1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google No Longer Suggests Directory Submission.....???

Discussion in 'Google' started by seo2u, Oct 3, 2008.

1. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Evidence of this is not that hard to find.

swedal, Oct 8, 2008 IP
  2. Ant_C

Ant_C Peon

Best Answers:
    Nearly all of my inbound links are from directories, and so far my sites are doing fine.

I think many people are jumping to conclusions here. Just because that line has been removed from the guidelines does not mean that all directories are now worthless.

Only time will tell...

Ant_C, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  3. zrohder

zrohder Banned

Best Answers:
    me too got it from most directories and my sites as well are doing fine.. i was just thinking if in the future if the rankings will affect it.. since they have removed two lines.. but as youve said.. time will tell.. tsk tsk tsk tsk

zr:Dhder

zrohder, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  4. Vrian_Sinth

Vrian_Sinth Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up. I really do feel this is an indication of a larger change in algorithmic strategy on Google's part. It may not be rolled out into the live SERPs yet, but it appears to be in the pipeline.

On a lighter note, I can only hope the value of Dmoz is lowered if not eliminated. What a sad excuse for a directory.

Vrian_Sinth, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    canam likes this.
  5. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    agree with you, dmoz deserves no more and no less link value than any other directory on the internet

canam, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  6. zrohder

zrohder Banned

Best Answers:
    but before wasnt dmoz so popular? even now.. i think.. people sell there website they put on details its dmoz listed.. now that its filled with links... i wonder if google will still value this kind of site directories.. im still getting confused regarding this.. but im going the safe way.. staying away from those directory submissions... im afraid they will soon loose there value...

zr:Dhder

zrohder, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  7. ExpertSEO

ExpertSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    if your competitors can do it, then google can't penalize it...

A sweeping statement but think about it... if your competitor can add your site to a dodgy directory somewhere in seconds, then google can't penalize that link, because you may NOT have added it.

So if you put screwfix.com onto a xxx directory somewhere, do you think google will drop screwfix's pr ? naa .. they can't

The flip side of this logic is of course, if google can not penalize it because it doesn't know if you added it or not, then it MUST totally ignore it...

If you follow me :) trying to over simplify it but you get the drift..

ExpertSEO, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is the most sensible interpretation so far. Besides, there are some paid directories (particularly long standing print directories that are now on the web) where being listed in the directory is important for non-SEO reasons. I can't see Google penalizing someone for paying for a directory listing.

Business Attorney, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  9. akshay123

akshay123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. Only you are claiming that Google no Longer Suggests Directory Submission. Google has not close directory of Itself.:p:p
    http://www.google.com/dirhp?hl=en

Matt Cutts always tell us such things.. But he has not added such thing in his blog.:rolleyes:

How can you say that "Google No Longer Suggests Directory Submission."

What Rubbish.

akshay123, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  10. Alevoor

Alevoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but you got to be polite to all these participants. You are in a public forum.

Alevoor, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  11. newzone

newzone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In my opinion and only my personal opinion Google it's trying to fight "artificial links"

Google is created to offer relevant, natural search results but the directories compromise this natural results, Directories = Made For Backlinks Sites.

Directories are not natural link builing because you go here in DP forum under "Services" pay 50 $ and you are listed in 500 directories ( for money ) even if your site has no value, but you can rank higher than other more valuable sites / services because you bought links, You buy links to artificialy rank higher.

Google i think wants to fight this artificial link building, they started with bidding directories last year.

On the other hand if Google will not fight this artificial link builing the search engine will be more like a PPC engine, You have money pay and you get the first position.

I don't think Google wants this, the money should have nothing to do with the search engine algorithm. The value of a site can't be artificially bough just buying links in 500 directories.

In my opinion in the future all a rich webmaster, company will be able to do is :

1 - pay someone to optimize the page or write quality content and then ... wait.

2 - go for Adwords and pay Google if has money to pay or is impatient.

newzone, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi;

Google always encouraged submitting links to paid and free directories -- like Yahoo! and the Open Directory Project, but now they've removed the bullet point that made that suggestion from their Webmaster Guidelines.

It used to suggest:

But both bullet points have been removed.

does it mean that google stops the dmoz importance? if this is true, it will be a great news

Thanks

trichnosis, Oct 11, 2008 IP
    metros likes this.
  13. SEMSpot

SEMSpot Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes google will now discount your directory backlinks. You will not get penalized for having your site listed in directories, the links just will not be counted towards your stie. Dmoz is nothing but an old, corrupt, run down directory these days. Yahoo and MSN will still count your directory listings as a backlink though.

SEMSpot, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  14. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    That does not mean "Google no longer suggests directory submission" Matt says that submitting to directories are okay, provided that the directory accepts quality sites and is not simply a free-for-all link site. http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/013491.html

bobchrist, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i will be so happy if google stops using the dmoz data

trichnosis, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  16. greatme

greatme Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think all will be happy who dont get listed on that directories.

greatme, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  17. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google want to make its rule.

xc06, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  18. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    May be google removed that so that people stop doing paid directory submissions, as google don't like paid links.

angilina, Oct 11, 2008 IP
    metros likes this.
  19. metros

metros Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post, didn't knew that :)

metros, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  20. metros

metros Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Well, that can be a part answer, no one can really know what's the real reason.
    Maybe they don't like it when million of websites submit to directories :p

metros, Oct 11, 2008 IP