1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

help with Wordpress meta tags

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Buhawi, Oct 25, 2008.

Hi there!

I have a website (not a blog) set up for me by someone. I wanted something easy to update and manage because I don't have any html knowledge.

My questions are:

• I want each page of the site assigned its own title tag. How can I do this?
    • Same with keywords. I want each page assigned and optimized for certain keywords. How?
    • Google Webmaster Tools tells me that I have duplicate meta descriptions and duplicate meta tags. This is because all pages have the same meta description and title tags. How do I correct this?
    Please lend me your generous advice. I am really in the dark as to how to resolve these issues. :( :confused:

Thanks ahead for your help!

Buhawi, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  2. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on how you edit your site, you will need to add this information within the "head" area of your html code.

Eg, if you're using something like Wordpress (yes, for a site, not a blog), you'd use a plugin like All in One SEO Pack.

It's likely that in your code, a "header" is inserted automatically into each page. Within that header is a common entry for the title and keywords - that's why you're getting that report.

One site I created like for a client many moons ago (about 4 years now I think) in PHP did something similar. BUT, on each page, I could specify the title, description and keywords, and the rest of the main "header" of the page was generated automatically via PHP coding.

Ask the person who designed the site for you how this could be incorporated. I know for sure it's easy both in Wordpress (via the plugin) and in a PHP coded site -- would only take 15 minutes or so to setup. It's probably just as easy from within other platforms too, especially the common ones -- someone will have addressed the issue at some point!

Hopefully that explanation helps.

DeanKennedy, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  3. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
  4. Buhawi

Buhawi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, Dean, thanks a lot for the quick response! :)

The information you provided is indeed helpful and most appreciated. I will definitely be using the plugin.

I have a follow up question, though: can I activate and go ahead with using the plugin without changing anything on my header codes? Will I still get everything right and working as I want them to function?

Thanks again! :cool:

Buhawi, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  5. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad it helped! This is one of my favourite plugins.

It pretty much works from the start -- no need to edit header.php or things like that in your theme.

There's a bunch of settings you'll find on your Dashboard (under the Settings sub-menu, not the Plugins sub-menu) -- that covers most of it. You can then do post/page specific stuff -- have a look too at the FAQ:

http://semperfiwebdesign.com/documentation/all-in-one-seo-pack/all-in-one-seo-faq/

Cheers,