1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

unable to verify my site

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by IanVelvet, May 26, 2006.

i have been able to verify all my site's.. except for one.. it says its returning a 404 error of 200..

anyone know how to fix this because my hosting company does not!

IanVelvet, May 26, 2006 IP
  2. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you meaning you just check to see if the site comes up?

If the site's main page not coming up, check into cpanel and see if the main page is still there and that it has the site page in it.

iowadawg, May 26, 2006 IP
  3. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you save and upload an html file to your server that was given you by Google as a series of digits that appeared when you attempted to verify?

Looks something like: googlecf19ade3691ae2c4.html

~VegasMack

VegasMack, May 26, 2006 IP
  4. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think I saw this once and tried again an hour or so later and all was good.

MatthewN, May 26, 2006 IP
  5. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    I have only had that happen with Yahoo!

~VegasMack

VegasMack, May 26, 2006 IP
  6. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is likely that you are using a redirect page that actually redirects to a 'good' page. The 200 (Found) shows up from the good page and Google says no go...

Turn off your error pages and redirection, test with Google, and they'll likely let you in. Google will check this at random and turn you off again, but you'll know that this is it.

To permanently fix this you'll need a bit of http scripting to return a proper 404 while displaying the page. Does your site use PHP? I have a fix for you if it does.

MaxPowers, May 26, 2006 IP
  7. khakha

khakha Peon

Best Answers:
    look into http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/verify.html

:)

khakha, May 27, 2006 IP
  8. AmmoX

AmmoX Guest

Best Answers:
    Check the file name for a trailing space. Especially if you uploaded the file through an interface. If you copy the 19387318310231.html file name from googs page you will probably have a space after .html which may cause issues.

AmmoX, May 27, 2006 IP
  9. IanVelvet

IanVelvet Peon

Best Answers:
    this is what is happenign and I need to know how to fix that

We've detected that your 404 (file not found) error page returns a status of 200 (OK) in the header.
    This configuration presents a security risk for site verification and therefore, we can't verify your site. If your web server is configured to return a status of 200 in the header of 404 pages, and we enabled you to verify your site with this configuration, others would be able to take advantage of this and verify your site as well. This would allow others to see your site statistics. To ensure that no one can take advantage of this configuration to view statistics to sites they don't own, we only verify sites that return a status of 404 in the header of 404 pages.

Please modify your web server configuration to return a status of 404 in the header of 404 pages. Note that we do a HEAD request (and not a GET request) when we check for this. Once your web server is configured correctly, try to verify the site again. If your web server is configured this way and you receive this error, click Check Status again and we'll recheck your configuration.

IanVelvet, May 30, 2006 IP
  10. AmmoX

AmmoX Guest

Best Answers:
    The very first thing that comes to mind is having your server configured to send all 404 (and maybe other error pages) to your home page or some other redirect.

Also, if you have customer error pages built be sure that they present the correct header code. You can pretty them up all you want but they need to process as error pages.

What type of server? What type of site or CMS?

One other thing to do is do a search for a page header reader. Don't have a link handy. And try hitting a couple of your pages to see what headers are being sent.

I'd be willing to bet that the first item is the issue.

AmmoX, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  11. IanVelvet

IanVelvet Peon

Best Answers:
    good advice. I will have to look into it..

Did anyone see the new ask commercial..

They claim there results are better then googles and that people only search google because its more popular!

ask is really giving it to google

IanVelvet, Jun 1, 2006 IP