1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Portal script?

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by Old Welsh Guy, Mar 23, 2006.

Guys I need advice please :)

I am putting together a portal for my locality and want to know which script you recommend. here are the main prioroties

1. ease of use for the visitor (many are technophobes so it must be idiot proof)

2. SEO friendly don't matter as it is no consequence

3. MUSt have a forum integrated (like phpbb)

4. Must have a calendar facility for events etc.

5. Must have news , but this can be built into the forum.

6. Must have newsletter email facility
    7. must have a simple admin section, as my missus is going to be using it a bit.:)

I did look at phpnuke, but it looked like a crock of shit TBh, I hated the basic skin, and decided it was not for me within minutes of using it. Also it was running on phpbb2.015 which is well out of date. but if anyone can convince me otherwise I am all years.

So anyone got any ideas? and if you have, and chance of pointing me to a website running it ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 23, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    there are many portals about, phpnuke is crap from my experience with it

there are also Drupal, joomla, mambo, xoops & mk portal that deserve a mention

just-4-teens, Mar 23, 2006 IP
  3. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    Joomla is good, but its a little complicated since his wife would be using it as well. Anyways, its just a question of getting hang of it.

Look here, you might find something interesting.

SumitBahl, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  4. beeweb

beeweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I would make a go for Geeklog, it has all you need. Look at geeklog.net

beeweb, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd reccommend you take a look at some of the demos available at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ Some that are apparently good are Joomla/Mambo, Drupal PostNuke or maybe even a wiki would do you. Mediawiki for example.

exam, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I have looked at opensource cms, but I was hoping some people could have recommended a script from their own experience. :( Maybe I will go with one of the phpbb add ons then. I know phpbb so would have no probs rolling my sleeves up in it. Damn, I was hoping to have found something better. Will have to keep looking.

The MAIN requirement is that others can add to the site. It is a community site, so I would need to set privilidges to people.

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  7. Emilie

Emilie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I'd recommend Joomla, I personnaly using it, sometimes I also make some configurations to my clients.

At first use, you'll be confused by the Section, category etc...things....it's quite complicated & not so straight forward. After somewhile, you will find it's ok, quite stable !

Emilie, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  8. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    But will Joomla integrate with a forum? Forum integration is one of the main requirements.

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  9. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, there are Joomla modules to integrate the major forums- vBulletin, phpBB SMF etc.

exam, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  10. simsim

simsim Peon

Best Answers:
    OWG, have you looked at Subdreamer?

It has what you're looking for almost out of the box.

Edit: Just realized I bumped a 2 months old thread, sorry. :D

simsim, May 30, 2006 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    No probs at all. Thanks for the recommend. I did consider subdreamer,but got told that it has no support. Has this now changed?

Old Welsh Guy, May 31, 2006 IP
  12. kozuch82

kozuch82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Bitweaver (www.bitweaver.org) should fit all your needs. It has all modules shipped with it (e.g. forum, articles/news, blogs, even wiki!).

I landed at bitweaver's after having hassle to integrate forums etc. with Joomla, Drupal, XOOPS etc. Give Bitweaver a try!

kozuch82, May 31, 2006 IP
  13. simsim

simsim Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. I'm not a licensed user of Subdreamer so I don't know details about the support quality. However, I can see it has an online manual & a seemingly busy support forums.

May you try overloading them with e-mail inquries & forum's pre-sales questions to have an idea about their support commitment. :)

simsim, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  14. blue_angel

blue_angel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    blue_angel, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  15. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good question OWG... I am still searching for the perfect portal :) Thats after a year. I use an ASP based one mainly (soopportal) but that has many things I dont like about it... or more like frustrate me. However, I have spent 2 years supporting many clients who use it and have become very familier with the ins and outs and thats the main reason I use it most.

I still look for more though... I should create my own. Wish I knew how.

MatthewN, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  16. Technology

Technology Guest

Best Answers:
    Postnuke - In This You Will Find Everything Means Everything You Mentioned Above.

Technology, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  17. rockstar

rockstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Please have a look at Tinyportal. Support is outstanding.everyone is so willing to help. Hope you can use it. Only works with SMF forum but SMF is exellent imo.

home= http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php

forum http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?action=forum

rockstar, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  18. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommended Joomla!, version 1.0.9 which is released now, stable enough, all the function works well, cache has been fixed, it;s now working as it is, no more slow loading, also, categories has been integrated to only work as image folder as your choice, great for loading large content, what you need with it is allready there, forum integration, you can either use smf or phpbb, but i'd recommended smf since, some cases with joomla and phpbb doesnt really works, joomla.org itself using smf to integrate into their forum, about the user management, it's work solid with community builder, about the calendar, gigcalendar should do that for you, a large of option available, news and newsletter, there is a component or mods to do so, just take a look at their extension and you will find the suitable one. I tested with the new version, they have significant query reduce in mysql, thus reducing system load, about 20% like that, very good for high traffic site.

rewlie, Jun 6, 2006 IP
    Old Welsh Guy likes this.
  19. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for all your help in this matter. I have played with joomla, in the past. The new incarnation sounds great.

Old Welsh Guy, Jun 6, 2006 IP
    rewlie likes this.
  20. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    you'd better do it fast, I have some special project with php, only php, static html did not supported.

rewlie, Jun 6, 2006 IP