1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it Blackhat to use Craigslist for Affiliate promotion?

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by rome9t9, Oct 12, 2008.

Just recently i read a post by someone using craigslist with an autoresponder in gmail and using it for affiliate promotion. Is it Balckhat??

Wont the affiliate network/merchant know that we are using this technique??

rome9t9, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  2. Aloha8919

Aloha8919 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion i think blackhat is over done. I think the customers know what is going on. When ever im on craigslist interested in a item, i always get emailed with a link. I automatically know........

Aloha8919, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  3. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    im assuming you are referring to my post ;). it depends on the affiliate network, some allow CL traffic, others don't. it can be blackhat in that you can hide the referrer from the network - but it's entirely down to your specific network

superpump, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  4. rome9t9

rome9t9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup..i saw your post..
    Now my question is how does the network know that the traffic is from Craigslist?? If is send the link through email(autoresponder in Gmail) then the network will see that the visitor is coming from an email..innit??

rome9t9, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  5. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its not at all blackhat as long as u r sending them targetted leads and if advertiser allow u to promote with email marketing.

getjimmy, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  6. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is more with the CTR, if they click on your link in the email, it will be really high, so the way around it is to get them to type the link into their browser, and it shouldn't get any red flags from the network

superpump, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  7. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's blackhat, because craiglist doesn't allow promotion of digital products. Cragilist is against promotion of digital goods. Also people who use craigslist for affiliate marketing, break the rules and post the same ad in several differents cities.

Ripped, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  8. rome9t9

rome9t9 Peon

Best Answers:
    But there is always a high CTR in targeted email campaigns. How will that make the networks suspicious??

rome9t9, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  9. upprup

upprup Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know that before!!

upprup, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  10. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What rules? Are u sure craiglist do not allow promotion of digital products?

getjimmy, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  11. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about digital products, but they don't allow you to advertise an internet site.

Also, to be honest, all the people that use craigslist for affiliate promotion, do it the blackhat way, by posting the same ad several citiies which is not allowed

Ripped, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  12. Tacoman916

Tacoman916 Banned

Best Answers:
    hey i can help you out, i charge 0.20 per post, however i give discounts for big orders, let me know if oyur interested. I know everything about posting on craigslsit.

Tacoman916, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  13. Christ

Christ Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are too many people promote all kinds of products in Craigslist and I think some CPA now considered it illegal.

Christ, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  14. Tacoman916

Tacoman916 Banned

Best Answers:
    There are million and millions of craigslist page views daily, there are plenty of advertiser to advertise to.

Tacoman916, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  15. JMapleton

JMapleton Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not blackhat, but it not a very good idea because your messages will get deleted fast.

JMapleton, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  16. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's exactly why it's blackhat, because you're messages get deleted, cragslist doesn't allow them, you break their TOS, and they delete it. That's what makes it blackhat

Ripped, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  17. Tacoman916

Tacoman916 Banned

Best Answers:
    hahaha that depends on if you know what your doing or not. ALL MY ADS get flagged but by real people not bot.

Tacoman916, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  18. Lasvegaspi

Lasvegaspi Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an affiliate program that pays an average $20 per sale. I don't mind CL traffic at all. In fact my affiliates that use CL make at least 2 sales a day.

Lasvegaspi, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  19. rome9t9

rome9t9 Peon

Best Answers:
    How are you able to track the traffic if its coming from CL or not??Becasue they mostly come from Emails. Not CL.

rome9t9, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  20. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is taken from the Craigslist TOS http://www.craigslist.org/about/terms.of.use

This is what is not allowed:

It doesn't depend if you know or don't know what you're doing.

It's blackhat either way, If you don't know what you're doing the ad is getting flagged and removed, if you know what you're doing, and your ad isn't flagged, it's still blackhat, because you're breaking the rules, it doesn't matter if you get away with it or you don't.

If you rob a bank and get away with it, it's still illegal, but you have just gotten away with it.

The question is not whether you can or cannot get away with it, but it is whether it is blackhat. The question is yes. I have posted an excerpt from the Cragslist TOS which clearly states that you're not allowed to post affiliate material.

Cragslist is working hard to enforce this, but they will not always manage to remove 100% of the ads which break their TOS. They do manage to remove most of them tho.

It is clearly evident that craigslist posting for affiliate offers is indeed BLACKHAT

Ripped, Oct 17, 2008 IP