1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Written a Top 5 Modules for Drupal Sites

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by nks, Oct 19, 2008.

Hi fellow DP members, I've written an article on Top 5 modules recommended for Drupal CMS sites. I realised that Drupal is not well publicised as WordPress, so perhaps this will give some insiders information on which modules should be recommended. Some of them are for SEO purposes, such as site map. Others are for ease-of-use, e.g. FCKeditor.

Apart from these 2, there are the rest as well; which I am sure most of you (who are Drupal users) have more to offer.

nks, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  2. CommonDavid

CommonDavid Peon

Best Answers:
    CommonDavid, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I think drupal is a far better cms than wordpress. I use it on my site at www.nanovip.com and have around 9000 pages indexed within the site and Drupal manages it very well. Not sure how WP would cope.

JohnT

Wordsmith, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  4. CommonDavid

CommonDavid Peon

Best Answers:
    Good stuff :)

CommonDavid, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  5. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is more of a blog rather than a CMS. However, if you want to know how WP can cope with that huge amount of page, take a look at Coolest Gadgets, it runs the site using WordPress.

nks, Oct 19, 2008 IP
    dct likes this.
  6. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice one! I am always amazed at the flexibility of Drupal and the amazing stuff people can create with it.

BTW, you haven't enabled friendly urls. Any particular reason? :confused:

einsteinsboi, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  7. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is; unless he uses pathauto module (so-called plugin) on his Drupal site, then every page is not URL friendly. So, creating a content with friendly URL becomes a hassle, which is exactly why I recommend this module as part of Top 5 Drupal must-have modules.

nks, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I did have one major problem with Drupal. I had a massive ongoing SQL attack. Had around 22 thousand spam post's placed in the 'comments' - I am on a Dedi server and the server was knocked out at least once a week.

Have been trying to locate the problem and obviously the first thing was to disable members write access and have read only but that has sort of stopped the whole interactive thing on the site. I have disabled a couple of modules and up to now the site has been ok for the last 2 weeks.

I am no expert so I try to bumble along. Could do with an expert to search for the problems or the hole that is allowing these attacks. I am totally updated to all the latest versions

JohnT
    nanovip//com

Wordsmith, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  9. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try Mollom module - the free version gives you up to 1,000 spam protection a day. I know it's not the best module. In previous versions of Drupal, e.g. Drupal 5, there is a module known as spam module, which actually helps a lot to identify these spams; unfortunately it's not available in version 6.

Hence, I would strong suggest that you give Mollom a try. It's quite good; only thing that you may have to sign up with Mollom. I didn't feel good prior using it, but after that it seems to work miracle.

nks, Oct 21, 2008 IP