1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seeing strange SERPs in google

Discussion in 'Google' started by Spacen, Feb 5, 2005.

As most of you do, I check my ranking pretty much every day in google. I know the top 10 by heart for my keywords. Today the SERPs are very different for my keywords. Anyone else noticing anything different? Only a few of the top 10 are still there and the others are spread out and some are gone.

Yesterday I was on page 1. Today I'm on page 43. There are now sites on the first few pages that I've never seen in the SERPs before.

I decided to see what was going on and went to mcdar.net and used their google dance tool. The results are very mixed. On some datacenters I'm still where I was yesterday. On others, I've fallen to page 3. On others, I'm on page 43. Still on others such as www2, I've risen from about #8 to #5.

Is anyone else seeing strange results like this? Is there an algo change taking place?

Spacen, Feb 5, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    when was the last time you had checked?

a pretty big update hit not too long ago (being called update Allegra in a few places). it didn't hit any of my sites at all, really, so I haven't been paying that close of attention to it

disgust, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  3. Spacen

Spacen Peon

Best Answers:
    I check every day literally. Yesterday I was fine.

I also just noticed that I dropped from 5 to 10 in allinanchor for my keywords.

All of this in one day.

If it was just my site I wouldn't think anything of it, but most of the first page for my keywords has changed.

Spacen, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  4. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    ResaleBroker, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  5. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    omg what a joke!

I looked at that site and loaded spam in my bowser....ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH report them SOB's!!!

Seriously! Damn browser popups!

Cheers

gchaney, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  6. Estrange

Estrange Peon

Best Answers:
    seems like new algo spreading all over DCs

Estrange, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  7. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont think it is a new algo at all. Its an old index showing.

crazyhorse, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  8. Estrange

Estrange Peon

Best Answers:
    what you mean by the old index crazyhorse? How old is it?
    Been almost the same since nov. 2004 until today.

Attached Files:

Estrange, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  9. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    I got no idea how old it is but what i have noticed is that sites that disappeared like a month or two ago are now back in the serps.

10. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I can tell you for our real estate market, the results are not old. I have seen new sites go into the top 10. This is the shake up that most of us have been talking about with a new algo being released. From what I can tell a few filters have been removed and a few added. I think this is googles way of trying to combat the MSN results as far as I can see for our industry which is real estate.

There has also been a BL update as a few of our sites have gained BLs but this is a new algo IMHO.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  11. Estrange

Estrange Peon

Best Answers:
    check out the image that I post. IMO for the sites that has been returned back to serps, does not mean that the index is old, does it?

Estrange, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  12. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know - Maybe it is an old index - my newer sites dropped considerably, my older site got HUGE serp increases

joeychgo, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  13. Estrange

Estrange Peon

Best Answers:
    Antoher problem is;
    I was thinking that if we all analyse G's algo, we could understand and find a way to get out these filters. But now I'm so pesimistic.
    While I was thinking how to get over this G filtering issue, suddenly I found my site in top 10, without changing anything.
    This is not a relief unfortunately.

Estrange, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  14. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    I cant tell , but logically it would then be the same kind of filter they are using otherwise the sites wouldnt be back in the serps right. :D

15. Estrange

Estrange Peon

Best Answers:
    guys we have to stand together and sort this out, I had enough, G is playing with us on their finger :p grrrrrr
    We have to understand this algo :rolleyes:

Estrange, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  16. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Well to be honest im pretty satisfied with the results and visitors G is giving me. Although i think its showing us old results im still ranked pretty well.

17. Spacen

Spacen Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I just checked again...I'm now #3 for a live search. I just may emerge higher than I was when this is all over with. Whatever is happeining, it's weird.

Spacen, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  18. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely different SERPs. Looks like my links are no longer sandboxed! My 8 month old site has been held back all along. For my main phrase I made it to #36 about 3 months ago, then sent to #56, then #76.

Since the Feb 2 update I've bounced between #58, 71, and 130. This morning though #6 ! Please let this hold. . .

longcall911, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  19. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    I monitor a number of client sites. Most have gained dramatically in G rank positions overnight. Some gained 40 to 60 positions across the board.

However, a few dropped out entirely. The commong thread I see with sites that dropped out is that the cache is gone. PR and backlinks are still in place, but no cach and no rank postions. These are absolutely spam-free sites that held good ranking positions yesterday. Is anyone else seeing this?

TechEvangelist, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  20. Spacen

Spacen Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't panic yet. That's what I did last night when I started this thread. It now appears the serps are back to normal pretty much. The top 10 for my keywords are almost exactly the same as they were before except several have changed places. Wait a few days and see what happens.

EDIT: It appears SERPs for different keywords are being updated at different times. I think this update has been happening for many days and it just got to my keywords yesterday. After 1 day (two days tops), the update appeared to be mostly complete and propogated.

Spacen, Feb 6, 2005 IP