1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

copywriting course recommendations

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by CherieB, Nov 3, 2008.

I am very interested in taking a copywriting course online. Has anyone else done so and can anyone give me some recommendations? Thank you!!

CherieB, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  2. Nicholas Yong

Nicholas Yong Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Cherie,

BEFORE spending money on a course online - if you haven't read these books (or borrowed them from a library) then may I suggest:

Words That Sell - Richard Bayan
    How To Start Your Own Copywriting Business - Steve Slaunwhite
    Influence: Dr Robert Cialdini
    The Power of Emotional Appeal - Roy Garn
    The Closers (sales) - Ben Gay III

These books should be keep you busy. OF course there's MANY MANY more books, however these will get you thinking about copy.

To Your Success

Nicholas Yong, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  3. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, Cherie. Nicholas is right. Better yet, invest in these books, since they will surely serve you well throughout the course of your career.

May I also add these two popular books:

The Copywriter's Handbook - Robert W. Bly - it contains invaluable information about copywriting which is why I think it should be called, 'The Copywriter's Bible.' ;)
    Guerilla Marketing - Jay Conrad Levinson - can help you with marketing concepts which come in handy when learning how to write for the market.

Plus books by Seth Godin - simply put, his ideas are brilliant. :)

Hope that helps. :)

- Cedric

cd928, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  4. aiden11

aiden11 Peon

Best Answers:
    i would be interested on this course too

aiden11, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  5. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't taken the course, but Chris Bibey (DP KeywordsandCopy) offers a freelance writing course. I don't know how much of it is specific to copywriting or if he'd be willing to give you a course in copywriting. You can learn more about the course and read some testimonials at www.chrisblogging.com. There's some contact information so you can email him directly and ask about copywriting-specific training.

latoya, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  6. WebBrutus

WebBrutus Peon

Best Answers:
    If you've got a blog or are a part of a blog network you could earn a decent amount of money by writing blogs and recommendations for your "clients".

WebBrutus, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  7. Mohamed_Mnafeg

Mohamed_Mnafeg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi CherieB

there are 2 guy alive in this planet, you can learn from them the real copywriting
    the first is John Carlton and the second is frank kern just google them and you will see

thanks
    Mohamed Mnafeg

Mohamed_Mnafeg, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  8. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for mentioning my course, latoya. If interested, as you mentioned, I can be reached via my blog.

KeywordsandCopy, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  9. QualityContentCreation

QualityContentCreation Peon

Best Answers:
    I may look into some of those books - I'd always be happy to expand my knowledge and skill. (The wider my range of talents, the more clients I'll be able to take on confidently)

QualityContentCreation, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  10. michaelgrisso

michaelgrisso Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Listen, I would take the online courses as opposed to reading books. Don't get me wrong, everyone's recommendations are probably great, but on a working standpoint it's easier to learn with a schedule. Having classes and breaking down the information will allow most people to retain the information a lot better.

If you get a book, then obviously you have to be organized enough to read some, then reflect, some more, then reflect and not overload yourself with information. Just take a few hours and research the net. There are plenty of reputable companies out there. There is one in Connecticut I can't remember the name off hand, but it's like a top 5 online copywriting course setup. I'll see if I can find the name.

michaelgrisso, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  11. nickxifaras

nickxifaras Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not too sure about copywriting courses online, but I can definitely recommend some books that should be part of your library.

1. Breathrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz (great book)

2.Tested Advertising methods by John Caples (one of the granddaddy's of copy)

3.The Elements of Style by Strunk & White

4. Triggers by Joe Sugarman.

There are hundreds of others, but these will give a very solid foundation.

Hope this helps.

Nick Xifaras
    Copywriter

nickxifaras, Dec 13, 2008 IP