1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can't transfer domain for 60 days?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Blitz, Jun 2, 2006.

Ok, I'm a little confused.
    Up until now I've been using a hosting account where I purchase the domain on the account and use it. Simple.

But now I've got a dedicated, and I register my domains on namecheap. The problem is that my dedicated host isn't allowing me to transfer domains into the account unless they're over 60 days old. Does this mean I need to wait 60 days until I can use the domains with hosting? I know I can redirect the domain but when I'm setting up MySQL/forums ect for the site, will it still work the way I want it to?

Blitz, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  2. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Never heard of a hosting company not hosting a site unless it is over 60 days old.
    Maybe they are peeved at you for not purchasing domains from them?
    Or are you trying to transfer the domain to their service?

If it is the hosting company itself not wanting to host a domain, find another host quick!

iowadawg, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To clarify, my dedicated service (www.theplanet.com) doesn't allow you to transfer domains which are under 60 days old. I'm not sure if this is the normal policy, but they seem like quite a popular host with a good reputation.

Blitz, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  4. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is a difference between transferring domains from one registrar to another.
    And hosting that domain.

Are they refusing to HOST that domain?
    Or telling you to transfer the domain to them it has to be at least 60 days old?

Most registrars will not let you transfer a domain for the first 60 days.

As you mentioned namecheap, namecheap will not let you transfer out or in unless the domain is 60 days old or older.

iowadawg, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, isn't that a huge problem then?

If I want to setup a website with the domain, I'm not able to do it unless I wait 60 days?

Blitz, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  6. ktl

ktl Peon

Best Answers:
    Namecheap is just a domain registrar and theplanet a hosting provider, you need not transfer domain to any hosting company in order to setup your website.

I believe you are confused with DNS & domain name. Read the FAQ on both company's website and you would have a better understanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --showrooms.sg--

ktl, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    60 days is an ICANN rule. All you need to do is change the DNS to point to your new host. You do not need to change the Registrar.

mjewel, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  8. dealsway

dealsway Peon

Best Answers:
    Till 60 days change the DNS at your current registrar and point them to the hosting compnay DNS at which you want to host your site.

After 60 days if you really wants to transfer the domain , start the domain transfer and again setup the domain DNS at new regisrar.

dealsway, Jun 3, 2006 IP
    khasmoth likes this.
  9. dimi

dimi Peon

Best Answers:
    after transfer you must wait 60 days, then you can transfer again

dimi, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  10. khasmoth

khasmoth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said.:)
    If you still having problems with these try to contact both namecheap and your host.
    I few calls will help you.

khasmoth, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  11. AStaupe

AStaupe Peon

Best Answers:
    If you purchase on namecheap.com and then transfer to theplanet.com within 60 days wouldn't you end up paying for the domain twice? Don't most companies charge you to transfer domains? I'd either just buy the domain name from theplanet.com or keep it with namecheap and point it to your website

AStaupe, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  12. IMGster

IMGster Peon

Best Answers:
    I HAVE THE ANSWER

this just means you cant change registrars for your domain(ex: switch from godaddy to 1and1), you can transfer to another person and host it

IMGster, Jun 9, 2006 IP