1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you copying me or am I copying you, whoes really copywritting?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by karnetics, Nov 3, 2008.

Thats right I said it. Who is copying who? Just today, I have read 10 articles about web traffic and all of the share the same repetitive information.

Create a niche, join and affiliate network, post to blog, submit to search engines and blah blah blah. Who is copying who, it seems everyone is copying each other.

That is the problem with the internet, the regulation is not there, so if you put something on the internet, most likely it is going to be copied. So what do you think? Should I be mad at the guy who copied me or is it time to start sueing people?

karnetics, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  2. Scar

Scar Peon

Best Answers:
    Suing people for stealing your content would cost astronomically more than you would ever possibly recover. It's just the nature of the internet right now. Use it to your advantage.

Scar, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  3. Eric Engel

Eric Engel Peon

Best Answers:
    haha...it's time to come up with some new material is what it's time for.

I hate to be the one to say this, but I've been spouting this off the past couple of weeks because it's really gotten out of hand.

Let's start with the fact that a few good marketers gave solid plans for making money.

A lot of newbs invested in those plans...and a lot of them made money. But eventually, you always end up creating your own product and trying to sell it. And in marketing, that USUALLY means telling people how you 'generated wealth'.

But see, those guys were all just following what the originators had told them. And not only is the information a bit stale (obsolete), it's also not fully understood. So the guys on the second level, are now going to tell everyone on the third level how to make money.

And finally, you get down to 6 levels, none of original information is really in tact, and even if it was, a lot of it is old news that doesn't do anything for anyone anymore.

But all these reports are floating around for free, or they're being sold for $7...when they originally came from $500 material.

But the biggest thing that bugs me about it all, is that half the people writing them don't even know what they mean any more.

For example, "NICHE"

Does anyone have any idea what a niche is in marketing?

I put the question up at another forum, and a lot of 'experienced' individuals gave some way off-base answers.

Yeah...people are copying. But people don't even know what they're copying anymore.

The best bet is to get material from the real gurus and use it to develop your own system. But take the time to learn real copywriting and marketing techniques before you bother to write about it.

Eric Engel, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    Jenna Appleseed and dzi like this.
  4. Scar

Scar Peon

Best Answers:
    the "real gurus" aren't teaching anybody. they're just making money.

Scar, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  5. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When it comes to Internet content writing, copy right is an overrated technicality. The web is by definition a free-flowing liquid mass of information, and those articles articles you speak about nothing but drops of water. Why should you worry so much about someone stealing your glass of water, when you're a (potentially massive) fountain?

In other words, people may easily copy your articles, but they will hardly ever succeed in copying your ability to consistently pour out top-quality writing. Consider this.

Smitten, Nov 4, 2008 IP
    Jenna Appleseed likes this.
  6. dzi

dzi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Plus, content thieves might get penalized by search engines according to who had the content first... right?

dzi, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  7. karnetics

karnetics Peon

Best Answers:
    So smitten, are you say, the content you post is fair game for others?

karnetics, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  8. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    what about if your content steal just watching you and waiting for you to publish your content and within the next minute he copy paste it. bots takes at least 1 day to crawl, in this case who wins??

In situation google have come up with the statement that " there isnt such penalty for duplicate content, only those sites which are using theme will be ranked lower, thats it.

The fact is "situation is just got out of the reach"

Oranges, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  9. Steven Zero

Steven Zero Peon

Best Answers:
    The site with the higher Page Rank is deemed the original author.

Steven Zero, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  10. Valerie08

Valerie08 Peon

Best Answers:
    ^What if the site with higher PR stole your content? it will be unfair if he's deemed the original author, right?

Valerie08, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  11. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I meant to say that technicalities aside, they can't steal what's really valuable: your ability to produce fresh, engaging content.

You should pity content thieves, rather than despise them.

Smitten, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  12. nasph

nasph Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think many people are guilty of this to be honest and some of the top rated and PR sites.

If you wanted to get down to the bare facts probably everyone is guilty of copying/plagiarism of some sort - if you mention something in say a blog post that you read, but couldn't remember where it was, technically, you couldn't use it because it wasn't your own idea or though - crazy but 100% true.

People will always copy from other people, because its speed and I reckon google knows this - it's just hard to handle.

nasph, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  13. Eric Engel

Eric Engel Peon

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily. Information cannot be copyrighted. Nor can ideas (except for pattens).

Eric Engel, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  14. outspan

outspan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google reportedly keeps track of the publication dates of the various copies of the same content and displays the first (chronologically) first (in the search results), so you needn't worry about that.

outspan, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  15. michaelgrisso

michaelgrisso Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:

That's interesting because I always thought if you invented something, got a patent and it was yours you could copyright the material. I've read fine print in places that actually say you cannot, so obviously you're making me second guess.

Can you explain why?

michaelgrisso, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  16. Eric Engel

Eric Engel Peon

Best Answers:
    Patents, trademarks, and copyrights are three different horses.

Patents protect people who design something functional, or a process used to accomplish something.

Trademarks protect people's or companies' business identities.

Copyrights protect intellectual property like song or written compositions.

But there's no way to protect just an idea itself. If it were, the 'idea' of a car couldn't have gone very far because only one person would have been allowed to continue working on it.

Information is something that might seem like a gray area. I mean, if I use a survey to collect statistics, and I publish that survey, the information isn't something that just anyone could know, right? But since the information itself can't be copyrighted, what I do is copyright the arrangement and/or compilation of the information.

Of course, this is just how I understand it...I'm not a lawyer or anything.

Eric Engel, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  17. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Repetitive info doesn't always indicate copying. Sometimes, that's all there is to say.
    Moreover not everyone reads or even knows of every site. So some repetition [Not copying] is Ok.

lightless, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  18. maniacjudge

maniacjudge Banned

Best Answers:
    People why are you trying to re-invent the wheel?

The same thing is out there because it is what works...

maniacjudge, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  19. karnetics

karnetics Peon

Best Answers:
    So if you put an article on the net and you are trying to direct traffic back to your niche or site. And another person copies your article and direct traffic to their niche or website, would you be upset once you find out they took money out of your pockets because they copied your information? How do you protect yourself?

karnetics, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  20. Slincon

Slincon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what bothers me is that competitors in one of my niches, is the outright plagarism and you can't really do anything about it.

Basically I write up small descriptions for a few products, about 1-2 sentences. And my competitors come to my site and just flat out copy and paste it on their own sites. Google doesn't even penalize them because it has some leniency towards similar content (although it shows me 1st for the full descriptions for most). Honestly my competitors are more successful then I am (at least I think they are) , you would think they could afford to hire a copywriter or do it themselves.

Slincon, Nov 7, 2008 IP