1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Change in Directory Effect on SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by BenGregg, Oct 5, 2008.

I was looking at https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and I noticed the keyword "Glitches", is a lot more popular than "Glitching". I have a Glitching Archive on my site under the Directory /glitching/, if I changed the directory name to /glitches/ would it help my SEO at all. Also, I realize I would have to redirect my /glitching/ folder to /glitches/ so Google wouldn't link to any 404 pages. Do you guys think it would even be worth it?

BenGregg, Oct 5, 2008 IP
  2. SoulfulDude

SoulfulDude Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it would be well worth it. If you are on linux 301 the glitching folder pages to the glitches. You will defo benefit from the right keyword as the folder. More so, I think, than even page names. However, domain.com/glitches/glitches.com would be the ultimate

SoulfulDude, Oct 5, 2008 IP
  3. BenGregg

BenGregg Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the advice, right now the site is gamerglitch.com/glitching/, but I will change it to gamerglitch.com/glitches/

BenGregg, Oct 5, 2008 IP
  4. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Be sure to do a 301 perm redirect so you don't lose any traffic or links from the old url... then you'll be fine. Honestly though, you may want to consider leaving the url as 'glitches' and giving the page title and h1 (or h2) tag 'glitching'... that will help you get traffic for both terms... of course you'd want to use both terms in context on the page. What's in the title and heading tags is much more important than the url... but I've seen some sites get the url bolded in certain searches so the url does have some weight. On page optimization 101 (or maybe 102).

mdvaldosta, Oct 5, 2008 IP
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Why not just change the title of that section, changing the url will not help you in any way.
    It would of been best to start with the way you want, but it's not worth reindexing because you want the url to show something a little different.

hope that helps

Brandon Sheley, Oct 5, 2008 IP
  6. BenGregg

BenGregg Peon

Best Answers:
    I never knew the Heading Tags mattered, I'll be sure to take advantage of that. Also, I've decided I won't be making any URL changes, I'll be editing the context of the pages. Thanks for all the advice.

BenGregg, Oct 5, 2008 IP