1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Major Issue for Adsense Users: Adblock Plus

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by bbbaldie, Oct 7, 2008.

Adblock Plus is preinstalled on Firefox, and, by default, blocks Adsense. Firefox is rapidly overtaking IE as the browser of choice (for many good reasons). I run several blogs, and my IE share is down to less than 60% on them.

I have one site with 80% IE usage. It supplies 85% of my revenue. The blog sites, accounting for 70% total of my total traffic, provide just 15% of my income.

I believe Adblock Plus is the primary reason for this discrepancy in traffic vs. revenue.

So does Google have any plans to address this issue? If Adblock plus could be turned off/on for individual sites, that would be a positive step. My blog readers know that I only use inobtrusive text ads, and I suspect a large percentage of them would be willing to disable AB+ for my sites IF THEY COULD.

Any chance that positive communication could take place between the Powers that Be and the AB+ developers?

I would think that Google is feeling a pinch from this extension and would be inclined to react.

bbbaldie, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  2. dpsubi1

dpsubi1 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    is it preinstalled :confused:

i think the user can install that plugin if needed.

dpsubi1, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  3. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its not pre installed for me atleast and if it is google surely will do something as it affects thier company also

Bohra, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  4. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The answer from google is Google Chrome. Period!

FF has adblock by default? am not sure if this is true. I am opera fan anyway.

godmode, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  5. Jackie_W

Jackie_W Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm on firefox and adblock isnot installed as default on my system, not sure if you try a "new" firefox install though will try it on new pc i'm just setting up!

Jackie_W, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  6. marukochan

marukochan Banned

Best Answers:
    yeah, most of internet user don't know about ABP

marukochan, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  7. SEOTherapy

SEOTherapy Banned

Best Answers:
    No, it's not pre-installed! Maybe you have that feature on your web browser because someone else installed it for you and I think you should know that Mozilla is making approximately $57 million annual revenue to have Google as their default search engine.

SEOTherapy, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  8. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In IE if you turn off JavaScript, then anything using JS will not run - including AdSense. I would say this is a non-issue, regardless of the share FF gains in the browser market.

Phynder, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  9. bbbaldie

bbbaldie Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, I'm running Ubuntu, not Windows. A Hardy install gave me FF with AB+ preinstalled. And I could have sworn that the last install I did for a Windows user had it too.

bbbaldie, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  10. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My Fedora distro has FF, but AB is not preinstalled. It sounds like Ubuntu made a conscious decision to install it. The regular FF that is downloaded for Windows does not have AB preinstalled.

Phynder, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  11. Kuldeep1952

Kuldeep1952 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use Firefox in Windows and Adblock Plus is not installed, since I can see all Adsense Ads.

Kuldeep1952, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  12. dpsubi1

dpsubi1 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i am sure you haven't downloaded the FF from mozilla site. you might downloaded from somewhere else where it comes with all required extensions. I tried similiar one for flock from some other site. it comes with 53 extensions. :D

dpsubi1, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  13. Gallito

Gallito Peon

Best Answers:
    FF most certainly does not have it installed by default, they supported solely by a deal with Google..

Gallito, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  14. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As other people have pointed out Adblock Plus does not come preinstalled on Firefox, so that's probably not it. I do think that webmasters, non-newbies, and otherwise web-savvy people are more likely to use Firefox than IE, and those very same people are the ones who tend to be "ad blind". I would bet that your site and your blogs are in different niches, which can definitely make a difference in Adsense CTR.

Nonny, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  15. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AdBlock isn't preinstalled with FF.

I do use it and love it.

I wouldn't worry as the users who do click the ads aren't smart enough to install such extensions.

Peace,

Barti1987, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  16. I-G4L

I-G4L Peon

Best Answers:
    It is only preinstalled on Linux, and special "pre-addon" packages.

And google CAN'T do anything about it really. The adblocker just blocks certain pieces of Javascript, so Google would have to use something other than Javascript to display ads, which is HIGHLY unlikely, no wait. That's what silverlight ads are for. Google will use Microsoft's technology for ads!!!!..... (The last part is a joke, in case you don't know what silverlight is)

I-G4L, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  17. jamesplato

jamesplato Active Member

Best Answers:
    The add on to watch is IE7pro which is an adblock plus for IE...frankly I am not worried...right now. My problem with adblock is it penalizes all sites out of the box. There needs to be a way to distinguish sites that are evil and sites that are trying to make some extra revenue in a fair way. The issue is you might forget to turn off your adblock and penalize good sites, who are niche/small sites which rely on adsense to cover hosting costs.

jamesplato, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  18. chamsters

chamsters Member

Best Answers:
    definitely not preinstalled. and internet explorer's new addon interfaces allows you to install adblock for IE too.

you can request users to disable adblock for your site, there is an option to exclude adblock protection on a per domain basis.

chamsters, Oct 11, 2008 IP