1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rate an IT Services website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by jim_h, Oct 2, 2008.

http://www.glenco-enterprises.com

First off - I know. Trust me, I know. Any constructive criticism would be great.

I guess the main question I need answered (not for my purposes, but for relaying to the powers that be), is do you have any idea what the company does when you hit the main page?

I'm in a position where I need to provide some hard evidence that the design is rough (to put it lightly), outside of my own opinion.

Thanks everyone

jim_h, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  2. fsav

fsav Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I've seen much worse, in fact. Therefore I'd rather go with the "how to improve it" path than with the "why it sucks" one :p

The design would be better, in my opinion, with more margins between the text, the picture and the frame around them. And the active menu item would better be the same size as other "mouseover" items.

As for having any idea of what the company does, well erm, no, it didn't jump at me. After reading the paragraph and taking a look at the menu it was very clear, though. I guess I'd put at least some keywords under/around the logo, a picture more relevant of the type of job the company does, and I'd put much more space in that first page paragraph (bullet points or whatever).

fsav, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  3. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I read all the text on the page and I still have no idea what the site is
    about, you should have some text on the first page explaining to your
    visitors what your site is about. You should add more content to the page.

kingofsanda, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  4. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Overall the design isn't too bad. They definitely need some keywords somewhere telling people what the company does. The page title would be a good place to mention that. There should be a brief paragraph near the top that explains what the company does.

vansterdam, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  5. utzjohn

utzjohn Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that you need to focus the text on the homepage on more about what you do and what types of clients you are looking for... Also, I think you should consider a free open source program such as drupal or joomla to build your site, using a template to give it a more professional look and feel. I think there is an expectation out there that if you are in technology you should have a website that is at least up to par.

utzjohn, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  6. ashu.pixelsmedia

ashu.pixelsmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Design is preety simple...

There are new design concepts... like web 2.0

you can surely go for those...

Re-arrange your font....

Thanks

ashu.pixelsmedia, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  7. jim_h

jim_h Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the constructive criticism guys. I hope you didn't hold anything back. I should have mentioned that it wasn't my design, so I have no attachment to it. If it were up to me I'd scrap it 100% and start fresh. Your comments are most appreciated, thanks again.

jim_h, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  8. sjstrm

sjstrm Peon

Best Answers:
    awesome design

sjstrm, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  9. Markwhite

Markwhite Guest

Best Answers:
    Too many different font sizes, also don't like the menu at the bottom of the page. What happens when you have lot's of text on the front page, too much scrolling.

Markwhite, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  10. Bukvochka

Bukvochka Member

Best Answers:
    Not bad, but design is very simple and i think it needs more colour.

Bukvochka, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  11. FreeOnlinePokerSoftware

FreeOnlinePokerSoftware Peon

Best Answers:
    No heading, no idea what the website is about. No one is going to read that big paragraph without headings.

12. jerictero

jerictero Peon

Best Answers:
    The design elements are fine though I would recommend the finetuning of a few items.
    (1) Since its virtual security systems you are offering, I would suggest for you to make it more obvious with a one liner or a keyword phrase so that readers will immediately recognize your service. Integrating a relevant photo on your homepage (other than the building) will also help to this end. (2) Cut down long lines of text - use bullets or if not, highlight important items (3) I don't see any keywords, better select a few and use them with your content Nonetheless, I like the use of gray text coz its easy on the eyes.

jerictero, Oct 6, 2008 IP