1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword density: How much is too much????

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by ablaye, May 26, 2006.

I read somewhere that you should repeat at least 3 times your targeted keywords in the body of your website.
    I was wondering if there is an upper limit on how much you can repeat your keywords before they start hurting you with the search engines (i.e. the search engines discard them as spam).
    Anyone here knows????

ablaye, May 26, 2006 IP
  2. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    10% is commonly accepted as way too much. 7% is said by some to be ok, but many think it's too much. About 3% is thought to good by many, but some insist on a little more. The most important thing to realize is that your text needs to remain readable for human visitors while you are trying to get 'many' keywords in your text.

do it justice, but don't get crazy

MaxPowers, May 26, 2006 IP
  3. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

Keyword density is not a phrase or even a concept that is used by search engineers at Google, Yahoo, MSN etc.

The importance of a keyword or a keyphrase on a page for any given query depends on the content in which the term is used not on keyword density or frequency counts.

Search engines use term vector models but unless you are good at maths you can forget about that as well.

Just write your pages for the user and have your keywords and keyphrases appear naturally on the page.

- Michael

Michael, May 26, 2006 IP
  4. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't mind reading about that - where did you get your information?

hooperman, May 27, 2006 IP
  5. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Here is a 101 on the Vector Model.

Here is Krishna Bharat's (principal scientist at Google) Term Vector Database paper.

Here is Dr. Garcia explaining why "...SEOs/SEMs that spend their time adjusting keyword density values, going after keyword weight tricks or buying the latest "keyword density analyzer" are wasting their time and money" Term Vector Theory.

And more reading from Google Scholar.

Hope that helps...

From an unhealthy addiction to mathematics and years of experience in SEO :)

- Michael

Michael, May 27, 2006 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  6. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ha ha, thanks for the info Michael! Looks like I've got some reading to do.

hooperman, May 27, 2006 IP
  7. seoBear

seoBear Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Michael!

BTW, perhaps you could also provide some links to the "Topic Distillation" papers (except for the widely known paper authored by Monika Henzinger and Krishna Bharat), could you?

Thank you in advance

seoBear, May 27, 2006 IP
  8. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Topic Distillation using Query-Sensitive Tuning and Cohesiveness Filtering

Homepage Finding and Topic Distillation using a Common Retrieval
    Strategy

Automatic Topic Identification Using Webpage Clustering (PostScript file)

Analyzing fine-grained hypertext features for enhanced crawling and topic distillation

- Michael

Michael, May 28, 2006 IP
  9. seoBear

Best Answers:
    Thank you VERY much, Michael
    You rock!

seoBear, May 28, 2006 IP
  10. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of the information above frightens me. ;) While I agree with all that's been previously stated, it's nice to have a "working model" for developing content that's palatable to the SEs, and the maths thing is probably too much work.

So, based on my experience, and what I've read, here are some GENERAL guidelines:

1. Keyword density of 3% - 6%
    2. Keywords at very beginning of page, somewhere in body of page, and at very end of page
    3. Use of H1 tags, bold, and italics to emphasize keywords, but NOT simultaneously.

I say GENERAL because the most important factor is readability - if your content doesn't read naturally, and isn't a good experience for your visitors, you'll find it difficult to achieve long-term success. So these guidelines should be secondary to writing quality, readable content. :)

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, May 31, 2006 IP
  11. seoBear

Best Answers:
    Sam, you're absolutely damn right

But please try to get in top 10 for some highly competitive *adult* keyword (for example) - you'll see that it's [almost] impossible to do this with your GENERAL guidelines

seoBear, Jun 2, 2006 IP