1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

just an idea.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by brucejohns, Oct 3, 2008.

I came up with this idea. And was wonedring if that is even legal. So i thought ill ask your advice.
    So i know of someone, who might become famous one day. Could i register a domain on their name and then sell them to them in future? Or is that exploiting them?

Basically there is this tv show. For new businesse's - and there are few companies who have not got a domain for themselves yet, I check and it is still available on go daddy, Would it be ok for me to buy it now and then sell it to them once thay want it?

Thanks

brucejohns, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  2. abercrombie

abercrombie Peon

Best Answers:
    if it's been trademarked, no it's not ok. if it has not been trademarked, then legally you are fine. that doesn't mean that they won't attempt to sue you though for cybersquatting.

abercrombie, Oct 3, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  3. funa

funa Peon

Best Answers:
    If you register ANY domain then it is yours. You have rights to use it. If you use it for some normal business not related to the "future famous person" then you will have no problems.

funa, Oct 3, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  4. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    If it is an exact name, you might have a fight on your hands in the future if they decide
    to try and forcefully take it.
    I am not saying they will necessarily win, but it is potentially a fight.
    If you do go ahead with the registration, assuming it is not already trademarked (as pointed out by abercrombie),
    one thing you could do (as stated by funa, is to use it in a manner that in no way relates to that person/show).

mozzeratti, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  5. WandaZ

WandaZ Peon

Best Answers:
    It's possible to succeed on a cybersquatting claim with an unregistered trademark. Merely searching active trademark registrations will not ensure that you are protected.

WandaZ, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  6. NameWrangler

NameWrangler Guest

Best Answers:
    I heard that jimcarrey.com was registered for the sole purpose of selling it to Jim Carrey. He obviously doesn't want it.

NameWrangler, Jan 7, 2009 IP