1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing My Blog

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by kiteguy123, Oct 12, 2008.

Hi.
    I'm in the process of starting up a blog that will basically be focused around Sport, Gadgets and other things like that, but I'm going to need some ideas for marketing it.

I'll be on a fairly low budget, I've thought of a few ideas already such as article marketing, YouTube marketing, buying links and holding some contests, but any more ideas are appreciated...

Also, what sort of sites should I buy links from? Other similar blogs, related sites, slightly off topic sites etc?

Thanks

kiteguy123, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  2. 0lgi

0lgi Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello kiteguy123 ,

Personally I am against buying links (as you already said you will be on a fairly low budget). There is a tool (BackLinkMagic.com) which finds all the do-follow blogs related to your desired niche. You can try and get as many backlinks as you want from the same niche your blog will be, its quite interesting and overall its FREE

Have a nice time and hope you achieve your goals and objectives

Best Regards

Olgi Zenullari

0lgi, Oct 12, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  3. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Olgi. Is it legal though, and can I be penalised by search engines and the similar for using it?

4. 0lgi

0lgi Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope I don't see why you should be penalized! Its just a simple tool which finds blogs that have the do-follow attribute on their comments :)

0lgi, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  5. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Ah OK, I'll give that a try then, thanks.

In terms of holding a contest, I was going to have a few prizes: cash, vouchers, advertising space on the site etc, but I have a very important question on that: how do I allow people to enter? My blog doesn't have an option to sign up, and I can't even find an option to subscribe to feeds, so I was thinking of making it so if you post a comment on 2 blog posts then you are entered, and everytime you complete 2 comments you are entered again, so, for instance, if you posted 10 comments then you'd be entered 5 times?

6. 0lgi

0lgi Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello again ,

You can add an Email Subscription box from FeedBurner.com (see olgizenullari.com for a demo) and you can see all the members who have signed up

You can check the statistics from the control panel of FeedBurner and everything will be cool

So , you can have a contest , tell them to subscribe and then make at least 3 blog comments

0lgi, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  7. lissie

lissie Peon

Best Answers:
    lissie, Oct 12, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  8. Vi44

Vi44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the useful tip, I will look that up in Feedburner.

Vi

Vi44, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  9. simacaj

simacaj Peon

Best Answers:
    Another idea for marketing your site is to post on forums and include your link in the signature. Also make sure you find blogs that are related to yours and ask if you can guest post on these blogs. The more people you network with, the easier it is to get traffic to your site.

simacaj, Oct 12, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  10. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    0lgi - Thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly be looking into it. I plan to make quite a few posts and have guest writers (hopefully around 4 or 5 posts per day) so I'm not sure that email subscription would be a good thing because there are going to be so many posts...

Lissie - Thanks for the heads up, but why is it illegal? I'll be advertising my blog by posting comments on others' blogs with my URL, thanks for reminding me ;)

simacij - Thanks, I'll definitely be posting in other forums and asking to guest post on others' blogs - Thanks!

Repped you all ;)

11. alek

alek Banned

Best Answers:
    As for as blog marketing concerned, I think the best way to promote your blog is get some backlinks from the high quality sites, make your content unique.

alek, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  12. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    My content will be fully unique. I hate it when people steal content from others as it undermines their hard work, so I'm not going to start copying other people's. It's going to be a lot of work to keep it updated to the amount that I want to, but I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run.

What 'high quality sites' do you suggest?

13. worldwords

worldwords Peon

Best Answers:
    First do keyword research and look for keywords that have competition of 30,000 or fewer pages already if you can so you have a better chance when you write articles around the keyword of scoring at or near the first page of the search engines.

Then write articles around the cluster of keywords that look to have the best combination of relevance to your niche, not over-used in order to get higher page ranking quickly, and that have the best rates of conversion. The keyword analysis tool I use is MarketSamurai. It is truly awesome.

Then just keep expanding your articles and your keywords that you write articles about until you rise in the ranks of the search engines.

To help you do this, bookmark your articles and blog posts religiously using social bookmarking tools, and if you have the money, put in Google Adwords ads for the keywords that you can afford and that have the best potential value.

Liz N

worldwords, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  14. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can only think of a contest as it would help you get some link and some readers to your site.

Chancey, Oct 12, 2008 IP