1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do DMOZ editors list their own sites?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by slaydragon, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, hell, everybody would like to know how it's done, so they don't get caught doin it, (especially the dishonest editors) :D

You don't need to know, winifred, just don't try anything shady, ;).

I was never interested in security methods, because I was totally honest. There was no need for me to know, and I'm certainly not naive enough to think that all editors join just to edit, but to find out how to work the system.

Let's just say that there are ways to keep an eye on the whole editing community, for the protection of everyone, both inside and outside the ODP, and that no one but security personnel needs to know anything about it, and an honest editor like yourself has nothing to fear.

crowbar, Oct 25, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    An editor listing his own site isn't a right or a privilege, it's just another site that he is aware of and believes would improve a category.

This is usually done as a new editor, if the site happens to belong in that one small category that he's allowed to edit in. If it doesn't, he has to send it to the correct category, where it will wait right along with every other site for review. (when an editor decides to work in that category).

If he lists it in his category, when it doesn't belong there, it will be spotted by one of several hundred other editors who can and do edit there also, and be moved to the correct category or found wanting, and deleted altogether.

It could also be spotted if the editor requests to edit in other categories.

Unless it's a meta, with privleges to actually look at the editors claimed afilliations on his dashboard, no editor doing normal, everyday editing would know the editor owned that site. It would be just one more of many millions of sites and treated accordingly.

crowbar, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  3. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well if there are any dmoz editors out there ready to list a few of mine for a few dollars please pm me :p

ronmac, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, it's always helpful when people put themselves on the ban list. :D

crowbar, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  5. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    You missed my point. I already know how it's done ;)

You guys are trying to say that you have all these "methods and tools" to discover the kind of abuse that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

You don't.

Like I said, I am an editor if it's a secret then tell me where this information is within dmoz.

If it's there, I'll come back and admit that you are right and I am wrong.

Besides, even if you did have some way to associate an editor with a site, the only reason to keep that method quiet would be because it's crackable.

winifred gray, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You already have your answer. Whether or not you believe it isn't my problem, but trolling won't make it change.

robjones, Oct 25, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    This is a public forum and do have some decency in your posts. It is ok if you just insult your own character, but you are insulting all of DMOZ editors as well.
    Thread closed, enough discussions and repeating and enough mud slinging of DMOZ.

wisdomtool, Oct 25, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.