1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it enough or not?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by nick2007, Oct 9, 2008.

Hello,
    I could only write 220 words for the main page of my website. Is it enough for the main site's page or not?
    Of course, the other site's pages will have from 800 to 4000 words.

nick2007, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what else is on your main page... for first time viewers you have to get your message across fairly quickly - who you are and what you do. If the design and other features of the site are strong then you don't always need to speak so much, so a concise intro will usually do.

From an SEO perspective do you have lots of text in your menu system or in features such as "related articles" etc?

Visually does your text fill the page so that the aesthetic is right?

Lever, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    nick2007 likes this.
  3. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what it says. That could be enough. It could be too much. It could be too little.

latoya, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    If your page looks good and reads well then run your homepage URL through this keyword density analyser to get an idea of how well your key phrases perform.

Lever, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  5. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it has the punch, and conveys the message, then there is nothing better than a brief front page. People don't want to read 4000 words of un-wanted material. Your client usually makes up his mind and forms an opinion about your site or your product during the very first paragraph, and if your content is crisp and short, I feel it would prompt propective buyers to hasten up the buying process.

jeewant_gupta_051275, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a rule I suggest to my clients to have a front page that is no longer than the height of a single screen. I view the front page of a website like the cover of a book. It has to have enough information to entice a visitor to visit the rest of the site. It has to make it clear within seconds what it is you or your site offers to potential customers. It has to give visitors the impression that you know what you are talking about.

If your content entices people to "open your book", then it does its job and that matters much more than how many words or letters it took you to achieve that.

YMC, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    nick2007 likes this.
  7. nick2007

nick2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many thanks. Your answers helped me much.

nick2007, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    Lever likes this.
  8. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you YMC. Actually, it applies to your other pages as well. The most times visitors scroll down a page, the less effective your copy becomes.

cd928, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  9. awe_blue

awe_blue Banned

Best Answers:
    Frankly nick, keep yourself in the place of a website viewer.You wouldn't want unnecessary information about the site you are viewing.
    If you get a brief overview about the site and if its able to help you with your purpose,thats what you'll like.And this is what marketing is about.Be precise and hit the point where it matters.If you plan to fight try wining in 1 blow rather than fighting for hours.

awe_blue, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  10. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    It does depend. I have 378. But I change it. And at times I've had only 200 words. What is between the <h1></h1> tags and in the title tag is the most important.

webgal, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  11. nick2007

nick2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    O'kay, thanks.

nick2007, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  12. tenants-in-common

tenants-in-common Member

Best Answers:
    there is no absolute right or wrong answer to this question. it really depends on the concept of your site. brief introduction is good only for certain design and/or niches. but some web designs require longer introduction and it may go below the fold. there is no hard and fast rule regarding the home page. do what you feel is applicable in your specific setup.

tenants-in-common, Oct 13, 2008 IP