1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My AdSense Experience So Far

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by DaVe™, Jun 1, 2006.

BIG POST ALERT

Been going at adsense since end of March, made little money in march and april with making sites in half an hour, flinging them up, putting ads in them, throwing cheap PPC traffic at it and expecting to make a fortune lol.

So i had a look around, decided i needed a good site, one that people actually like, and return to, so late april, i registered another domain, and started building content, i still had no traffic, and i sumbitted my site to google, dmoz etc.

I started getting 3-4 uniques a day and my logs wern't showing any refferers and i couldn't find any links to my site online anywhere.

So i worked on building the content, and the traffic stayed the same, then roughly 3 weeks after registeing the domain and starting the site, i got my homepage listed in google, which didn't bring much traffic, but ever since, the amount of pages listed has grown, and i have near enough my whole site listed in msn.

Now the traffic is getting better, im on about 40-50 uniques a day, but still no clicks, so i tried to increase the traffic and get a bit of exposure for the site at the same time, by submitting a story to shoutwire.

Little to my knowledge, and first time submitting any kind of story to anywhere, it was listed on the front page and brought me 6800 uniques the first day, and 500 uniques at least every day (some days nearly 3000) ever since then to this day. Now google has indexed MUCH more pages, and i have gotten a few links from peoples blogs etc. I can see people using the 'Tell a Friend' function, so i know they like the content.

I have also been submitting to free directories, and searching for things my site offers on google, and going into forums to tell people about it (NOT SPAM lol, most people reply with, cool nice site, or thanks or something, i haven't had one post deleted from a forum yet)

On the down side, I think i have been hit with smart pricing yesterday and today, seems that all my clicks are worth 5 or 10 cents max, has dropped my earnings down alot, i wasn't making much, but now im making MUCH less :(

On the up side, looks like im getting listed better for more keywords, and getting not bad traffic through google, which is building steadily, so hopefully the increase in traffic will compensate for the decrease in CPC :)

Edit: Whoa that is a long post... doubt anyone will read it ahahahaha

DaVe™, Jun 1, 2006 IP
    Joshman1204 likes this.
  2. fablex

fablex Peon

Best Answers:
    nice site (damn, i want that Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren... maybe in a few years, when my sites earn me some more money :p).

Anyway, you say it isnt making much money, maybe you need to play a bit with the ad positioning. Try a big 336x280 at the bottom of each article, since after reading, people will want to read more (if you do it good), and they click on the ad to get more info. Or maybe try a 728 leaderboard at the top?

fablex, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  3. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    are shout wire and other article sites that good?

mobilebay, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  4. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    How did you manage to get an article on the first page, was paying involved? No a lot of SEO tricks however not done many articles as yet, seems I may have to change.

cool site

5. DaVe™

DaVe™ Peon

Best Answers:

it was luck that got me onto the frontpage lol... i didn't even know it had happened until a good few hours later i looked at my stats, and WOW!

DaVe™, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  6. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    well congrats you did well :)

7. raugusto

raugusto Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi, from my experience and from what I saw on your site, as it is today, the adsense integration is good. Maybe I would suggest to put the referer buttom down. The link unit you use is the one that gives me more earnings, so I suggest I it replace the referal button. Have You played with another links colour?

If you want to exchange some traffic, I have some car related websites, like http://tuningnews.blogsome.com

raugusto, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  8. gn77

gn77 Peon

Best Answers:
    good read. Thanks for sharing :).. I guess I also need to write articles, and submit my site to directories to increase traffic

gn77, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  9. emitind

emitind Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice story. That site is also well done :)

BTW, where did you source your content from, from websites in competition (if they have the same theme)?

emitind, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  10. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, DaVeâ„¢, is the site you're talking about the one in your sig? If so, you might want to try taking off some of the ads, go for the less is more approach. Seems a tad cluttered up there...

jackburton2006, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  11. DaVe™

DaVe™ Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks Jack, i appreicate your comments.

Any input on which one('s) i should take away... i was thinking the big skyscraper?

DaVe™, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  12. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, go for the skyscraper. If that doesn't noticably increase your CTR, try the 468 next.

jackburton2006, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  13. ysb888

ysb888 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great experience that can let me learn much more from you!

ysb888, Jun 1, 2010 IP