1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP SEO Contest?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pixeladd, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    exactly my point, why its going to be hard to get a "sponsor"....most people think sponsors are companies with money to burn, and look at it from a selfish perspective...be a sponsor one time and get zero results, you will learn to consider harder where you put your money.

The target audience is the low end...people who can't afford 10 bucks for a domain (or complain its too much of an expense) want all kinds of free stuff (reason for entering) people who don't have hosting and want it dirt cheap with A1 support 24/7. Notice you don't see intel, nvidia, best buy or any of those guys who DO sponsor events for this type market, don't sponsor these small seo contests?

I have several sites #1 in google for both myself and clients...i don't need to show I am for real, i have people who PAY ME!

Why would I make all kinds of effort for a contest I might not win, and if I do, i still make 100x less than what i would for just offering my service to a customer?

I think all the "number 1 in google" guys are saying to YOU..SHOW US YOU ARE FOR REAL!

put some xx,xxx or x,xxx cash in there, and give multiple levels of prizes, if you want the big dogs to enter.

Put in the work and effort to make this legit and get the contestants to sign up if you want the sponsors.

But its gonna take effort if you want this to work, friend. It won't fall in place, and no one will help you, they will just look to you to get it done (as you already see)

Great idea, but you will be expected to run with it.

BusinessCoach, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  2. TheRazor5

TheRazor5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. This is something that will take a lot of afford and time to attract good competitors you just need to bring up the prizes.

Yes, without contestants numbers I believe that's a little bit hard to get.

TheRazor5, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  3. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What about sending a mail to top 30 marketing/make money online blogs asking for prizes such as advertisement/banners?

siflur, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  4. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    good idea, but what's in it for them?

BusinessCoach, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  5. TheRazor5

TheRazor5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Advertising, links, promotion, etc...

TheRazor5, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  6. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    .info also count as domain, right? I think I would join in.

tradeya, Oct 17, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  7. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

oh please - give me a break, .me .asia .info - they are all domains :p

ronmac, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  8. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    who is buying advertising, i have yet to hear of paid ads promoting this contest?

advertising to who? so far, the onlyones interested are people with no money.

promotion? again...how?

and how is it better then simply going to adwords, or their own mailing list, or better yet, advertising on the "OTHER" top blogs?

stop thinking like "pat", and realize what YOU want is irrelavent. People don't sponsor for YOU, they sponsor for themselves, so they want to know SPECIFICALLY whats in it for me.

Matter fact thats the exact reason this hasn't happened yet.

the entrants want to know...whats in it for me

the sponsors want to know...whats in it for me

and it seems even now the original organizer wants to know....whats in it for me....lol

you gotta be able to answer that for all involved before you can even think about anything happening.

So far for both contests and sponsors the answer is...nothing.:(

BusinessCoach, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  9. TheRazor5

TheRazor5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks to me that you don't have much of experience with advertisements.

Let's say there are 10 contestants, that's 10 sites, going for the top. Those sites will not just happen to be there, they will get traffic for them selfs.

If those sites have an ad rotator with advertisements for all the sponsors + backlinks. That's exposure.

Where is that different from adWords? In adwords you buy traffic only, here you also get backlinks.
    In adWords you have to pay per Click, here each sponsor gives like 25 - 50 bucks and get exposure in >10 sites.

How do they get promotion?

A page totally devoted to each sponsor on each site of the contestants.

10. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    I think its you who doesnt. I have owned an ad agency for the last 18 years and have spent millions of dollars for myself and other in every form of advertising you can imagine.

I also have raised 100s of 1000s in sponsor dollars, as well as spent 10s of 1000s as a sponsor...what have you done?

This shows you are thinking the wrong direction. What kind of traffic are they going to get for a non searched term...the purpose was to see who could get to the top, but they DIDNT choose it for a competive keyword, they are making a FICTIONAL keyphrase...someone even mentioned one with 6 different keywords in the phrase...so, even though they will be the first 10, there wont be a lot of traffic outside those already competing and those spectating.

you mean a banner ad? Banner ads died in 2000. You need to get MILLIONS of impressions to see any kind of worthwile results from banners...most people IGNORE banners, very few pay attention, and even less click them...don't take my word for it, just look it up.

hmmm....so you don't get backlinks from adwords....you sure??? Well you are wrong, and if you EVER used adwords, and not just read about it in an ebook, you would know that.

and so you may get backlinks, no one will care, these are all new sites, so they don't have much "weight". Not to mention they are backlinks from sites UNRELATED to the sponsors main business...lastly, no one will be clicking them.

In adwords, every click is someone who is at least interested, not as many looky loos. If i put "website promotion" on adwords, its usually someone who has an interest in that....unlike with what your saying, itts most likely someone who just happened to be watching this competition and has no desire/cant afford website promotion

the reason adwords works, is because the people clicking are targeted...25-50 bucks is nothing...unless you just p#$$ it down the toilet on a contest no one bothers to enter/watch.

50 bucks in adwords will get you a couple days in competive short tail, and a good weeks worth of entry level long tail keywords. which can translate to 100s of visitors. Its not likely these sites will drive hundreds to the sponsors...very unlikely actually.

sounds good in theory, but who will end up on that page? the people watching don't care who sponsored it, they are trying to figure out how the other newbies got to the top for this ranking.

Its a non existant word, a phrase with no competition...no established sites, no competing seo...this contest is easy to own, but impractical to use any of the methods in real life.

Might as well use MSN instead of google...lol

The truth is, you won't learn much from this UNLESS YOU DO IT for a competitive keyword.

This has very little value for a sponsor...however i think its a great idea for the dp community. for those looking to practice and learn the basics of seo.

But don't think anyone would want to spend money on this, unless they just feel they want to give money to this "because". Which could happen, but won't be a business decision.

in the future...don't wake the sleeping lion;):p

11. Matsuri

Matsuri Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds very interesting...
    I am in .. ;)

Matsuri, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  12. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is the contest on ?
    what are the prizes ?

MeetHere, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  13. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't ask for that.
    Read the thread...

siflur, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  14. TheRazor5

TheRazor5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't seen anyone mention a 4 word Term, that's just foolish. You need some competition to be able to at least have some fun at it.

If noobs want to learn something, they can just grab some ebooks or get a seo course. A competition it's not for noobs.

Care to tell me how can you get backlinks from AdWords?

15. kozyavka

kozyavka Active Member

Best Answers:
    exactly. I think that rules should be worked out first otherwise it's not a contest but a complete mess

kozyavka, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  16. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    So, when the contest actually starts? 'Cause I saw lots of talks but no action...

mg1313, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  17. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    ok so you make it a habit of being wrong? or just not paying attention.

Your right it wasnt a 4 keyword phrase, it was SIX!

and as stated several times, it will be for LOW LEVEL prizes and keywords without a lot of competition

that means...NO BIG TIME COMPETITORS (cuz of small prizes) and NOT A LOT OF TRAFFIC GENERATED (cuz of non-competitive keywords)

and uh...welll as far as backlinks...again, try advertising with adwords or yahoo or any of them. You see people place these ads (called adsense) on their websites...and as a result it causes backlinks to the advertiser...it's all very simple really, but apparently you feel its complex, i encourage you to get one of the 100s of ebooks on the subject or better yet...DO SOME ADVERTISING before you try to tell someone how ads do or do not work:cool:

18. Australianfranchises

Australianfranchises Peon

Best Answers:
    Here Sounds are great.

Australianfranchises, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  19. TheRazor5

TheRazor5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol. Man you are great. Adsense codes are not live links, so they don't count as backlinks obviously.

I think you should read less crap and get more solid ebooks into your digital bookshelf.

TheRazor5, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  20. TheRazor5

TheRazor5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest something like "Chicago half marathon". Something with some traffic and with no huge competitors and specially no one selling anything.

TheRazor5, Oct 18, 2008 IP