1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How would America break-

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by awcguy, Oct 31, 2008.

How would America break from the 2 party system that is ... In my opinion holding down other parties in participating in the elections?

awcguy, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  2. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, a good question that I have been pondering myself lately. Obviously with only 2 parties we are not really completely representing all Americans' beliefs or principals. But, at the same time, we can't have 5,000 parties trying to represent every idea there is out there.

I personally would like to see Libertarians recognized as another official party, but how we decide how or who to make up another group, I need to give that more thought.....

Firegirl, Oct 31, 2008 IP
    Mia likes this.
  3. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not up to the government it's up to the people.

There is a Libertarian nominee on the ticket every year. This year it's Bob Barr. All the American public has to do is vote for him.

But they don't because the already established parties have too many people under each of their respective umbrellas. So it is of course mathematically impossible for him to get a majority vote.

So yeah other parties are there. No one is stopping you from voting for them. People just don't.

GeorgeB., Oct 31, 2008 IP
  4. smatts9

smatts9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well it is hard as hell to get on ballots for a third party candidate. The system is against any third party, with weird laws and such and they never get any chance to participate in debates.

It is a joke to call this a two-party system. Besides the two different names the two candidates are essentially the same turd.

smatts9, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  5. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to think of politics in a liberal to conservative continuum. With that limited perspective I vote to pull things to the right. If there is a proliferation of second tier parties things could get crazy if some parties are very similar. If there were dozens of parties with slight differences close to the reps and dems the vote could be watered down and The Dope Smokers Party could win. In theory...

One problem with this thinking is the 2 parties can vary in another plane. I'm thinking of the results page of the worlds smallest political quiz. Yes I know it is Libertarian propaganda, but it's a useful look at the political plane of ideas.

[​IMG]

Since Left and Right want government control in areas other than just economics, a second axis is needed to show Statist and Libertarian.

My Gut Feeling is that A Libertarian candidate in debates and on the ballot, would water down the conservative vote and a Statist Candidate would water down the liberal vote.

Not sure where I'm going with this... Maybe someone can organize my thoughts for me! :) Back to work.

jazzylee77, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  6. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is? This is the ballot in my county.

It has the Libertarian, Green, and Independent party right there on the ballot. I imagine it's on the ballot in yours too.....

All you have to do is vote for them.

Having said that, the Democratic party and the Republican party have the HUGE advantage of national and local news coverage. They don't even try to cover other parties.

GeorgeB., Oct 31, 2008 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Probably be getting someone in place that supports the ideals of the traditional conservative values with a Social Liberal's mentality.

They would of course need to hail from a new party, not Green, Independent or Moonbat.

Something intelligent and believable. No one takes these other 3rd party candidates seriously because they come out in favor of a mix of liberal and conservative values and then start brining up the grassy knoll and space aliens.

You cannot take someone seriously that does not speak in absolutes.

Mia, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  8. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, which is why Barack will be the next president. Tell people what they want to hear and you have their vote - tell people the truth and your own party hates you.

ncz_nate, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  9. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm biased, because this would be a perfect fit for me, but I think the electorate is ripe for a party like this. I like fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility, etc, and a respect for personal liberty. Libertarians are touching on it a bit, but they tend to be too extreme for me.

LogicFlux, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  10. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Touching on it a bit?! You meant to say that was the platform of the Libertarian Party right? You'll come around, light years ahead of the rest of P&R.

ncz_nate, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  11. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest most of what I know about libertarianism I've learned from reading and listening to Ron Paul. I could never vote for him. I believe in more government than Ron Paul does. And I don't believe that we can just pretend like things that happen around the world don't effect us, and that if we just mind our own business everything will be rosy. But I do like the part about government not curtailing the freedoms of its citizens.

LogicFlux, Nov 1, 2008 IP