1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Received A Notification In Harsh Terms Warned By GOOGLE

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by wwwbug, Oct 23, 2008.

:mad:I have just received a notification in harsh terms that I was warned by GOOGLE because I have used the Youtube Downloader as one of my keyword, which is against the policies of ADWORDS. I make all my efforts but cannot find out the related information about such cases. It is said that YOUTUBE has brought such accusations before which seemingly didn’t work. As we all know, this kind of products are still available in the market. I was wondering whether there is anyone who knows how to deal with the ADWORDS and make me continue with my product, which is some kind of VIDEO DOWNLOAD. It is very appreciated for your advice.

wwwbug, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  2. anwaraa

anwaraa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your problem is two-fold:

1. Google owns youtube and I assume don't want unauthorized software to be associated with youtube and/or,
    2. youtube is a registered trademark - google doesn't accept ads with trademark terms.

My advice would be to rewrite your sales piece, ads, software to be a more general video downloader without specifically mentioning youtube by name for example, you could say: works on all video sharing sites, etc.

anwaraa, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  3. patrickberry

patrickberry Active Member

Best Answers:
    end of story.

patrickberry, Oct 23, 2008 IP
    scubita likes this.
  4. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    are u sure google doesnt accept ads on keywords which are trademark ?

Bohra, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  5. patrickberry

patrickberry Active Member

Best Answers:
    they have a clear published policy on this.

patrickberry, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  6. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure ... however there a lawsuit previously of some american airlines involving this keyword issue only. So google it. ;)

gsv13, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  7. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
  8. SpeakToMe

SpeakToMe Peon

Best Answers:
    Searching in Google, I am unable to find a single instance where a well known product name does not result in paid links from second-tier commercial sites piggybacking off of the name used by the better known company.

SpeakToMe, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  9. wwwbug

wwwbug Peon

Best Answers:
    my product is a Video download and conversion Program, it can download youtube video, so i use the keyword" youtube video downloader" or "video downloader", they converted well before google banned my ads

wwwbug, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  10. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    i was surprised i cant use "WoW" in my ad's headlines due to trademark issues...seriously...

GeorgR., Oct 25, 2008 IP
  11. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't mess with google all they'll end it all for you!

Michaelr, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  12. trishan

trishan Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is the trademark policy is there because some guy in G's legal department said it ought to be there. It's a bit like real life. There's all these laws and regulations that are hardly ever followed until someone brings offenders to light.

My neighbour who is a builder of some sort parks his huge vehicle outside his house. It's against council law but he'll continue to park it at home until someone lodges a formal complaint.

Same thing with Adwords. As you say lot's of companies piggy backing off others keywords. I make sure that all my clients are bidding on their competitions names (it works really well). Noone complains and if they do, the worst that can happen is that G asks you to stop bidding on those keywords. (most don't complain although I did have one listed company contact me a while ago to stop bidding on their trademarked name :D)

trishan, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  13. anwaraa

anwaraa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    At some point, this whole trademark issue descends into madness because google is scared of being sued. If a trademark exits because of a unique name like microsoft, youtube, coca cola, then one can understand. But if somebody has trademarked a common english word like "ideal" then it becomes crazy. I recently had a keyword declined for trademark reasons because it had the word "ideal" in it - go figure. If I had used the word in a newspaper ad, I would be okay but NOT on King Google...

anwaraa, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  14. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    As I understand it, it also depends what country you are based in. In the US it seems G will not allow the use of trademarks as keywords, elsewhere, e.g. for me in the UK, it is okay.

It does seem, from comments here and elsewhere, that Google are. perhaps, overly zealous on the interpretation of trademarking law. Although I stand to be corrected on this, the main point is that trademark protection can only be cited where there is a liability to mislead or confuse the public/ consumer, i.e. you cannot use a company logo or graphic similar to an existing one but, more importantly for adwords users, there is , theoretically, no transgression if you use a trademarked name or word if advertising a totally unrelated product, e.g. I think you may find that "Ideal" is owned by Nestle or some such company and was/is the tradename of a tinned milk product (as I recall) therefore, you could not advertize a milk product using the word but if you are using it in its normal meaning as part of your ad, or you sell "Ideal video widgets" there should not be a conflict. Of course, it is much easier for Google to simply blanket ban everything than argue the point with trademark owners.

bjewelled, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  15. trishan

trishan Peon

Best Answers:
    It's about cost too. Making decisions on a case by case basis would take lots of time and might require people with legal/trademark knowledge. Much easier to auto-ban or blanket ban everything as you say. The shareholders are happy but advertisers are left dissatisfied.

trishan, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  16. anwaraa

anwaraa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

You are 100% correct. You've hit the nail perfectly on the head. I agree completely.

anwaraa, Oct 27, 2008 IP