1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Google recovery coming ??

Discussion in 'Google' started by wisam74us, May 27, 2006.

I v mentioned in a replay of mine that I have about 50 websites affected the last months by the strange Google behavior (dropping pages) ,dropping 90% of the indexed pages for some websites, and keep the others with just the homepage indexed , and a week before I also mentioned that I v noticed a recovery on one of my websites (but I didn t say it that loud cause 1/50 is not that much ), the last three days I v witnessed a recovery for about more 10 sites, I don t know if any of you see the same .
    The recovery represented by :
    Getting back many dropped pages to the index and SERPS eventually .
    site: shows those pages but not supplementary pages
    To whom may ask if I did something distinguished to get this recovery I want to say :
    I just run Google site map for 2 sites of the 50
    Those two sites is recovering now
    The rest 8 recovering sites I didn t do anything but being patient and wait hoping the best

I hope for you and me a prominent full recovery with Google

wisam74us, May 27, 2006 IP
  2. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dropped way out of google on 1 site (except for typing in the domain name it would come up with a result).... but this is picking up again for the past few days now and things are looking a lot better.

MatthewN, May 27, 2006 IP
  3. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have had a lot more of my webpages being index by google yesterday i had 2 pages index now i have eight, all the pages are being index again slowly.

chachacallis, May 27, 2006 IP
  4. teckie

teckie Peon

Best Answers:
    experiencing the same as well, caused quite a bit of loss in income as well, so is the PR update coming?

teckie, May 27, 2006 IP
  5. Caios

Caios Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is geting better.

Caios, May 27, 2006 IP
  6. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is expected to be repaired around 2008, about the time they become the #3 search engine.

SportsOutlaw, May 27, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. SIK

SIK Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your speculations or something official?

SIK, May 27, 2006 IP
  8. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it is official - straight from Google.

Phynder, May 27, 2006 IP
  9. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol my websites are 'recovering' for 2 weeks already :D:D

irka, May 27, 2006 IP
  10. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    The more things a company crams into an algorithm, the more problems they are going to have. This has been true from what I have seen all the way back to "AltaVista" in the mid 1990's. The whole search engine marketplace is a "cat and mouse" game between companies that want their results to be pure and webmasters who want to control what comes up when the keywords they track are search for on a SE.

I complement Google for their success during their first five or six years in business because they were "light years" ahead of everyone else when it came to offering relevant results. Even today, the results I see most of the time on their first page are very relevant to what I'm searching for. However, once I search past the first 10 or so listings, things start looking bad and maybe Google knows this too and they are working on improving the results offered on pages two through ten of their search results.

The engineers that work at Google are very smart and well paid people. However, they are only a small part of what is really going on here. Even if Google has one or two hundred of the smartest people in the world working on their search system, my guess is that x10 that number of equally smart folks are working against any changes they make from outside the company. Google can't hire all the smart people and down deep inside, I believe some of their former "very smart" employees have gone into business for themselves and are trying to personally profit from their former employers system.

The last thing Google should try to do is to find a way to solve all its problems with computer code. It can't be done because no matter how well their engineers construct a good system, they will always be overwhelmed by some of the millions of people who work night and day trying to crack that code and beat their system. When "AltaVista" tried this years ago their search results ended up being totally unrelated to what a user for searching for. I remember a short time before they were gobbled up by Yahoo, searching for the keywords "Ford Expedition" and finding three pages of information about "Expeditions" that had nothing to do with a SUV vehicle. This was about the same time I quit using their search all together.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Google is heading down this same path, but they and all other major search engines need to be careful when they start making major changes to their core system. It's the unexpected consequence of those changes, which could hurt the company’s product and reputation, more than helping it stay in control of what it sees as relevant results.

markhutch, May 27, 2006 IP
    adamovic likes this.
  11. vamoosevarmint

vamoosevarmint Peon

Best Answers:
    I sure hope they are coming around, I lost most of my indexed pages a month ago, they came back for a week and are now gone again since last week. I am looking forward to this problem to being resolved soon.

Dan

vamoosevarmint, May 30, 2006 IP
  12. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    For all any of us know, the problems may have already been fixed, but considering the size of Google’s database it might take two or three months for the fix to filter through the whole system. Someone said once that changing a huge system like Google was kind of like turning an aircraft carrier around at sea. It takes a lot of time and a lot of ocean to get the job done.

markhutch, May 30, 2006 IP
  13. adamovic

adamovic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google use algorithms which, in their opinion, perform well speaking of statistics. They use different algorithms since the webmasters start to spoil initial PageRank. But there is an statistical error in each algorithm. In billions of pages error accumulate and the resulted SERPs started to be awfull.

What I'm seeing nowadays in Google SERP is accumulation of statistical and numberical errors of their algorithms. For some queries Yahoo perform better indeed. Until the last update Google used to be best, but things have changed.

adamovic, May 30, 2006 IP
  14. Helmethead3

Helmethead3 Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm so official google #3 now, nice

I got all my pages dropped except the index page. I'm back up to 5 now lol.

I had a 302 re-direct which i changed last nite to 301....google should like that?

Helmethead3, May 30, 2006 IP
  15. Cartman

Cartman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had one site that dropped from 12K pages to 1, and has been stuck there for the past 3 weeks. This morning I noticed that it's now reporting 760 pages indexed, so things are definitely moving in the right direction. (Unfortunately, it's labeled 759 of those pages Supplemental Results!)

Cartman, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think those are probably just old results showing up, Cartman. I switched my forum from phpBB to SMF a few months back. When this mess started, all the new pages except the index page got dropped and Google was showing a few thousand old phpBB pages as Supplemental. After a while, the phpBB pages were dropped but no change to the SMF pages (still just the index page). This morning, I see over a thousand of those old non-existant phpBB pages back again.

Google is in reverse and accelerating.

minstrel, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  17. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No question about it - when Google does something, they do it to the extreme.

I was recovering last week in the index - from 200 to 600 pages indexed. Now back down to 400. And accelerating towards 0.

Phynder, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  18. x_yeti

x_yeti Peon

Best Answers:
    In a hierarchical organisation it only takes one person high up to undo all the good work done by those below them. Now that Google is a corporate heavyweight the decisions made to make more money aren’t necessarily good for the service they provide. I wonder how many site owners who had their pages de-indexed turned to PPC to keep traffic flowing into their sites.

x_yeti, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  19. b-directory

b-directory Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad that other people have also been noticing this. We had over 15,000 pages indexed and for a while it dropped to about 120!! However, some of you are reporting an improvement, for our site, we see little changes. Some days its 700, others 300, but most of the time still a lowly 100-200. We've suffered a drop in income on this, so I hope that what ever is going on, its fixed quick!:mad:

b-directory, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  20. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I read somewhere that Matt Cutts said the “BigDaddy” roll out finished a couple of months ago and the old Google system was turned off. I wonder if they have the opinion of turning the old Google back on until things improve? My guess is that once they shut it down they were totally committed to the new infrastructure. I’m sure the folks at Google will eventually get these issues worked out, but like I’ve said in other message threads it is going to take a lot of time.

When they fix one problem, they may be creating two or three more that didn’t exist before the latest fix. I’ve never written software, but know folks that do. They tell me the most important thing to remember when writing software is to save your work all the time to different files because if you don’t it just increase your workload when problems are found down the road. I can only guess that algorithm’s work in a similar way. Hopefully, Google can find out were the system started going wrong, delete the newer additions to the system and rewrite the newer portions to work the way they should.

markhutch, Jun 1, 2006 IP