1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is rel='external nofollow'?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mistermix, Sep 5, 2006.

1. clearwriter

clearwriter Member

Best Answers:
    You are right. This reduces the spam.

clearwriter, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  2. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure it reduces spam all that much. A lot of blog spammers, like in Youtube for instance, couldn't give a toss what the search engines think of their links, they want the human users to follow them to their sites.

Astroman, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  3. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    If we didn't want G to go to a page couldn't we just link it with JS document.location.href or whatever it is (i've completley forgotten!) as apparantly G disregards JS?

wd_2k6, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That would also mean anyone without javascript, or with it disabled would be shut out.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  5. sapanbhatt

sapanbhatt Active Member

Best Answers:
    You mean if we can promoting our site to such nofollow blogs and websites so it would be counted as our link popularity but it won't help me increasing my Google Page Rank TM, right? this is what you want to explain?

But if you are right that I think its enough for us. I think we should more focus on increasing our link popularity rather to work for Google page Rank.

sapanbhatt, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  6. preeti1

preeti1 Peon

Best Answers:
    nofollow and external nofollow are same and googlebot don't follow the links marked as nofollow. so, instead of wasting your time submitting spam comments on blogs, contribute something useful and build a good reputation....:)

preeti1, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  7. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aside from being a ludicorous thread bump, your information is also untrue regarding the no follow attribute.

Astroman, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  8. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Where do you get that information?

I'd go by Google on rel="nofollow", myself.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  9. arieltn

arieltn Peon

Best Answers:
    external nofollow likes nofollow

arieltn, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  10. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thread dead.:eek:

SCLocal, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  11. bava_seo

bava_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    rel=external nofollow"

external says - link is external (outboundlink)
    nofollow says - follow the link but dont give any weightage to pass page rank

bava_seo, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously your level of understanding is less than perfect. Let me quote from Google, its ownself:
    gary

kk5st, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  13. ubernova

ubernova Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, i always wondered what the difference was between the two tags, i still use "nofollow" as its a little more uniform with search engine bots.

ubernova, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  14. sudeep13582

sudeep13582 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think only nofollow tag could be used instead of external nofollow.. but why using that particular "external nofollow" .. i think it has some other meanings :confused::confused:

sudeep13582, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  15. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Attributes may have multiple values as a space separated list. The values are not co-dependent.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  16. hardeep

hardeep Peon

Best Answers:
    So it means google not follow these type of links but this kind of links show in webmasters external link to your site option.

hardeep, Oct 22, 2009 IP
  17. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The search bots do not pay any attention to "external". Only "nofollow" has any meaning to them. The "external" value is there for local javascript or css purposes. For example, a site author may want to have css use a special background image on links that go off site, or he may use it as a hook to attach an event handler to the anchor.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  18. xumbrella

xumbrella Peon

Best Answers:
    this sucks as it seems that so many people are using nofollow links now. this is making it much harder to get good back links. does anyone have any good strategies that they are willing to share (aside from web directories and article sites)?

xumbrella, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  19. verdecove

verdecove Member

Best Answers:
    You are right about that...it does suck! I'm getting also tired of commenting on blogs, and my comments are always post related and not spammy, where the link gets removed after certain time. What concerns the nofollow tag so I do not waste so much time commenting on those blogs anymore. I think it is very unfair and disgraceful to serious blog commentators who do take their time to read the blog post and leave a meaningful, note MEANINGFUL, comment on the post. My guess the blog owners don't need the traffic anymore or just don't care as much anymore if people comment on their posts or not. So yes, it definately does suck and it makes it harder with every single day to build some relevant backlinks if you don't have the money to buy links from authority sites.
    Just another nice way from Google to say "I actually don't care about the normal website dude. I love the big bucks paying ones much better".
    Just my 2cents to this already a little bit older but still very actual thread.
    Tip: Keep looking for blogs with keywordluv or commentluv plugin. Those blogs are dofollow and even allow your main keywords added to your name.
    e.g. my name @ my keywords

Now dear blog owners and blog admins...what do you have to say about this subject and why do use nofollow tags? Let's bring this thread up a bit again since it's obviously anyway a never ending story!

verdecove, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  20. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't own a blog, but to hell with people who only post (whether it's meaningful or not) for their own gain. The POINT of having OPEN COMMENTS on any article is to hear what people think of the article! There is NO OTHER REASON for it.

Not rubbing each others' backs.

Not giving and taking.

Not spreading the linkjuice of love...

The POINT of POSTING a COMMENT on a BLOG is to SPREAD your THOUGHTS.

Frankly, if the only reason someone posted on some blog of mine (if I had one) was for link juice, I'd rather they didn't post at all, no matter how many good points they brought up, because I know, deep in my heart, that they are NOT trying to contribute to the conversation. They're trying to earn goddamn money off me. Fuckem.

I can't count anymore the number of article sites I used to read who ended up removing the commenting system entirely because of people spamming so goddamn much.
    456bereastreet.com was 100% more awesome when the web community could discuss and tear apart the articles in the comments. I learned more from comments than from the articles themselves... and he removed the commenting system because the spam was so bad.

The only way to fight spammers is to remove all ways of earning money off other people.

Believe it or not, there IS such a thing as people providing blogs and articles to spread their ideas and knowledge, not to get a fuckin paycheck. For those blogs who do only exist to earn money: I won't visit you. Die. Go away and quit polluting my web.

BTW this thread should have died three years ago. Remember, to kill a zombie, you need to do a head shot.

Stomme poes, Feb 12, 2010 IP