1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

For the people posting about PR updates...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Vic_mackey, Sep 27, 2008.

You should understand that the toolbar pagerank is pretty much worthless and already weeks/months out of date.

The toolbar pagerank is just a snapshot taken a long time ago, it has no reflection on what the "real" pagerank is.

Let me show you with an example. Check freefootball.net, its toolbar pagerank is 2. But look at its backlink profile, it has lots of pr4 and pr5 backlinks. I know when those backlinks were acquired and it was a couple of months ago. Clearly they are not being taken into account in the pagerank2 toolbar PR - this tells me that the snapshot when they took the toolbar PR is at least 2 months stale already.

Really toolbar pagerank is only of any importance if your business model revolves around selling text links for PR. And if thats the case then I would suggest a new business model is in order!

Vic_mackey, Sep 27, 2008 IP
    Gallito and lycos like this.
  2. Resident79

Resident79 Peon

Best Answers:
    Perfectly true. But I think that most of the people know this. But it is an easy way to compare yourself with others. Although it does not make a lot of sense.

But sometimes you just have to show that yours is longer than theirs ;)

Resident79, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  3. vstar

vstar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, PR is over rated

I have several websites that are PR 0 and yet they out rank my competitors with PR 4 or 5 (for the most competitive keywords)

vstar, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  4. DomainMagia

DomainMagia Peon

Best Answers:
    According to Matt Cutts their PR data is actual after toolbar update. I believe Google just does not consider all links during some "link sandbox" time. Quote from Matt Cutts blog:

Lots of folks ask questions like: “Is this PageRank from day X or day Y? And it looks like backlinks are from day Z?”

Really, I wouldn’t worry about it–I’m not even sure myself. At some point we take our internal PageRanks, put them on a 0-10 scale, and export them so that they’re visible to Google Toolbar users. If you’re splitting hairs about the exact date that backlinks were taken from, you’re probably suffering from “B.O.” (backlink obsession) and should stop and go do something else for a bit until the backlink obsession passes. I highly recommend keyword analysis, looking at server logs to figure out new content to add, thinking of new hooks to make your site attract more word-of-mouth buzz, pondering how to improve conversion once visitors land on your site, etc.

I’ll do a follow-up. Supplemental Challenged said: “The fact that Google can only create a PR update that is a full quarter behind the times is awfully troubling.”

I believe that I’ve said before that PageRank is computed continuously; there are machines that take inputs to the PageRank algorithm at Google and compute the resulting PageRanks. So at any given time, a url in Google’s system has up-to-date PageRank as a result of running the computation with the inputs to the algorithm. From time-to-time, that internal PageRank value is exported so that it’s visible to Google Toolbar users

DomainMagia, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  5. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    Good job, man
    How do you achieve it and what tactic and trick do you use on your site ?
    Could you give me some indication ?
    PM me , If you wish
    Many Thanks. Sir.

justinlorder, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  6. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    doesn't really surprise me. everytime there is a PR update, lot of excited people (or frustrated people) can't wait to share it with the whole world

sultanofseo, Sep 27, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  7. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree and the example which have given above is a true reflection of the current scenario. There's a delay in the updating process and somehow, there's nothing much we can do about it. Well for those who sell links, you can't blame them for getting agitated everytime there's an update.

lycos, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  8. Gallito

Gallito Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, the toolbar is just a snapshot which explains why my blog is currently at PR 0 despite a good amount of quality backlinks. The snapshot was taken before I had even added content :)

Gallito, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  9. brian65

brian65 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whether or not PageRank is worthless, for my new sites I experience a distinct jump in traffic in the 1 to 2 weeks running up to a toolbar export. Does anyone else experience this? Is it a sign that Pr/ SERPS ranking is recalculated fairly close to an export?

brian65, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  10. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Brian65, that is unrelated. The toolbar PR is not linked to the serps, so that is just luck that it happened in the same time period.

Vic_mackey, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  11. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree man, I have PR 7 and PR 6 backlinks (dofollow) but only got PR 3 - it must be a snapshot

simonspurr, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  12. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We also have to remember, even with several high PR backlinks and we still have a low PR is not solely relied on high PR. Google takes into account other things about your site besides high PR backlinks to give your site an equally high PR.

But anyways back to VC. Nice post and well said. But I dont think many will pay attention. It may take a year to more for many to realize what you just wrote. And for those who are constantly posting are in it for fame or link selling. In which both eventually dry up for that person.

lpstong, Sep 29, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  13. mytvtalk

mytvtalk Active Member

Best Answers:
    id rather higher rankins in the search engines than higher pr

mytvtalk, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  14. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Mytvtalk, I agree. Just trying to make the point that people are fussing over something that is pretty much irrelevant, and already out of date anyway.

15. mattay87

mattay87 Guest

Best Answers:
    So how far behind is the google page rank how long will it take for google to realise the links that I have now. Do you think they will be included in the next update?

mattay87, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  16. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Hard to say as they won't index (or take their PR snapshot) of all sites at the same time. All that matters for now is that your new links are indexed in google, then they will be reflected in the only thing that matters - the search results.

bogart likes this.