trying to implement all this SEO stuff for around 4 weeks now and keep coming across something that I need explained to me.

Google penalises link farms.

What does this mean? To the link farm and the sites linked to from the link farm. And just what is a link farm? (I mean how deep do you plant a link and how often do you water it?).

Mark

mnemtsas, Jun 8, 2004 IP
    ginostylz likes this.
  2. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    A link farm is a system where all the members are linked to each other via a common set of link pages. The result is that all members have a links page with the other members' web addresses on them. Many of these link programs have several hundred or even thousands of members, so by joining you have almost instant access to hundreds of other web sites that point links to your site. This can lead to your site looking very "popular". However, Google can and will penalize or ban sites that participate in link farms.

dazzlindonna, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  3. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    if i. or you, have 4 sites and put "sponsered by ... LINK" at the footer of each page...
    will google kick me out ?

in other words how many sites is a "farm" ?

vagrant, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Donna,

I wonder if you could supply us with an address that is banned for participating?

schlottke, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  5. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, no I don't have any specific urls at my fingertips to supply you with that have been banned for participating. But even with my lousy memory, I can remember seeing quite a few over time. Just didn't save them anywhere. Vagrant, no sponsored links like you suggest wouldn't be the same thing, but I don't have an exact number to give you either.

dazzlindonna, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats fine- I was just wondering. Seems it would be sort of hard to manage something like that, but I may be wrong.

schlottke, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    It would have to be blatant link farming to be penalized by Google. I'm sure they get some sort of red flag if someone all of a sudden has a large number of links pointing to their site, then Google may have some form or investigating further. But, then again, we all can only really theorize on it, since no one knows for sure. :p .

I have seen quite a few people that use Link Manager (www.linkmanager.com) end up having pr0 link pages (I didn't bother to check their other pages). It's my opinion that they are being penalized by Google for having automated link exchange pages.

ViciousSummer, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  8. laiwa

laiwa Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its quite easy for Google to spot a link farm. Eaven if the sites dont get banned the links may be given very little credit because they are nearly all unthemed and the use the same keyword or phrase. After reading more about Google (and new SE technology) I understand that it isnt difficult for them with that knowledge and computing power they have to spot the unnatural stuff we (or someone) try to do to boost rankings.

laiwa, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  9. Voyager

Voyager Guest

Best Answers:
    I can't think of a specific example, but you might want to review the list at BlockedPR.

Voyager, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  10. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    OK I'm glad I asked, I didn't know what a link farm was after all. In my usual fashion I thought it was easy to be seen as a link farm, but it's quite a bit more complex than I was thinking.

I was thinking it was one of those many pr0 directory sites that just has pages and pages of links. Of course it could be if it's affiliated with some other similar site.

Am I correct?

Mark

mnemtsas, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  11. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    no one can every supply an address of blocked links farm, but everyone will tell you that you get kick out for it

the only linkfarm I have very heard of being penalized was linktoyou

and I farm links all day long .. just kiddding I build relevent themed resources

nice pic Vicious but I have to disagree wiht you at least in my experience I have used links manager on a couple sites, with no problems yet, and my linksmanger pages pass pr wonderfully

ferret77, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  12. WilliamC

WilliamC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone has a different opinion of what a link farm is. Ive prolly heard 50 different explanations.

I think the best one I have heard to date is this one:

If I make a page or site full of links it is good SEO, if my competitor does it, it is a linkfarm or spam.

The reason I say this is the best I have seen is due to the overwhelmingly increasing numbers of piss poor quality SEO's who feel reporting all competitors for every little thing is a valid SEO technique.

WilliamC, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  13. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    never use link farms otherwise u will be penaltilizes

letsjoy, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  14. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And yet another dead thread is revived...

Tyler Banfield, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  15. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Link farms are pages that publishing big amount of links : like 300-1000 links/page.
    Because the given PageRank is divided by the total number of out-going links on page... it won't help at al...

redhits, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  16. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your friends got a PR0 ?! But http://www.linksmanager.com/ it's a PR5... how came that !? :confused:

redhits, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  17. kaloss

kaloss Peon

Best Answers:
    but how to prevent such site to include link to your site if they decide about it

kaloss, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  18. tsc

tsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like he said...

:rolleyes:

tsc, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  19. .Essence.

.Essence. Peon

Best Answers:
    Why bring up a thread nearly 1 year and a half old :mad:

.Essence., Jan 6, 2008 IP