1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Averaging 2,000 unique views a day, making basically nothing

Discussion in 'General Business' started by KornheisersCartel, Sep 29, 2008.

I started a sports blog 6 weeks ago, not with a sole a focus on making money, but rather just hoping to produce good content and develop readership. Well, I feel like I'm getting a surprisingly solid number of visitors for how long we've been around and hope to turn it into profit. It seems from reading these threads that I should be making a solid amount of money.

This month the site has averaged nearly 2,000 unique viewers a day, with a high of 8,500, will likely hit close to 100,000 page views for the month.

I have Project Wonderful and Ad-Sense ads up.

Where am I going wrong? Should I be courting advertisers some other way? Is the traffic I'm getting even significant or a pittance?

Thanks.

KornheisersCartel, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  2. Trioman

Trioman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should try to add some other ads on your blog besides adsense. why don't you try to search Clickbank or paydotcom for sports related products. Clickbank and Paydotcom now have widgets that you can put on your blog that will promote products that relate to your blog's content.

Trioman, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  3. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maybe your traffic does not convert
    where is the traffic comming from ?

social bookmarking sites ?
    google ?
    other referrals ?

we might be able to help if you posted or PMed URL

Chios, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  4. kozyavka

kozyavka Active Member

Best Answers:

first of all congrats to you with a good start!:) For a 6 week old blog you are doing perfectly fine, I would say that you are doing great. Now you are doing absolutely right thing as you are trying to monetize the blog;). And this is something that takes time. Use different options, including

- blog reviews
    - kontera
    - selling 125x125 spots
    - selling blogroll links
    - getting affiliated through Linkshare and CJ

Here is a few links that might be helpful

making money online

making money by recommending professionals

how to monetize a blog

kozyavka, Sep 29, 2008 IP
    KornheisersCartel likes this.
  5. icjackson

icjackson Active Member

Best Answers:
    All of the advice that has been given is excellent, so I won't repeat it; I'll simply add to it.

Think about who your visitors are and why they visit your blog. If you don't already use Google Anaytics, start using it so that you can begin to collect and interpret your site visit statistics. Try to determine what it is your visitors want and need, and then provide it for them.

And don't be afraid to think outside the box - for example, although you have a sports blog, your visitors may be into tailgating, so well placed banner ads for barbeque grills would be attractive to those readers.

I hope this thread gives you some good ideas :-D

icjackson, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  6. KornheisersCartel

KornheisersCartel Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all that have replied. I can't believe I forgot to post the URL.

www.kornheiserscartel.com

We write sports editorials, mostly humorous. Around 1/3 of our traffic has come from StumbleUpon to be honest. We've had a handful of pieces go "viral", at least when looking at them in the context of the number of views our site has received. We typically get around 500 direct visitors daily and the rest of our traffic comes from other sites linking to individual pieces, links ending up on sports message boards, and StumbleUpon. Google has contributed 2.5% of traffic.

I've started and commented on a few other DP threads in hopes of finding tips to improve our CTR and lowering our bounce rate. I didn't really know what those terms meant until very recently, so I'm learning a lot from this forum thanks to all the commentors.

As far as selling 125X125 ads... I'm pretty clueless as far as where to begin? Are there forums or sites where you can sell ad space and sell blogroll links. Each option would be pretty ideal I think.

And I thank everyone for offering affiliate selling programs and like the tailgating idea. Do those actually work and could I pull more money by implementing a few? I'll definitely look into those.

Any new tips or links based off what I've added above and what you see on my site will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

7. kozyavka

kozyavka Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, nice blog! Like the design, looks one-of-a-kind:) Here are few more tips to increase traffic to your blog

1. submit the url to the blog directories There are many lists of blog directories, but this one is verified

2. get traffic from entrecard community, get more info here

kozyavka, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  8. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would put an adsense 250x250 image-only ad at the top right of the blog, right above the "Our Staff" Box.

Phase out the 728x90 ads on the landing page and on individual blog posts since they aren't converting.

Nite, Sep 29, 2008 IP
    ApocalypseXL likes this.
  9. KornheisersCartel

KornheisersCartel Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice!

10. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    stumbleupon usually does not send traffic that converts
    (they are not the clicky kind)
    they are just browsing for a few seconds and back to their stumbleupon bar

the layout and ad placements seems to have no faults
    but you might want to experiment (as people said) with different sources of income

- selling ads on your own (post your offer in the Buy Sell Trade forum here)
    - different CPC or affiliate networks

some improvements I would do:

There is too much space between the top advertisement and the header graphic
    consider making this minimal I personally would take the top ad away

I would bring the right side advertisements where "OUR STUFF" is now

Chios, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  11. KornheisersCartel

KornheisersCartel Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks... I will do away with the top project wonderful ad. For a better looking site, it's worth it to forfeit the 10 cents a day. And I'll head right over to the Buy Sell Trade Forum (didn't know anything about it before). So that's a big help, too.

Does anyone know much about Yardbarker's advertising network? I've heard it's per view and wondering if it might make sense for us since they cater to sports sites.

KornheisersCartel, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  12. KornheisersCartel

KornheisersCartel Peon

Best Answers:
    I apologize for being so ignorant, but I just scrolled through the buy/sell/trade section, and have no idea what would be a reasonable/appropriate price to ask for in exchange for ads. It seems I'll be getting a lot more than I expected if there's a market? Thanks for anyone who can give me an idea.

13. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you to use affiliated link to get more earning and courting advertiser by selling ads space

mentos, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  14. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on how much your advertisers are willing to pay for it
    start small throw in a price that is obviously better than your adsense
    monthly income and just arrange for 1 month

try to see how much other related sites (comparing Unique visitors as well)
    sell you kind of advertisement

see if there is lots of interest increase the price next month
    its all trial and error

but basically its OK to assume (cheap end of the price range)
    at least $1/1000 views thus if you have 100 000 views / month
    you can probably charge $100/month but always let them know
    that your prices are negotiable since you don't know their real value....

Chios, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  15. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    if I were you. I would put a opt in box to get the name sand emails of your readers. Then make an regualar ezine out of it promoting different businesses related to your theme. It really is a great way to promote something and make money by adding the personal touch

ErikJ, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  16. KornheisersCartel

KornheisersCartel Peon

Best Answers:
    absolutely on the affiliate program ideas...
    thanks Chios, once again, for your personalized help. I'll try to get up to 25 posts so I can try that.

17. Kim Roach

Kim Roach Peon

Best Answers:
    I would start looking for direct advertisers in your market to advertise on a monthly basis.

Plus, I would also want to start building a list. Your list is one of THE most important assets in your business. You can start building your list by setting up an opt-in box on your blog.

Kim Roach, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  18. Tooschee

Tooschee Active Member

Best Answers:
    maybe some CPM companies? See this list. For example the first one on the list pays up to 1.80$ per 1000 unique popups, so with Your 2,000 uniques day ( assuming they are US/UK traffic mostly ) You should be able to earn about 3.6$/day from a single CPM company, that's 108$/month. Also good idea is to signing up to few CPM companies and having a banner rotator, so that every pageview of the user count - You could be earning a lot if done this properly :)

Tooschee, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  19. DanielKemp

DanielKemp Peon

Best Answers:
    I was watching a bunch of Gary Vaynerchuk's videos and he says to go find sponsors. Search google for your keywords and then go to the sponsors on those AdWords and ask if they want to advertise on your site.

DanielKemp, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  20. HVH

HVH Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried selling banner space? THat usually will bring in a great deal of income for you.

HVH, Sep 30, 2008 IP