Google punishing Social Bookmarkers?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by gregc, Sep 28, 2008.

1. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    Most of the Social Bookmarking sites use "nofollow" , so..it's just time waste if you are trying to build backlinks from them.. Use them for traffic, not for backlinks.

tendulkar2, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  2. rubeina

rubeina Invisible Staff Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I guess the thing is not to use social bookmarks alone if you just want to get higher PR, social bookmarking is good for traffic (useless traffic as some say but it depends on your site). Just want to say that you cannot blame bookmarking sites for not getting higher PR. There is a website I have been working on, it now has a PR5 and I have done a LOT of bookmarking on it.

rubeina, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  3. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    but pligg based so may sites are allowing follow attribute :) you can try with those ;)

chandan123, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  4. pawanpandey78

pawanpandey78 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

LOL Google is so interesting, Some time they good and some time they bad. Why so, so confusion what we must do.............Is SEO is going to end ?

Always we got news that Google can spam you if you do this this etc

Google need to be publicly open that what we do and what we not ???

pawanpandey78, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  5. event-hire

event-hire Peon

Best Answers:
    It may just be the start of Google's approach to social networking and its effect on PR

event-hire, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  6. CommonDavid

CommonDavid Peon

Best Answers:
    Social bookmarking links and directory links are in the process of being devalued. Basically anything you can spam will become devalued in the future with the way that google is going.

This doesn't mean that they're not still valuable, however, as natural backlinks often come from both of these sources (more often social bookmarking sites of course).

CommonDavid, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  7. lxguy

lxguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Social bookmarks can give web sites traffic.That's the key point.

lxguy, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  8. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the social bookmarking site use nofollow tag, and even if they dont use it, the links comes from pages which do not have much weight them self. So I guess, Social Bookmarking is not going to help to increase a site's PR.

angilina, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  9. Resident79

Resident79 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not know if Google punishes social-bookmarkings. But they should.

And like it was said before: less PR from social-bookmarking might also happen because many services changed to nofollow.

Resident79, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  10. killoldesai

killoldesai Active Member

Best Answers:
    so far social bookmarking is giving my sites traffic and my site is also improving in SERP for my targeted keywords. But I guess Google will shortly take action on it, as directories got punished.

killoldesai, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  11. greatlogix

greatlogix Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will not stop social bookmarking for PR. I am getting good traffic from social bookmarking sites. Google is changing PR of almost every site, every month. PR is useless thing now.

greatlogix, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  12. alexrkv

alexrkv Peon

Best Answers:
    I got three sites that went up in rank over the weekend
    site one pr0 - pr2
    site two pr1-pr2
    site three pr2-pr3
    I recently added a bookmarking option but only keep it on one page.
    In the last two sites I've made changes and added content.
    On the first I made no change at all and it made the best change. Makes you wonder huh?

alexrkv, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  13. austind72

austind72 Member

Best Answers:
    i mentioned the forum at automarker only cos it's got some good info on there that someone here may find useful, especially since those guys are actually putting it into practice and not theorising.

100% agree on natural link building as a preference. doesn't hurt to use social sites properly where appropiate tho' - like news articles for instance.

and don't under estimate the value of traffic gained from Yahoo which loves backlinks from propeller etc

austind72, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  14. techethos

techethos Peon

Best Answers:
    Very Interesting! It will not take time for google to apply the alogo to ban all social bookmarking backlinks to any site without having any relevancy.

I would like to read more about people thoughts and will also like to contribute.

techethos, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  15. SoulfulDude

SoulfulDude Peon

Best Answers:
    We published an article about this on our blog yesterday. I con't post links yet but you can see it at remoteantispam dot com/blog
    If you have time to read it, please leave a comment and let me know what you think

SoulfulDude, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  16. jrw1978

jrw1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    If Google are against social bookmarking does that mean that by the same token they could penalise blogs that have social bookmarking buttons after each post, because my forex blog has these social bookmarking options after every post.

jrw1978, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  17. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    omg sum peple hear tork lyk they r in da fith grayd ....

I thought web masters were supposed to be a smart bunch of people ? this forum (posts like this) makes us look like 10 year old's with brains the size of a f*^king peanut.

A) I know why so many members are banned these days .... simpleton one line posts that barely make sense.
    B) Very poor spelling and English skills.

C) Do you think that social bookmarking really could have negative effects on websites ? That's the silliest thing that I have heard all year .... if only - it were that easy to sabotage ones web site .... think about it .... yes you could sabotage your competitors web sites so easily .... for that reason alone this claim is a joke ....

thsadmin, Oct 1, 2008 IP
  18. SoulfulDude

SoulfulDude Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmnnn.... Methinks you need to take a chill pill.

This is an international forum. English is not the first language of everybody here and that should not preclude them from seeking or receiving advice here. I think it's excellent that many people from all over the world come to this forum for help and I sometimes find it difficult to understand what they have asked or commented but I can just ask them to try again and clarify it.

However, to discuss your point - what does the possibility of sabotage have to do with this? Google punishes those who receive backlinks from so called 'bad neighbourhoods', regardless of whether it is an exchange or one way link. What's to stop competitors from simply adding your site's URL to several bad directories or request links on your behalf on sites in said bad neighbourhoods?

The question here is whether Google is now beginning to take a dim view on those who are quite clearly trying to abuse their index by "spamming" social networks with useless content. This includes forums where some post useless single line comments with little or no value, as you quite clearly identified.

SoulfulDude, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  19. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yup give it a few more years of repetitious newbs asking the same questions and on a daily basis - and you to will be like me ....

Kinda true .... but this is an English speaking forum .... sure if they are honestly having a crack at it and not using a bogus translator - then good on 'em .... but for farks sake - some of them need to read the entire thread and use the search function before saying something stupid (oh and read the rules).

That's a myth .... bad neighborhoods are erased daily - and within a swift period of time - from the Google index .... hence the links on these pages mean nothing as the pages are not indexed or crawled.

Now if Digg was a bad neighborhood - then it wouldn't be indexed .... the only way that you will be penalized for using and abusing Digg is with constant spam and this results in your site being banned from Digg .... for example ezinearticles.com was banned - but yet they haven't been slapped by Google.

Google wont punish the users ( apart from mentioned above / banning from Digg ), they will instead penalize the website itself - a good example of this is swicki.com - a few of us ran riot and cleaned up there, Google realized and slapped Swickis search engine .... and this was for not maintaining a spam free environment and the content was crap and repetitive .... but again this was Google and not social tagging etc.

So the only sites that will be penalized are social sites who don't maintain the spam within their sites ....

thsadmin, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  20. SoulfulDude

SoulfulDude Peon

Best Answers:
    Furry muff! (Fair enough) :D

SoulfulDude, Oct 2, 2008 IP