1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS Content shows in FF not IE - Noob alert

Discussion in 'CSS' started by jrwall68, Sep 27, 2008.

I'm a noob, CSS is new to me. Lets get that out of the way.

I thought I'd try out CSS by adding a couple of CSS divs to an existing page. Works great in FF, but in IE, the right column of images doesn't show.

I validated and am ok.

Thanks for the help. Here's a sample page.

http://www.abouteating.com/Balsamic_Vinaigrette_Video.htm

jrwall68, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  2. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sensei.Design, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  3. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    Probs a double margin bug. Use padding instead of margins on floats.

007c, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Because bloating out the markup is SO desirable a way to fix bugs.

The page in question is a train wreck. 39 validation errors means it's not html, it's gibberish. Table based layout, menu not marked up as a list, unclosed tags, two different doctypes in the header, etc, etc.

Though here's 99.99% of the problem
    <!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/main.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

Dreamweaver template. I hate how people get duped into thinking ANYTHING Dreamweaver does is worth a damn. Do yourself a huge favor, flush that steaming pile of CRAP, and recode using semantic markup, separation of presentation from content using a plain text editor.

Because to fix this page to be cross browser compatable, my advice is to throw it ALL away and start over from scratch - yes, it's that bad.

deathshadow, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  5. jrwall68

jrwall68 Peon

Best Answers:
    I spent a ton of time searching around looking for a fix on this...then I came to that conclusion my self. Part of the reason the page didn't work was because the coding was impossible to follow, therefore fix. Adding elements over the years, plus my inexperience made it horrible.

So, with that, I'm in the middle of ditching it and starting over with validated coding. It'll make things easier in the long run.

Thanks for looking in to it.

jrwall68, Sep 29, 2008 IP