1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photographers I Need Some Help In Chosing My First ''Real'' Camera...Please!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by darran3600, Oct 27, 2008.

Hey Guys,

Right first a little background, i went to Thailand in June and loved it!

Whilst i was out there i really enjoyed taking pictures of the wonderful scenery.

When i got back to the UK and checked out my pic's in more detail i thought they were very good (not blowing me own trumpet lol) so i showed them to a few friends and family to see what they thought and they said (no lie)''you have got a good eye for those great shots'',

And they also said that i should get myself and good camera and see what i can do and i thought to myself that yer that aint a bad idea as i found that i did really enjoy taking photos.

So i want some help in choosing the right camera for a beginner to use as i want to start the research now ready for the xmas/new year sales!!!

I was looking at the Digital SLR's and have heard that some of the models out there haven't changed the size/thread of there lenses so you can u the older lens on a new cam which is good as i would be able to keep this for a while and just upgrade the lens if needed.....if that's the right thing to do?

My budget is about £500 but could got higher if it was the difference between a Ford and a Aston Martin LOL and i will also say that i love my gadgets and electronics so things like that wont bother me in the slightest.

I'm a total beginner guys so any info that you give me i will be so grateful for....I'm in your hands!!

Thanks

Peace Out

darran3600, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  2. NathanCH

NathanCH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, you can't go wrong in entry level DSLRs. Both Canon and Nikon provide excellent models. It really comes down to which lenses you like more.

NathanCH, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  3. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    You should look at a Nikon d40 or D60 as a good DSLR starter camera. I purchased a package from ace cameras in NEW YORK and it included 2 lenses, 2 batteries, monopod, tripod and many other items. If you buy a package you will get more bang for your buck.

homebizseo, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  4. darran3600

darran3600 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the reply, I have just been reading a top 5 DSLR's thing and i saw and like the sound of the Canon EOS 400D,

I no i need to go an have a feel of it and see if i like the design but what are your views on this camera?

5. darran3600

darran3600 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks homebizseo,

I will have a look for some more info on them suggested DSLR's now, I was reading the same thing you just said about buying a package just 5mins ago on another site lol.

Am i to assume that you own a Nikon d40 or D60 and if so do you get on fine with it, any probs or regrets at all?

Cheers guys for helping me out of this one.

6. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/review-product-information.asp?id=964727497

This is the package I purchased and I added some filters to protect the lens and a fish-eye adapter. The d40 is 6 megapixel and I debated about getting the D-60 which is 10 megapixel. I am in an advanced digital photography class and my prints look just as good as the 10 megapixel cameras.

homebizseo, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  7. chickmagnetstuff

chickmagnetstuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say you buy canon 350d since your still in the experiment stage but there's the canon 450D so I think that's the best for you.

chickmagnetstuff, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  8. bangas

bangas Guest

Best Answers:
    Take the best Canon 5D II

bangas, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  9. flippers.be

flippers.be Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick answer: there are no real bad dslr entry cameras anymore. Canon, Sony, Pentax, Nikon all make good, similar products for similar prices. Pick any that fits your budget and feels good in your hand.
    So don't be afraid that for $50 more you could have and Aston Martin instead of a Ford.. you can't :(

If you're new and don't have anything of lenses yet, you can chose whatever brand you want.
    If a local shop gives good advice and help it can be interesting to buy their preferred brand.
    If friends have a certain brand and want to lend lenses, it can be interesting to buy the same brand.

Nikon hasn't changed it's thread so you can use old lenses too. But the D40/60 don't have a built in motor so you can't have autofocus with these old lenses ! If you want to use autofocus with older lenses then you need a Nikon D70 or higher.

Problem is that because of this, most old lenses still cost a lot. Why take the risk of buying a 15 year old lens (whilst not knowing enough about cameras to test if it's very well) when you can pay £100 more and buy a brand new one with warranty ?
    Unless you already now have a very cheap source of old Nikon lenses (local store, friends, ..), this shouldn't influence your decision.

First you have to consider what your budget is (well you've done that) and what type of photography you want to do. Landscapes, closeup, portrait, cities, .. as this influences the types of lens you need.

Don't just compare prices and features on the internet, go to a large shop where you can actually hold and test different cameras. They all feel different, someone with small hands will like one model/brand better than someone with large hands.. differences like this you don't know when only comparing online.

As long as your budget is around £500 I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading in the future.. because unfortunately you probably won't be able to keep a lot when you want to buy more serious stuff :-(

If you'd say you have a budget of £1000 or £1500 then things would be completely different and you could buy things now that you're going to keep even if you become a pro in the future and upgrade to £2000 camera body's. But for £500 you get the basic entry dslr's that are similar.

Don't only check the latest cameras (ie Nikon D90 and Canon 50D).. the D80 now sells at a good price (and is a good camera), same for the 40D.
    But if you can afford it, a D90 is extremely good value (as it has the same sensor as the much more expensive D300 which is immensely popular with serious amateurs because it's that good).

flippers.be, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  10. darran3600

darran3600 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your posts

bangas & I Sell Vccs , i checked out that Canon 5D II.....what a beautiful camera lol I'm afraid its a little out my price range thou, i can only dream and hope thou cant I lol.

You two seem to both like Canon so id like to ask you your thoughts and views on the Canon EOS 450D, good, bad, don't know lol anything at all as i was looking at that online and had a brief look in Comet, nothing major, I plan on going to a proper shop at the weekend to have a through look at them all.

flippers.be, Top information and thanks for taking the time out of your day to write that, i understand what you are saying about the old lenses and now see that i shouldn't make my choice on this point alone or even at all.
    I took a look at the Nikon D90 like you said and looks like a nice bit of kit, i have also been looking at the Canon 450D...what are your views on this camera?

Another thing, do I need to consider accessories in my choice of camera.....I assume I would but again i'm open to views on this question.

One more thing, the photos I want to take/what I'm using the camera for will be,
    -Landscapes/Nature
    -Wildlife/Nature
    -Travel (I'm planning on going around the Asian countries for a bit within the next year and will take it with me everywhere)

Thanks Again Guys I really do appreciate all your help.

darran3600, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  11. tiger325

tiger325 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just bought a canon camera myself recently and I love it.. it takes great pics

tiger325, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  12. darran3600

darran3600 Banned

Best Answers:
    tiger325, which Canon which model did you buy? and have u had any problems at all or any regrets in anything?

13. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    I use a Sony DSLR @14.2 mega pixels I think the camera with 2 lenses, a bag, 2 batteries, 2 memory cards and a tripod came out to around $1200. The pictures on my ecotours blog were done with the camera.

FHI, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  14. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    FHI, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  15. Falling Down

Falling Down Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't have a Digital SLR, but have used them (then again, I've used a paint can as a camera and got some amazing shots ith that). I'd say a Nikon or Canon would be great. Don't worry about getting the lenses brand new. To be fair, it all comes down to if you know how to set your camera properly for different things. I have a 35mm SLR and a Canon Powershot, and I can't really tell the difference between the two when I shoot with them.

Falling Down, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  16. Phoenix Arizona

Phoenix Arizona Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought my Canon 10D when they first came out (read pricey). But, now you can get the body cheap and of course all the Canon lens' you buy for it work on the higher end models if you decide to really blow some cash later.

BTW, I still use my 10D all the time, love it, and it has never let me down.

Phoenix Arizona, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  17. darran3600

darran3600 Banned

Best Answers:
    FHI's, Phoenix Arizona & Falling Down, thanks for your info, and i never thought of getting a slightly older cam with older lenses,

Thanks Guys, Keep them coming

18. wozzym

wozzym Guest

Best Answers:
    canon rebel. its a good starter camera, and get a zoom lense for it too :)

wozzym, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  19. darran3600

darran3600 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks wozzym it looks like Canon maybe the way to go with all the thoughts and views.

20. flippers.be

flippers.be Peon

Best Answers:
    The Canon 450 is a good camera.

The difference between entry cameras (Canon 1000D/450D, Nikon Dx0 series) and more pro models (Canon 50D, 5D, Nikon D300/D700/D3) is not as much the image quality (it will be better but not 10 times better) but is more in terms of features and robustness/weatherproofing.

An entry camera may break if you drop it, go bad if it's moist/raining.. while the pro models can handle rough environments better.

Accessories are important - if you're going to travel you need enough memory cards (or take a laptop with you so you can copy the pictures over).
    You certainly need a decent camera bag. A polarizing filter may also help (reduces reflections, makes skies more blue, ..). Maybe a small tripod too ? It all depends on how serious you want to get..

Be prepared to learn how to use your camera. You can't just buy an expensive dslr and think you'll immediately take great pictures with it.
    There's a learning curve, be prepared to read books, websites, .. to learn the basics about photography.

The quality of the camera body is only half (or less) of your choice. The lenses are more important !

As you will travel a lot, you probably want to keep it light and compact.
    For landscapes you want a wide-angle lens (small number of mm).

Nikon now has a new 18-200VR lens which is great. It's sharp, and has a wide range. With only this lens you can take wideangle pictures of landscapes (18mm) and zoom in very well on specific details (200mm) and get everything in between.
    The VR means it's stabilised, so when it's getting dark you don't immediately need a tripod and can still take sharp pictures.
    There's also an 18-100mm which is also interesting. Less zoom so less useful out in open nature, but inside a city it should be enough.

Canon has similar lenses. But I'm not sure if you can buy them in a kit together with the body. Usually you have to buy the body and lens separate.

So also look what lenses are available and what you think you'll need.
    For landscapes and cities you certainly need something like a 24-55 range.
    If you want to zoom in a lot (your wildlife/nature part - like birds in the distance) you need something with 200 or 300mm.. so that can be another zoom lens of say 55-200mm.

Problem is that you'll have to carry 2 (or more) lenses whilst travelling, come in situations where you have to change lenses on the spot, .. which is not always practical. (if you change a lens dust can come into the camera ! you'll see it on the pictures until you get the camera cleaned)

I suggest you look around on Flickr and search some pictures in cities, landscapes, .. everything you like and what looks like the kind of picture you think you will take a lot.. look at the properties of these pictures to see at how many mm they are taken. Then you know more about what lenses you're going need.
    Then see what's available, and what is best. Camera body and buy 1 or 2 lenses separate. Or buy camera+lens as one package.

Ie a 400-500mm lens is very expensive and really only needed when you want to photograph birds that are far away.. you'll also need a very good tripod then.
    A lens around 50-80mm is used a lot for portraits.
    Wideangle (18-35mm) is also useful inside houses.

flippers.be, Oct 29, 2008 IP