1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to do these things in wordpress?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by wokaka, Oct 24, 2008.

sorry, kinda new to wordpress customization.

First, i don't get it how could searchenginejournal.com hide some of their article contents in the home page? Just go to their site (searchenginejournal.com) and below every new post at home page, there's word: "[Read more →]"

They hide some of their content until we click the [Read more →] button so we'll visit their specific post to read all of the content. Sorry to ask such a noob question but how to do this? every time i created a new content and the content is long enough, i can see all of them from my home page. For example, i created a new article with 4 paragraphs. I can see the whole paragraphs from my home page (blog's frontpage). So how to hide some of the content?

One more question, I want to have my writers in wordpress, just like in joomla. But every time they logged in, they can see the wordpress logo and dashboard easily although they don't have access to admin area like me. How to change the layout of our dashboard area, etc. so they won't see the basic wordpress layout there?

wokaka, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  2. Phasm

Phasm Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as the Read More issue goes, the reason it does that for searchenginejournal.com is because it is built into their theme (many themes do this), you can find similar themes that will do that for free. And as for the dashboard screen there is a plugin that will take away the dashboard for anybody under Administrator. Hope this helps!

Phasm, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  3. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    add the <!--more--> quick tag

magda, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    doesn't this just cut off the rest of the page in an RSS feed? I dont think it breaks pages anymore.

Pixelrage, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  5. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    no, it doesn't change anything.

so we need to find theme that does it for us? But what kind of theme? I can't find it...

wokaka, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  6. the9crow

the9crow Peon

Best Answers:
    Stupid question, but you are putting the code in the main text body and not the excerpt, also you need to put it in code view and save it as such...

the9crow, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  7. DomainDomain

DomainDomain Active Member

Best Answers:
    DomainDomain, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  8. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, to achieve the "read more" option, I do it differently.

I create a separate excerpt for each post, and display that on the home page rather than the full post (that way, I control it -- it isn't just the first x number of letters/words from the post, it's often completely different text as an article teaser).

I noticed now that when I forget to do this, All in One SEO Pack creates an excerpt anyway from the post for me (which is only new with AIO).

Most themes should handle the MORE tag as mentioned -- just follow what the9crow said and make sure you add it in HTML mode, not visual mode, when editing your post.

DeanKennedy, Oct 25, 2008 IP
    Jenna Appleseed likes this.
  9. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    ok i understand thanks everyone.

wokaka, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  10. ToP_Designer

ToP_Designer Peon

Best Answers:
    if you have any problem you can just drop by . anytime.

aslo. googling will give you more help :rolleyes: only if you have some doubt ... your always here to ask...

sharing and caring..... thats what it is .:)

ToP_Designer, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  11. magicinthedesert

magicinthedesert Peon

Best Answers:
    magicinthedesert, Oct 28, 2008 IP