1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Place our link on competitor's page: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by vnviews, May 31, 2006.

Maybe the question sounds a little stupidly.:D
    If YES, what points we have to pay attention for, when placing our link on competitor's pages?
    Thanks for your input.
    Tuan.

vnviews, May 31, 2006 IP
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can get your links on a competitors page thats great. There are no drawbacks to this at all.

mad4, May 31, 2006 IP
  3. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with mad4 but I'd add a more emphatic: HELL YES! on that. Getting a link on a competitor's site won't hurt you and can help you a great deal in BL/PR "power" and perception by viewers.

Of course, I'd never put a competitor's link on my site for exactly those reasons.

rmccarley, May 31, 2006 IP
  4. unionturf

unionturf Peon

Best Answers:
    I have text links on several sits that are competition, I follow their rules and post in a way that helps their sites content.

unionturf, May 31, 2006 IP
  5. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    There's ways to COOPERATE instead of compete. Maybe agree on a section content for section content swap.

webmasterlabor.com, May 31, 2006 IP
  6. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would not suggest taht you do it. There is other ways to get backlinks, avoid that one... :p

irka, May 31, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  7. seoBear

seoBear Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why, irka? What's wrong about getting a link from your competitor (especially for a one-way link)?

seoBear, May 31, 2006 IP
  8. vnviews

vnviews Peon

Best Answers:
    Irka,
    Can you explain a little more?

vnviews, May 31, 2006 IP
  9. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    The drawback is raising your competitor's awareness of you. If they are big and have deep pockets they might just completely copy all of the unique stuff about your site. Ultimately if you are successful, they will find out about you. Best case scenario is that they are lazy and don't care.

Cutter, May 31, 2006 IP
  10. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    we ( company site : http://www.featuredhost.com ) have recieved several link exchange offers from our competitors , but till now we have never done such , simply because ... it makes our customers aware of the competitor . We try seo techniques to reach to the customers and not let them know abt others ... so doing a link exchange is simply probably murderring that , IMHO

websys, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  11. GoWFB_SEO

GoWFB_SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess the answer is No. Why would you give your competitor a link? unless they are bigger than you and would give you a link back

GoWFB_SEO, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  12. Affers

Affers Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think this question can be answered without going into specifics. Surely it depends on what your site is all about?

For me I run a football blog dedicated to a certain English soccer team. I have lots of links to other sites dedicated to the same team. I've noticed that a lot of my visitors click out of my site to another site dedicated to the same team.

But to me, that's absolutely fine since I'm part of a wider community and collectively we offer every single view and resource that is needed. It's impossible for one site to have it all. But that said, I still believe that my site offers SOMETHING different to the rest. If it didn't, I wouldn't bother running it.

If I ran a business site or a site where I hoped to make a living or lots of money, there's no way I'd allow my visitors to visit my rivals or leave my site. I'd try everything to cover every angle and make sure that my service was by far and away the best possible site that it could be.

I'd try and get links from my competitors and pay to advertise on rivals sites that I believe that I am better than. I'd try and be aggressive and use the tactic of divide and conquer. The smaller rivals are the people you need to steal visitors from but bigger sites are the people you need to make 'friends' with.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Affers, Jun 1, 2006 IP