1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I choose Website Niches - Choosing money making topics, SEO & More

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by pimpinkid, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I feel that many newbies don't really know how to pick a profitable topic for a website or a niche mini site. Here is a guide that I think is beneficial for most. This is exactly how I do it, to make a few thousand dollars a month. Nothing too great, but it's decent.

Enjoy.

How to choose website niches - Make money with websites

pimpinkid, Sep 28, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  2. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    no comments?

3. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    mm.

this sucks haha.

4. drkwrld

drkwrld Active Member

Best Answers:
    it really sucks l;ol

drkwrld, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  5. glendowney

glendowney Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I find picking a topic on something i'm actually interested is better and in the long run more profitable than picking the more profitable niches.

glendowney, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  6. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually he put you though a pretty good run-down of finding a niche to work on. While I don't use those same sources, the process for most successful content site builders is fairly similar. The secret isn't just finding a niche, it's promoting it (which he clearly didn;'t want to go into in that article). I think it's great he's willing to talk a bit about it. It's one of those things most people don't listen to though... kinda how everyone has a website about mesothelioma and real estate.

mdvaldosta, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  7. pfitz

pfitz Member

Best Answers:
    His blog is now offline. A shame because I need some niche selection tips!
    edit: oh the initial link was just bad.

pfitz, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  8. ilexx

ilexx Peon

Best Answers:
    Your article was interesting although it was short and as somebody else said you should also speak further on the promotional ways you market these websites. I am glad that you are focusing on profitable niche's though.

I also wrote an article on Niche Marketing and Search Engine Optimization myself. I think many affiliate marketers neglect niche marketing and that is why they dont earn as much income as they could if they were concentrating on profitable niche markets.

ilexx, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  9. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the critique guys.

I agree that many people think that if they create a website revolving around the highest paying niches they will automatically profit. However, it's far from it. I tend to find that niches that you wouldn't think would do well at all or pay well at all, actually do better then the mainstream higher paying niches.

Simply because, there is less competition in the smaller niches.

10. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find it's also helpful to use a long tail keyword tool and type those into google, analyze results and then go from there.

pimpinkid, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  11. Azher Memon

Azher Memon Peon

Best Answers:
    Pick topic in which you are expert will help more

Azher Memon, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  12. austind72

austind72 Member

Best Answers:
    For quick cash making exercises I tend to go with sites I know will rank well. They don't need to have a load of traffic - the strategy does need some time to get a half decent income rolling tho'.

It's easy enough to determine whether you'll need a load of backlinks or just a few to rank well.

To find potential niche keywords the freekeywords tool at Wordtracker is pretty cool and Google's own keyword external is awesome now it shows the search count.

A quick "exact phrase" search on Google will give a rough idea of what the competition is. If it's under 30,000 or so I simply slap an xml rss feed together with my main keywords and then submit it to feedage.com

If it ranks on the 1st or 2nd page then it's a no-brainer, especially if I buy a domain with those keywords.

Works really well with 3 word phrases.

Then it's just a choice of what to monetise the site with.

Austin.

p.s. nice blog post pimpinkid - spyfu.com is an essential tool

austind72, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  13. Matt1611

Matt1611 Peon

Best Answers:
    find me 10 newbies that know wtf high ctr positioning means.

"and due to the high ctr positioning of my google ads and affiliate marketing links I make a profit."

Matt1611, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  14. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well anyone starting out using adsense SHOULD know what CTR is.
    Otherwise, they haven't done their research.

To Austin:

As you mentioned it is easy enough to determine an estimate of how many backlinks are needed to get a page or niche site ranking in the first pages. The only thing that tends to bring me down is the amount of time it takes the search engines to recognize a new domain as a legit site and not a spam site. After that it's clean sailing, post in a few high PR blogs, submit a few articles with some quality content.

All in all it probably takes about a month to establish a site that can generate a few dollars a day. But if you work on multiple sites at once. Within a month if you are earning $2 from each site roughly (6-7 adsense clicks a day on each) and you have 10 sites up and running. Deduct the cost of domains.

6x10 = $60
    2x10 =$20 (a day)

20x30 = $600 (a month)

Obviously, give or take the time periods and I doubt you will be working on ten sites at once, but you get the idea.

15. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    If it were only that easy. It works out like that sometimes, but more often than not it doesn't.

mdvaldosta, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  16. tinimini

tinimini Peon

Best Answers:
    yeahh this will surely help for those, who are on the frst stage of learning.
    Thanks anyways.

tinimini, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  17. Tuzic.com

Tuzic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    hi,

yes but it doesnt matter because we can all list niches down which might be good 7 depends what for too, because for adsense it would be different, for products its different.

Tuzic.com, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  18. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is true, but it really is all trial and error. If you do it enough times you can limit the losses and increase the profits.

19. ilexx

ilexx Peon

Best Answers:
    It really is trial and error but if you dont do it you will never know...
    Exactly what pimpinkid is talking about is what many wealthy internet marketers are doing.
    With this same strategy Derek Gehl and many other guru types suggest spending 6-10 weeks on each of your niche sites and you should be able to be making profits from each of those sites..

You see once you have a plan and you stick to your plan and follow your plan you can get to Google's first page in no time.. I am talking about doing it big and getting in top 5 in Google..

If you want to get to the top of the search engines just focus heavily on your link campaign.. For niche sites after you have figured out what keywords you want to use, check Google for each of those terms and visit the top three pages and link right click check 'page info' and then click on 'backward link' and you will get to see which pages indexed in Google are linking to this page and if you try to get backlinks from all of your competitors pages you can eventually rank higher than that page. Obviously you want to try get a link from all of those pages aswell. But alot of people stay only focusing on getting those actual websites listed for those keywords and you cant focus on those alone you want to try and get a link from all the websites who are linking to them.

I have never spent any money on SEO in my life but I took the time out to learn how it works and what search engines are looking for. I have implemented everything I have learned and in the past month alone I have been able to one niche site PR1 and take my personal website from a PR1 to a PR2 and these websites arent even linking to each other so they are not feeding each other anything.

Pimpinkid has the right idea and it can work for everyone if you just work with a plan and stick to the plan. I am NO expert but all I have done is apply what I have learned..

- Alexander Day

ilexx, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  20. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I definitely have to agree, having a plan is one of the most important things in this business.

What I look to do is draw up two mind maps, one for the keywords and sub keywords i'm targeting and the other for my niche in general and then just add stuff to the mind map. It's a much easier visual aid in getting stuff going.

:)

pimpinkid, Oct 1, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.