1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The "Superbowl" Update

Discussion in 'Google' started by schlottke, Feb 6, 2005.

1. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Somebody has to lose ground during an update, I'm afraid. And this time, you seem to be one of the ones who have lost a bit of ground.

As far as different rankings on different datacentres is concerned, it's quite normal during an update. The changes slowly propgate through all datacentres and you should see your new rankings on all datacentres in a day or so.

I was expecting a PR update now, as the last big jumps in SERPs for my work sites were recorded during mid-Aug and mid-Nov. So, this hasn't really come as a surprise to me. If you're hoping that these changes would revert, don't ..... 'cos I don't think that will happen (but that's my own opinion)

As far as the update is concerned, it is quite possible that they have tweaked the algo slightly. MSN's results are largely based on keyword density, title tags (mainly content) and Google's results have been largely based on IBLs and PR. I think that they might have tweaked the algo to find the correct balance between both approaches.

dfsweb, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    See, that's what I don't get. Almost all of the kw's I was ranked for, ranked because of the page's content, not because of IBL's. There were only five or ten kw's I was trying to get ranked by IBL's. Everything else has been because of on page content. So if the algo has changed, it means I need to go back to the drawing board and see what the new sites coming up have that I don't. From what I've seen, and I know I'm kinda biased on this one, it does not seem the serps are any more relevant than they were and in some cases, less relevant. (I know I know, this is everyones sob story)

mopacfan, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  3. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    When I said that the algo has possibly been changed, I was just speculating based on everyone else's reactions. As far as I am concerned, I don't think anything has changed (not for my sites, at least). They were all in the top 40 (ranking from #3 to #40, mostly in the top 10) and since the last update I got quite a few more "relevant" links from quite a few PR4 and even PR5 pages. My previous visible PR was PR4 and so, I was expecting the PR and rankings to go up sometime this week in any case. And, they did. The're all in the top 3 now. So, as far as I am concerned, this update's pretty normal for my sites.

But, since most of the others here are complaining about the update, and some of them have PR5 and PR6 sites .... I thought that maybe the algo's been tweaked and isn't considering PR to be as important as it did. But then, maybe it hasn't. Who knows.

dfsweb, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    The main keyword phrase I have been tracking is 'web hosting paypal'. I have not ranked for it in over a year, and am convinced it was due to the bug in google's algo (mentioned in an earlier post) where the ranking is attributed to the wrong site due to redirect methods. The site at fault still ranks well, although in recent weeks it was not in the position I expected if it was getting my ranking - in the top 10. (it is in the 60's now) One good indicator that you have are having that problem was to look up the phrase as allinanchor:, allintitle:, and allintext:. Allinurl: seemed to have some basis as well, and I changed the names of some files, but google is only picking up on them this morning. Good rankings for the first 3 at least should have shown good rankings for the search term. Before, not so for me. Now, it is.

Perhaps fixing the redirect bug caused this big of a change? There are sites out there utilizing the entire DMOZ for such a scheme... see http://techdog.com/

Could being linked to by multiple sites buried by such a scheme account for the upward trend?

Does this help anybody? I do hate to see sites go downward, but I was having serious ranking problems for anything with the word 'web' in it. 'hosting paypal' would show, but way lower than expected. It seemed filtered, but I could not find proof of it, and google was telling me 'no penalty'.

This update is great for me. I am where I should be, back where I was over a year ago. But someone had to go down for me to get back there.

Lawrence
    NetMidWest
    http://www.netmidwest.com/

NetMidWest, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  5. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Peon

Best Answers:
    mopacfan, did you put that list together yourself or is the list automatically generated with one of the tools? If so, care to share which tool is it?

So is it possible to switch datacenter with the google frontend? :p

pinkpanther, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  6. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try this!
    Go to www.google.co.nz, then www.google.co.uk and so on. All countries' versions will connect to a different datacentre. To see which datacentre is being connected to, you can ping the site. I think this should work.

But, why would you wanna do it?? When you can use McDar's tool or something similar to check a few datacentres in one go.

dfsweb, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  7. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Just found this post...
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=9222
    Does it support my theory any?

I also beleive this is why backlinks have not shown well over some time...
    My DMOZ link has never shown, nor has the google directory.

Lawrence
    NetMidWest
    http://www.netmidwest.com/

NetMidWest, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  8. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Peon

Best Answers:
    hey dfsweb, i am glad you asked. I want to know if its possible to switch dc in the frontend because i can then show my clients, their site is listed, if not here, then try this other dc. You dont want to give them the link to mcdar's site, just because they will be confused what they are looking at. Also they wont care what shows at mcdar, all they care is what shows in google.

So from your answer, I guess there is no easy way to switch, I will just have to find the ips and do searching in each of them. :(

9. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    The IPs are all in McDar's tool, so you can pull them from there.

schlottke, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  10. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, was just trying to look for easier ways..... oh and ...mahalo :)

11. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    i just reset the default in the google toolbar to a different country under options, but maybe i am doing it wrong :confused: but it lets me see where i rank in au, uk and ca etc.

vagrant, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  12. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I've had a ton of sites come out of the sandbox so I'm quite happy (knocking on wood), the down side is I had one site completely disappear even though we're kicking butt in Yahoo and MSN.

The difference?

Don't know if this is true for others, but the one site that dropped is the one I did heavy link building on. The others actually had very little backlink development (maybe 50 to 100 links over six months at most)...but what recip exchanges I did for them were VERY on topic with quality sites.

Theorize from that what you will...

Dreamshop, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  13. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamshop,
    Are you saying that the site that disappeared had more spammy/irrelevant links pointing to it and that you had heavier link building efforts on that site?

randfish, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  14. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Peon

Best Answers:
    This is driving me crazyyyyyy...

Yesterday morning doing a site command in google returns just the url to my site, no title or description.

Last nite doing a site command gets me my site with the proper description and title.

This morning doing the same got me nothing, not even the url. But when I checked the site in mcdar, all dc were showing the proper desc and titles. So I thought, okay, maybe url only just at the dc I was using.

Just now I checked again at mcdar, at all dc, my description and title is gone. Just the URL...

Also another site was showing a year old cache for the longest time, last nite and this morning was showing a new cache as of 2/5/2005 and now everything is reverted back to the year old cache.

Why... why ... why...(pulling my hair)... Is google penalizing me for something I did, maybe using the site and cache command too much??

15. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have always felt that searching through the toolbar was detrimental. Not sure why, I have just always felt like I should use my API or else the homepage.

NewComputer, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  16. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not using the toolbar, i use the google website. so is it true? That I shouldnt use the google site to do those commands?

homepage? which homepage are you referring to?

17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone mentioned in this thread (sorry forgot who!) that most of their pages have ranked well because of on-page optimisation. My site was the same prior to the big bang on the 17 December.

The majority of my pages were ranking well because of onpage factors, and had very backlinks to them. Then all of a sudden BOOM! Now ranking pages in the 100's, has Google therefore taken away some of the weight for on-page optimisation, and more weight to links (not reciprocal) to the domain?

Who knows :)

DarrenC, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  18. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I used mcdar's tools and just did a bunch of copying and pasting to get the results as you saw :(

mopacfan, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  19. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is my opinion that it is dangerous to use the toolbar for SEO work. I either use the homepage or my API (like with Shawn's Tools). Using the homepage should not have consequences, and neither may the toolbar, I just don't trust the toolbar for SEO work. It seems like to easy a way for them to track what you trying so hard to optimize for... just my 2 cents.

NewComputer, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  20. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You sound a tad parinoid :)

Infiniterb, Feb 8, 2005 IP